New Toyo Open Country R/T

Hobolobo

The difference is that i was just pointing out this new tire for others to see and get info about, not seeking recommendations. There is also a similar thread for the nitto exo grappler.
If you have a review or would like to recommend the st maxx, we're all ears, but please keep it in its own thread to keep things organized.

Rccrwlr

My bad...just trying to offer info based on questions/comments the OP made...sorry I'm sold on the Cooper brand of tire.

I don't see this as any different than interjecting/suggesting someone go with an Evo product over another brand when someone asks for info...

You probably not get any flack if you started another thread about them instead of pointing it out twice in the same thread about a different tire.

--rccrwlr.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just put a set of 4 on this morning. 35x12.5R17. Replaced my second set of ProComp XTreme A/Ts (great all around tires, not so good in mud). You can find the tires for much less than $360, and with free shipping! I paid $320ish.

First impression is that they look smaller/thinner than my old ProComps, even though the manufacturer says they are within .1" of each other in diameter. Second impression is that they are VERY smooth and quiet on the road; I can barely hear them with the windows up (FYI my carpet and cubby cover are removed at the moment). Handling seemed a bit nervous at first, but this might be due to the installers putting in 40PSI (!!!). I took them down to 35PSI, and they are better behaved. I will try 30PSI and see how that feels. Speaking of feeling, I was expecting much more vibration and harshness from the aggressive tread and "E" rating; instead, they feel slightly more stiff and communicative than the stock AT tires.

I haven't tried them in the mud yet, but hope to later this week. I will report back.

I actually wanted the Exo Grappler due to the snow rating, but I could not find those in my size last week ... and I couldn't wait any longer.

2008 JKU, 3.5" lift, and a ton (figuratively and almost literally) of mods.

I'd love to get some feedback from you on their offroad performance when you get a chance please.

onbelay

I'd love to get some feedback from you on their offroad performance when you get a chance please.

Sorry for the delay. I took out the Jeep 3 times over the last week and was very impressed with the tire's performance. In places where my ProComp XTreme Terrain tires got stuck in the mud (aired down to 15PSI), the Toyo RTs had no issues (running 30PSI).

On my most recent run, I was with two other Jeeps. The lead Jeep had Duratracs, the middle Jeep was a 2014 Moab edition with stock tires, and then me. Jeep with Duratracs required several attempts to get up a still muddy hill but was finally successful. Moab edition Jeep slid off the track and into some deep grooves; her Jeep came to rest, tilted within a few degrees of rolling over into a deep pond of mud. I casually walked up the hill in 4W Lo. No tire spin, no drama. I do have F/R ARB lockers, but they were not engaged.

I don't have pictures of the actual mud/trail, but here are some others taken on the same day. Also a picture of the snorkel installed the day after, and an image of what the Jeep looked like when brand new (from the same angle) haha.

bridge copy.jpg

Two months after I bought it. :)

IMG_0263 - Copy - Copy.jpg

10620469_10150439057569986_7418108893089624250_o.jpg

Actually got somewhat high-centered on this one. The rocks have a deep groove in front of them, and we barely cleared the front bumper. Despite crawling over the rocks, we came down fairly hard on the skid plates; I wonder if the front tires just slipped from all the water and algae. Anyhow, the rear tires had enough traction for me to back out of this mess (yeah I used the lockers!). This was a good thing, as the other Jeeps couldn't make it up the stream to pull me out. :)

river.jpg

It's different out here in the Southern mud. I admit that a snorkel has some bling factor to it, but it's actually not a bad idea to run a snorkel on some of these dirt roads and during our heavy rainfall. So many stories of JKs hydrolocking while driving around town.

snorkel2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

chipper

Sorry for the delay. I took out the Jeep 3 times over the last week and was very impressed with the tire's performance. In places where my ProComp XTreme Terrain tires got stuck in the mud (aired down to 15PSI), the Toyo RTs had no issues (running 30PSI).

Thanks for the good review. I saw these tires for the first time today on a pick up at my work. They look a lot more aggressive than I thought they were gonna be.

LeighP

Thanks for the feedback. I've had good results from Toyo tyres over the years....I was hoping these R/Ts would prove to be a good choice.
Jeep looks great, by the way. :thumb:

BEAST33

I have 35inch RTs and I love them...I've seen others slip on obstacles with MTs and I have no problem going up and over the same obstacles...dirt and rocks...no problem. Have I sunk them in deep mud? No...but I don't like mud and have no intentions to go wheeling when it gets really sloppy. I haven't really put them through hell yet but I doubt that's something I will do on a regular basis. Pictures of my RTs in action :yup:

Big D

Too bad there aren't more sizes

I'm running 35" KM2s now and will be going to 37s in the spring. These caught my eye as a candidate because I live in Colorado and would like something good for rocks and dirt, but also snow and ice. Unfortunately, they come in 37x12.5x20, but not 17". Bummer.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I have 35inch RTs and I love them...I've seen others slip on obstacles with MTs and I have no problem going up and over the same obstacles...dirt and rocks...no problem. Have I sunk them in deep mud? No...but I don't like mud and have no intentions to go wheeling when it gets really sloppy. I haven't really put them through hell yet but I doubt that's something I will do on a regular basis. Pictures of my RTs in action :yup:

Awesome shots Beast!

hbkid22

Anyone have experience with these in the snow? I am running the BFG A/T and they are miserable in the snow.....Had a set on my truck before the jeep and sold them because I slid constantly...

Rccrwlr

Recent article by Fourwheeler Mag
Written by Fred Williams of Dirt Everyday. Pretty good review. Not the most in depth but decent.

Toyo Open Country R/T Tire Test - An R/T For Everybody
Fred Williams Technical Editor

An adventure truck is something that must be able to run down the highway, get you across town in traffic, take you down dirt roads, and deliver you to a new campground, a backwoods cabin, or a remote beachfront shack. It’s more capable than your average truck but not as extreme as your rock buggy. If you are building an adventure truck then these Toyo Open Country R/Ts are the tires you want. These Toyos are a Swiss Army knife tire, good at getting you through rough terrain and long road days. Not as extreme as Toyo’s M/T nor as tame as its A/T, but a perfect blend of both. Two treads combined to make a lovechild of sorts between that smart, nerdy, well-mannered Open Country A/T and the outrageous, rugged, handsome Open Country M/T, resulting in a well-rounded tire (excuse the pun).

The new Toyo Open Country R/T tire is available in sizes up to 37 inches for a 20-inch rim and 35 inches for a 17- or 18-inch rim. We opted for the 35s and had them mounted on factory Ram truck wheels at a Discount Tire/America’s Tire store in Paso Robles, California.
We bolted a set of 35x12.50R17 R/Ts onto our big white Ram 3500 and hit the road. We towed with them, we cruised with them, we explored with them, and we got complimented on them. People really seem to like the look of these tires, with their aggressive sidewall and large tread lugs, and we almost feel bad that people don’t realize how civilized these tires are. They are a perfect fit for a truck like ours, a truck that has to work all week just to play all weekend and that may see dirt in both activities.

Toyo’s goal with the R/T is a crossover tire. The company has done much better than most automakers who call their spruced-up mini-vans a “crossover” SUV. These tires ride great, have minimal noise, and perform well in moderate off road challenges.

The first thing you’ll notice about the R/T is the aggressive sidewall, but it really reveals itself with a coating of dust. The sidewall is made of a special compound for additional cut resistance and durability and is offered with a different design from side to side, giving you choices of appearance.

