Wheel Locks

We all run upwards of $4000.00 in wheels and tires and the natural things would be to run wheel locks, However it seems like on the trail the difference between a simple tire change and a long painful day is the little wheel lock key. The rosetta stone for a tire change! Question is do you use them? take them off before a wheeling trip? or just guard the key with your life. I am thinking just remove them as the way to go.

Thoughts - Experiences?

JKWrang

Depending upon where you keep the key it shouldn't be too big of a deal. i.e. if you keep your key in your toolbox and always bring the tool box on the trail - what's the issue?

Yknooooow?

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

Thieves don't steal wheels anymore. Well I can't recall anyone I know having their wheels stolen in the past 10 years. They just take the entire car if they want your wheels.

Tigereye10

Im thinking about getting them, just because off all the strange stories I hear from my Mum (works as a dispatcher for the local PD) of the weird folks and things they like to steal around here, Im not too worried about it right now with just getting my 35s but I think when i get some new rims I may change my mind and grab a set and just keep the key for them with my Jeep keys(which never leave my sight haha).

Tree Frog

So I was in an Auto Zone the other day killing some time while my wife was at an appointment and in the lug nut section the had these Lug Lock Removal tools. The kind of looked like a reverse threaded nut. I was like F*** there goes all hope of keeping thieves at bay. Both my work truck and my little hot rod pickup have Gorilla lug locks on them.

I guess I am lucky as my Jeep stays in the garage most of the time. I got the Pro Comp splined lug nuts for two reasons, one to slow down a scumbag thief and the other because the lugs look kinda cool in black on the Rubi rims.

Clem319

I'm torn on getting them too. I fear I'll lose the lock just like I did on my truck 😳. For my spare, I threw loctite on one lug. It's extremely hard to get off by hand. Air compressor will break it free though. Don't really care if if ruins my stock carrier because it an excuse to get a new one.

Remlap

So I was in an Auto Zone the other day killing some time while my wife was at an appointment and in the lug nut section the had these Lug Lock Removal tools. The kind of looked like a reverse threaded nut. I was like F*** there goes all hope of keeping thieves at bay. Both my work truck and my little hot rod pickup have Gorilla lug locks on them.

I guess I am lucky as my Jeep stays in the garage most of the time. I got the Pro Comp splined lug nuts for two reasons, one to slow down a scumbag thief and the other because the lugs look kinda cool in black on the Rubi rims.

I got a black lug nut set and the Gorilla locks from Discount Tire, I really like the look too. Seems like they would be difficult to remove without the key since they (keyed Gorilla's) can be torqued to factory specs.

Friend at Discount told me most keyed locks shouldn't be torqued but Gorilla is an exception, don't know if that is true but they seem sturdy.

Hopefully slows em' down enough to deter them anyway.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the Mopar ones on my Jeep. I don't feel they are an issue as long as you keep the key in the Jeep all the time. On a trip with another forum member (not to be named...haha) he had gussets installed the week prior. While heading back he clipped a rock and cut the sidewall. Thats when he determined that the lock key had not been returned to him. It took about an hour with a screw driver, hammer, 13/16 and 20mm 12 point sockets, and ratchet to get them off and him back on the road. He did how ever have all 5 extra lug nuts so we were good there..haha. It ws all good though, got to apply a technique I'd only seen on youtube and it worked well. Thanks again Tweetie...;)

JDDK

We just had someone try to steal a front wheel. They left a single nut on it- a locklug. It jacked up the wheel and ruined all the studs. Also freaked my wife out when it wobbled and she realized she could have rolled with kids inside.

My thought is to go with 3 gorillas and two regular nuts per wheel. This will force 2 tools and take longer to steal, hopefully making it too much effort and risk: idunno?:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clem319

We just had someone try to steal a front wheel. They left a single nut on it- a locklug. It jacked up the wheel and ruined all the studs. Also freaked my wife out when it wobbled and she realized she could have rolled with kids inside.

My thought is to go with 3 gorillas and two regular nuts per wheel. This will force 2 tools and take longer to steal, hopefully making it too much effort and risk: idunno?:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I hate thieves! Worthless to the world.. Glad the wheel didn't fall off.

2RedRigs

You gotta respect the good old days. Back in the day you get caught stealing a guys horse, he could string you up and leave ya out in the open for everyone to see.

Now days, you catch someone jackin with your shit, you have be sneaky in disposing of the body.:naw:

Top Bottom