Please don't laugh

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I haven't been wheeling for very long. I also have read up and put into practice all that I learned out on the trail. Last Sunday, My wife and I decided to go to the Paharump Valley Winery (a trip that normally takes 40 minutes from Las Vegas on the highway)
We decided to go offroad. We loaded up all our safety gear, plenty of water and snacks, let the kids know the route we were taking,and we were off. We went to Lovell canyon rd, Trout canyon rd, took a trail that was unmarked that headed out to Carpenter Canyon rd..
On Google Earth, the road looked fairly flat, little did I know the road was much different than what I saw on the computer. I counted about 6 or 7 times where there was a steep dip into and out of washes. I had a smile from ear to ear as I finally got a chance to see the true capability of my 2013 JKUR with a 2.5" Teraflex coil spring lift.
I put the Jeep in 4 low and in first gear and locked the back axle. I felt a bit nervous letting the Jeep do all the work, but to my surprise our trusty Jeep worked as advertised. Climbing out of the wash again the nerves set in as the nose seemed to point straight at the sky. Again I was pleasantly surprised at the climbing ability and the stability of my Jeep. 3 hours later at the end of the trail, I was all smiles because of the capability that I have in this vehicle.
I know it's never wise to go out alone, that's why next time I take that route I will have another jeep with me. I'm happy to have experienced this. The down side....I don't have any pictures. that's why I have to go again. 😬

Sounds like a great time taking your jeep out in its natural habitat!

GR8WHITE

Aren't you the guy who said a truss is better than a pr44?

Yes and no. In my opinion if your going to buy a band new axle ($4,000) and your getting the same size ring gear and pinion and axle shafts its not worth it for a stronger housing. If your going to baja the $&@t out of you jeep ok fine go spend 4,000 to get only a stronger housing. And plus if your going to baja that hard your going to need a full float rear axle so u don't bend you axle shaft at the flange every time you bottom out on a set of whoops. I would spend the extra and get a 60 and never mess with it again. But wtf do i know?

olram30

Yes and no. In my opinion if your going to buy a band new axle ($4,000) and your getting the same size ring gear and pinion and axle shafts its not worth it for a stronger housing. If your going to baja the $&@t out of you jeep ok fine go spend 4,000 to get only a stronger housing. And plus if your going to baja that hard your going to need a full float rear axle so u don't bend you axle shaft at the flange every time you bottom out on a set of whoops. I would spend the extra and get a 60 and never mess with it again. But wtf do i know?

Cool story bro.

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Welp...

1) It's like $2,100 for the PR44 housing swap with a Rubicon axle Internals. Not sure where $4k came from. You could opt to build a custom PR44 with an ARB, RCV's, Prosteers, etc which raises cost but also gets you some stronger components compared to OEM.
2) Stronger housing for baja? Nah man, housings and C's bend on the simplest of rocks and easiest whoops with the right scenario. Stronger housing is always a good thing in a multitude of scenarios.
3) Front PR60's are in the 8-11+k range depending on options.
4) Front PR44's are lighter than F PR60's
5) Not everyone needs a F PR60
6) I do agree, buy a 60 if your wallet can afford it and have less to worry about, but not everyone appears to be as rich as you.

GR8WHITE

Welp...

1) It's like $2,100 for the PR44 housing swap with a Rubicon axle Internals. Not sure where $4k came from. You could opt to build a custom PR44 with an ARB, RCV's, Prosteers, etc which raises cost but also gets you some stronger components compared to OEM.
2) Stronger housing for baja? Nah man, housings and C's bend on the simplest of rocks and easiest whoops with the right scenario. Stronger housing is always a good thing in a multitude of scenarios.
3) Front PR60's are in the 8-11+k range depending on options.
4) Front PR44's are lighter than F PR60's
5) Not everyone needs a F PR60
6) I do agree, buy a 60 if your wallet can afford it and have less to worry about, but not everyone appears to be as rich as you.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/dynatrac-prorock-44-unlimited-package-prorock44unl-pkg

The guy (in a whole other thread) was talking about gearing and and the hole 9 yards and if u build ^^ like that its in the 4,000 range. Can we just hug it out?