As you move from the sidewall to the tread you’ll notice a very square profile with wide shoulder groves, scalloped corner tread lugs, and recessed stone and mud ejectors at the base of the tread void. The design aids in on-road stability, off-road traction, and cleaning because it keeps the voids open with each tire

We wish our Cummins Ram 3500 was a fulltime camping, exploring, overlanding truck, but the fact is it lives half its life with a heavy red trailer behind it. And this means highway miles are more common than dirt. The R/T is aggressive enough to keep the Ram pulling in loose gravel or wet grass, but the tight center blocks give it a quieter ride than a full-blown mud tire has when running 8- to 10-hour days towing. It’s not silent, but it’s quiet enough to blend in with the diesel clatter and not drive you crazy on long trips to off road destinations. Toyo calls this Optimized Pattern Arrangement; we call it Quiet Tire Thingymahoozits.

We took the big white crew cab down to a local riverbed that was dryer than pocket lint and filled with deep gravely sand. We quickly realized we may end up walking home. This wash is softer than a mixture of marbles and baby powder. We were worried the Ram would dig in and strand us, but the Toyo’s just stayed on top. They kept clawing forward, didn’t bury themselves, and allowed us to wander and explore with ease.

We’re suffering major drought in our hometown these days, so mud, rain, and snow testing didn’t happen. We did get plenty of loose gravel, deep sandy washes, and hillclimbs. In all of those places a lack of traction can quickly stop a 1-ton truck with a heavy camper shell on it and a torque-spewing diesel under the hood, but the R/Ts didn’t disappoint.

The Open Country R/T tire is opening a whole new segment in the truck and off-road tire world. The tire will fulfill a niche that many buyers have been looking for with on-road comfort and off-road capability. We’re not saying the R/T will replace you good old-fashion mud tire for severe off-road performance, but if your vehicle is a crossover itself and lives both on and off the road, then you should consider these as your next set of adventure truck rubber.

Tire Specifications
Make/Model: Toyo Open Country R/T
Size Tested: 35x12.50R17
Type: Commercial Grade All Weather Tire
Load Range: E
Max. Load (lb): 3,195 @ 65 psi
Sidewall Construction: 3-ply polyester
Approved Rim Width (in): 8.5 to 11
Tread Depth (in): 0.57
Tread Width (in): 10.5
Section Width (in): 12.5
Diameter Overall (in): 34.8
Weight (lb): 75
Sizes Available (in): LT285/70R17, 35X12.50R17LT, LT285/65R18, 33X12.50R18LT, 35X12.50R18LT, 33X12.50R20LT, 35X12.50R20LT, 37X12.50R20LT

From: http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-...-rt-tire-test-an-for-everybody/#ixzz3Q25WOTch

Follow us: @fwmag on Twitter | fourwheelermag on Facebook

desertrunner

just got quoted $1795 for a set of 4 mounted balanced 37x12.5r17 toyo RTs from a discount tire in OKC

might pull the trigger on these over the nitto trail graps, how are they holding up for the people who have been running them so far??? wondering how they perform in the rocks aired down and how much tread life to expect for a DD

Last edited:

JohnnyD

I just swapped these into my rig at 35x12.5x17

World of difference from where I was with gy mtrk's .

In the snow they handle well but only had about 4" to get through, good grip and good starts.

Ride is smooooootttthhhh. Road noise is minimal, spring just got here and i will be wheeling them soon

New balance weights are as follows 1, 2.5, 2.5, 3 and 4.5

Wanna see something funny? Here's a pick of the gy mtrk's balance weight....after road forcing them TWICE in the same week! Never again...stacks on stacks lol

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427157582.854349.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just swapped these into my rig at 35x12.5x17

World of difference from where I was with gy mtrk's .

In the snow they handle well but only had about 4" to get through, good grip and good starts.

Ride is smooooootttthhhh. Road noise is minimal, spring just got here and i will be wheeling them soon

New balance weights are as follows 1, 2.5, 2.5, 3 and 4.5

Wanna see something funny? Here's a pick of the gy mtrk's balance weight....after road forcing them TWICE in the same week! Never again...stacks on stacks lol

View attachment 132864

Plus counter balanced, which solves nothing :grayno:

Top Bottom