Jeep JK/TJ Led lighting info

pvanweelden

I figured I would start this thread as a source of info for anyone adding led lights to replace factory bulbs to their JK or TJ.
I am going to add to the thread over the next few weeks, but if anyone has any info or corrections, please post up!

First a note on side markers- despite what you think, your factory side markers do not flash with the turn signals or hazards. All they are is a parking light.

TJ- adding led side markers (easy method) using 2 existing factory wires
Led light black wire goes to factory white wire.
Led white wire goes to factory black wire.
(this is assuming your led has a black positive wire, as most do, while the factory uses white for positive, most of the time)
Note- with key off, parking lights off, the side marker will do nothing. With parking lights on, it will be on and flash.

TJ- adding led side markers (moderate method) using 2 existing factory wires from the front turn signal harness, instead of factory side marker wires.
Locate and remove the plug from the front turn signal- the plug has 3 wires (white/brown or green, white/yellow and black) Thanks Jerry!
Tap into the Turn signal wire (white/green-drivers side or white/brown- passenger side) with the white wire from the Led side marker.
Tap into the Parking light (white/yellow) wire with the black wire from the Led side marker.
This adds the flashing of the side marker led with the key on, regardless of parking lights on or off- giving a daytime side flash indicator.

TJ- add JK front turn signal housings to the grill- use a 3 1/8" hole saw, locate the JK housings, but you use the TJ socket and bulb. the socket will twist into the JK housing.

If you want to get fancy (difficult method) pick up 4 diodes and 2 resistors from Radio Shack. Tap into all 3 front turn signal wires, and turn the 3 wires into 2 wires for the side marker led.
Turn signal wire is white/green-driver side, white/brown-passenger side
Parking light wire is white/yellow
Ground wire is black
Hook black wire from led to a diode and resistor and then to the white/yellow
Hook black wire from led also to another diode and then to the white/green or brown
Hook white from led to the black ground wire from the factory harness
ledsidemarker.jpg

Note the orientation of the diode- very important
dode2.gif
This method should have the side markers acting just like the front lights, regardless of key on or parking lights on.

TJ- Rear factory wiring colors
Tail- White/yellow tracer (some sources say Black/yellow tracer)
Stop/ Left Turn- green/red tracer
Stop/ Right Turn- Brown/red tracer
Reverse- violet/black tracer

*Note- you will need a 50 watt 6 ohm resistor that will go on the turn signal wire (hook one side of resistor to factory wire, other side to led wire)
2 resistors can be bought for $4 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-Resistor...+6ohm+resistor

Last edited:

pvanweelden

JK wiring

JK- Adding led side markers-
Black led wire goes to white factory wire
White led wire goes to black factory wire.

See one wire mod to add flashing of side marker http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15486-Blinker-Mod-for-2013
When doing this mod- the led black wire would go to the white wire from the side marker factory wiring.
The led white wire would go to the factory bottom (drivers side) white wire on the harness for front turn signal or top white (passenger side)

JK- Rear Tail light wiring-
Tail- white/purple tracer
Stop/ Left Turn- white/yellow tracer
Stop/ Right Turn- also white/yellow wire ?
Reverse- white/green tracer
Black is ground

*Note- you will need a 50 watt 6 ohm resistor that will go on the turn signal wire (hook one side of resistor to factory wire, other side to led wire)
2 resistors can be bought for $4 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Jtech-Resisto...08036330&sr=8-3&keywords=50watt+6ohm+resistor

Will add more later

Last edited:

pvanweelden

JK wiring continued

JK- adding led 3rd brake light/ license plate to spare tire location
Use the 2 wires from existing 3rd brake light plus you will need to run 1 wire either thru the tailgate or under right rear to the right rear taillight
Factory white/yellow tracer is brake light positive- ORO red wire
Factory black wire is ground- ORO black wire
New wire to taillight white/purple tracer is parking light- ORO green wire

Note- always follow wiring color instructions if any came with your led lights. Most I have seen, the black is positive. Use a 9 volt battery to test your led's. They should only turn on when hooked up properly positive to positive on battery, except when testing with the side marker led on TJ's or JK's- it is possible to have the led reversed and some functions will work, but not as desired.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
thanks for this Paul! this is some good info for people to know if they are adding evo skins for example and need to wire up the led reverse light.

pvanweelden

Thanks Jerry and Steve- I just figured it would be good info to have in one thread :thumb:

as mentioned above, if anyone has any info to add, please do!