olram30

stweasel

I haven't been wheeling for very long. I also have read up and put into practice all that I learned out on the trail. Last Sunday, My wife and I decided to go to the Paharump Valley Winery (a trip that normally takes 40 minutes from Las Vegas on the highway)
We decided to go offroad. We loaded up all our safety gear, plenty of water and snacks, let the kids know the route we were taking,and we were off. We went to Lovell canyon rd, Trout canyon rd, took a trail that was unmarked that headed out to Carpenter Canyon rd..
On Google Earth, the road looked fairly flat, little did I know the road was much different than what I saw on the computer. I counted about 6 or 7 times where there was a steep dip into and out of washes. I had a smile from ear to ear as I finally got a chance to see the true capability of my 2013 JKUR with a 2.5" Teraflex coil spring lift.
I put the Jeep in 4 low and in first gear and locked the back axle. I felt a bit nervous letting the Jeep do all the work, but to my surprise our trusty Jeep worked as advertised. Climbing out of the wash again the nerves set in as the nose seemed to point straight at the sky. Again I was pleasantly surprised at the climbing ability and the stability of my Jeep. 3 hours later at the end of the trail, I was all smiles because of the capability that I have in this vehicle.
I know it's never wise to go out alone, that's why next time I take that route I will have another jeep with me. I'm happy to have experienced this. The down side....I don't have any pictures. that's why I have to go again. 

I haven't been on the Pahrump side of the Spring Mt's since last years fire. How does it look up there?

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

Can you by chance start a "GR8WHITE advice thread"? So we can consolidate all this vast knowledge into one spot? I'm sure the thread would be a hit.. just an idea..

Lets let this man have his thread back. Ok? Sorry hangemhigh1

Last edited:

Hangemhigh1

You can still see a little evidence of the fire. The greenery is back quite a bit though. There has been a fair amount of rain since the fire.

Hangemhigh1

Great news!!
I spoke with a few friends and they want to go on this run. Now we have a small group, and it have my camera with plenty of picture and video capacity. This Labor Day with all the safety boxes checked, we will have some fun.

Last edited:

KingCopperhead

What's to laugh about? You took more than enough precautions for your safety. That being said: glad you had a blast! I recently took my jk on her off the pavement maiden voyage and it's amazing and satisfying to see that the mods you've done and the engineering that went into your jeep blend into an incredibly potent off road machine. The biggest problem you'll have now is waiting to do it again :p

hogtyed

Nothing to laugh about. That is a great feeling, I did the same thing in the NC mountains this month. I took some trails that I had never been on by myself. I had all the emotions of excitement, scared, happy, ect. The trails would change with every bend that I went around. Adding to the excitement of what is around the next bend. Just as you; I would love to do it with fellow Jeepers. That is why it is our WAYALIFE. :driving:

Hangemhigh1

What a great day on the trail Sunday, great friends, great weather, GREAT TIMES!!! 8 hours of wheeling Potato Ridge, Lovell Canyon, Trout Canyon, The fence line trail between Trout Canyon and Carpenter Canyon Rd. and last but not least, a drive into Carpenter Canyon with a little hiking mixed in. On the way back, we lit up the trail at night with our L.E.D.s and then tired but still smiling from ear to ear, we parted and left for home.[ATTACH ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409687634.192657.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409687687.314699.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409687788.784903.jpg ]98405[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409687590.942923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409687590.942923.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Glad you had a great time!!!!
I've been doing this in the Vegas area all my life.

Just a suggestion, if you want a nice little trail to go on you could try Wheeler's pass. Its right by where you offroad and its one of the two historic trails in the spring mountain range. It has some beautiful views at the top.

The other is potato ridge/ rocky gap but as of right now because of the rains, I wouldn't do that in a stock jeep. The roads are part of the old Spanish trail if my knowledge doesn't betray me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jimmypaget

That's a fun little run and sounds like you all had a great time and that's all that matters. There are quite a few of us on here from the Vegas area, look us up when you go out on the next one, always folks here locally to go out on a run with!

X2! What Scott said!

Top Bottom