Need help making up my mind

babalusobral

Hey gents, love my jeep and its been good to me so far but now I'm at a crossroads. My Jeep is a 2010 sahara unlimited and its got about 90000k on it now. It's recently started burning oil. It burns about a quart every 1500km which i know chrysler says its normal but I still think its bullsh!t. A lot of the chrome on my jeep is peeling off and the jeep is rusting already due to all the salt they put on the Ontario roads.

Now i'm thinking of selling it and getting another vehicle. I'm torn between just getting a new wrangler or getting a 4 door truck (F150/Sierra/Ram). Reason I might go with the truck is my family is growing and I need more room for the kids in the back and our stuff. But I also could get a small trailer and just tow it behind the jeep. I'm a little concerned about the current 3.8l engine burning oil and potentially giving out on me.

What do you guys think? Should I sell the jeep and buy a new one with a trailer, buy a truck or just keep my old jeep and get a trailer for it? I also owe about 16000$ on my jeep due to me signing a dumb 7 year loan plan thinking i was going to pay it off sooner :doh:. But then life happened and my money became scarce lol. I'm much better off now and would go with a 4 year financing option this time around.

Sorry for the long winded post but don't know who else to ask about this.

Thanks guys.

cwmt3

I'm sorta in a similar situation, as I live in Ontario, and I have a fiancé who wants kids soon. Not a big deal, but I have a 2 door 2013, with $18k left.
So I'm thinking keep the 2 door to work on, and have the fiancé drive a man van or possibly a jku.
It's unfortunate that you have a fairly large payment left, with any new trade at a dealer you would definitely have extra to pay on top of your new vehicle payments.
Imo perhaps keeping the jeep until at least $8k left on payments. Then for sure you will have an easier time trading in for what your wife wants. Then pick up an old TJ or JK to get your jeep fix?
That's all I got good luck fellow ontarian.

Sent from my C6616 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I suggest getting a new JKU. Prefect for carrying around your family and gear. Plus, add a roof rack and you can carry pretty much anything you need to live in the wilderness for weeks. A used truck has the potential for its own slew of problems. Then there is the cost of a trailer to carry your jeep and registering it. I imagine insurance would probably go up. Plus this will give you an opportunity to get out od that long ass loan. Hope thia helps.

2014 JKUR

gleno99

Hey gents, love my jeep and its been good to me so far but now I'm at a crossroads. My Jeep is a 2010 sahara unlimited and its got about 90000k on it now. It's recently started burning oil. It burns about a quart every 1500km which i know chrysler says its normal but I still think its bullsh!t. A lot of the chrome on my jeep is peeling off and the jeep is rusting already due to all the salt they put on the Ontario roads.

Now i'm thinking of selling it and getting another vehicle. I'm torn between just getting a new wrangler or getting a 4 door truck (F150/Sierra/Ram). Reason I might go with the truck is my family is growing and I need more room for the kids in the back and our stuff. But I also could get a small trailer and just tow it behind the jeep. I'm a little concerned about the current 3.8l engine burning oil and potentially giving out on me.

What do you guys think? Should I sell the jeep and buy a new one with a trailer, buy a truck or just keep my old jeep and get a trailer for it? I also owe about 16000$ on my jeep due to me signing a dumb 7 year loan plan thinking i was going to pay it off sooner :doh:. But then life happened and my money became scarce lol. I'm much better off now and would go with a 4 year financing option this time around.

Sorry for the long winded post but don't know who else to ask about this.

Thanks guys.

I got rid of a truck to get a jkur. I love it. My kids love it. I take trips with my wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. The hitch platform is great for a little of extra room. Or a small trailer is great also.

sethccole

Take it from a guy who just traded in his nearly paid off truck ($600 left) on a new JKR. Trucks are good and will work as hard as you need them to. However, it is a truck, not a family car. The JKU(R) was made to be the family Wrangler.

I got my Jeep because of its reliability, not that my truck didn't have it, but I needed something where I could go anywhere, and get back home without a problem. The Jeeps 4x4 system is far superior to any truck and with all the aftermarket stuff you can do to your jeep, there is no reason it cant be exactly what you need from it.

Then there is the price tag. My JKR I drove off the lot at 30K, it has 4x4, nav, lockers, etc. My truck was the same price, and had 2x4, the small engine, and less space inside for passengers.

If you get rid of your jeep, you'll regret it. As for space carrying things, like it was stated above, you have roof racks that can carry everything you need, or you can pick up a trailer, used military go from ~$500-~$1200 and are super easy to make your own as well.

A store bought beer is good, one that you can brew yourself, to your likings, is even better. Plus you get to say, "Thats MY beer, there are many like it, but this one is mine." :beer:

Grubbicon

If its really just the factor your burning oil. I say thats a good reason for a v8 with would still be cheaper then a new truck

gleno99

Take it from a guy who just traded in his nearly paid off truck ($600 left) on a new JKR. Trucks are good and will work as hard as you need them to. However, it is a truck, not a family car. The JKU(R) was made to be the family Wrangler.

I got my Jeep because of its reliability, not that my truck didn't have it, but I needed something where I could go anywhere, and get back home without a problem. The Jeeps 4x4 system is far superior to any truck and with all the aftermarket stuff you can do to your jeep, there is no reason it cant be exactly what you need from it.

Then there is the price tag. My JKR I drove off the lot at 30K, it has 4x4, nav, lockers, etc. My truck was the same price, and had 2x4, the small engine, and less space inside for passengers.

If you get rid of your jeep, you'll regret it. As for space carrying things, like it was stated above, you have roof racks that can carry everything you need, or you can pick up a trailer, used military go from ~$500-~$1200 and are super easy to make your own as well.

A store bought beer is good, one that you can brew yourself, to your likings, is even better. Plus you get to say, "Thats MY beer, there are many like it, but this one is mine." :beer:

My truck was paid off for 2 years. No regrets!

babalusobral

Thanks for all the support! I love my jeep and it would break my heart to get rid of it. I'll take the advice given and maybe look at some kind of a roof rack or trailer to suit the growing family. As for the motor, I would love to do an engine swap when the money is right. Does anybody know of any shops in the Greater Toronto Area that would do good work? I'd love to do this myself but with my job and family life I doubt the misses would let me work on my jeep any more than I am now :D.

Top Bottom