pvanweelden

Maxxima M85416R led taillight with reverse. New design is actually a flat mount (older model required a 4" hole) you just need a 1" hole in the middle for the wires to go through.
If you didn't get the pigtail wire ends, just cut the pl-3 ends off the wires.
There are 2 pigtails- the top is reverse and the bottom is stop/tail light. The white wires on both need to be tied together to the ground.
Top pigtail-
White- ground
Red- reverse

Bottom pigtail-
White- ground
Red- stop/turn
Black- tail light

Do not attach the 2 red wires together. They are separate circuits- top red is reverse, bottom red is stop/turn.
12 leds white/12 leds red.
$76 for 2 from randpcarriages.com http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Maxxima...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5667690235
1408389993006.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

skijeeper

Thanks Paul

ok after trying to figure out why the LED marker lights I bought wouldn't work, your post saved the day. I didn't realize the LED's were wired backwards from the stock marker lights. I know have them as marker lights and as blinkers :)

Thanks again
Chris

O_M_Jeep

Maxxima M85416R led taillight with reverse. New design is actually a flat mount (older model required a 4" hole) you just need a 1" hole in the middle for the wires to go through.
If you didn't get the pigtail wire ends, just cut the pl-3 ends off the wires.
There are 2 pigtails- the top is reverse and the bottom is stop/tail light. The white wires on both need to be tied together to the ground.
Top pigtail-
White- ground
Red- reverse

Bottom pigtail-
White- ground
Red- stop/turn
Black- tail light

Do not attach the 2 red wires together. They are separate circuits- top red is reverse, bottom red is stop/turn.
12 leds white/12 leds red.
$76 for 2 from randpcarriages.com http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Maxxima...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5667690235
View attachment 96161

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You sir, are a time and frustration saver, I was actually surprised to not find any wiring information in the packaging, good thing the price was awesome.

Irish Pirate

Need some serious help. I am installing the Maxxima lights pictured above.

I have them wired exactly as described above. I checked this multiple times. I even looked at other threads to verify both led and jeep wire colors.

When I use the tail lite one side is brighter. When I use the brake/turn signal the opposite side is brighter.

Someone suggested wired were backwards. I triple checked again and that are wired correctly. But just out of curiosity I switched the Led wires on the right side. (Black is on the turn and red is on the tail).

Issue fixed. The lights are the same brightness... Now, I have the issue of fast turn signals. I have the 50w 6ohm resistor mentioned above.

Again (indecently of each other) I turned on the turn signal and disconnected/reconnected the wires. Just to be sure I am on the turn signal wire.

Brown/red on right, green/red on the left. Just like mentioned above. Just as the factory diagram shows.

Resistors are connected and I still have fast turn signals.

What gives? Any thoughts

Irish Pirate

Think I may have just figured it out. I connected one side to the led, the other to ground (rather than inline). This seems to work great

geberhard

Douchebag
Any of you guys have pics of the Maxxima's installed with a PSC corner? I got the nw Maxximas but they seem bigger, and will not match the curvature of the corners ugh!

JAGS

Hooked
Any of you guys have pics of the Maxxima's installed with a PSC corner? I got the nw Maxximas but they seem bigger, and will not match the curvature of the corners ugh!

I believe folks with the PSC corners are doing the oblong/oval version of the light.

geberhard

Douchebag
Jason you rock!!! LOL I was just looking at your thread and found some great pics you posted on this page:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15134-The-Evolution-of-ENVY-Build/page21

attachment.php

I really like how clean they look on Envy, I am debating recessing them on the PSC corners to make them fit.

Thanks

Gui

KYRubi

I appreciate the help this thread contains. It has almost gotten me where I need to be. I just installed a set of Max-Bilt LED's with the resistors and everything works except one fairly big problem. The right turn signal causes the left reverse light to flash in addition to the right light flashing correctly.

Any ideas?

Never mind. I figured it out. I'll post the wiring colors for the Max-Bilts to be installed in a 2011 JK once I have time to wire in the 3rd brake light. Ran out of light tonight.

Last edited:

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
These are not directions. Requesting for help on the install.

I will be trying this install tonight. Just want to confirm my connections will be correct with the resistors.

I am using this resistor and maxxima led lights
IMG_6973.JPG
IMG_6975.JPG

- Plug the bottom (3 wire) pigtail of LED tail light Into the resistor and cut the adaptor off the resistor end and use wires in same orientation as pvanweelden states in post #7 above.
- cut the top pigtail off the the LED tail light.
- connect both white wires from LED tail light and resistor to OEM black wire.
- connect red wire from top pigtail of LED light to white/green of OEM wire.
- connect red wire from resistor to white/yellow OEM wire.
- connect black wire from resistor to white/purple OEM wire.

Can someone confirm this will work and the resistor will still be used properly?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom