Overlanding Gear

liljohn850

After our camping trip this weekend, I have realized the need to make more room in the jeep. We took the wife's '13 pathfinder and folded a seat down and jesus, that thing is huge! a baja rack of sorts on the hard top is going to happen and some sort of shelf in the back. I love the ACE rack, but think I could build/jerry rig something similar, just as sturdy and cheaper.

I'm loving this thread. Can't wait to move to the PNW and camp in the woods vice on the beach here in Hawaii.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's BFP849's rack again for reference on height to an ARB fridge:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406211105_398797.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406211120_420400.jpg

This slide out burner setup is pretty cool:
jeep_16.jpg

Does anyone know who makes this slide out drawer on the floor? I think the shelf above is custom, but not sure. I really like the slide-out though!
semashoot13_-45.jpg

semashoot13_-47.jpg

semashoot13_-49.jpg

semashoot13_-50.jpg

semashoot13_-52.jpg

Last edited:

BDP849

Here's pvanweelden's rack again for reference on height to an ARB fridge:

View attachment 104263

View attachment 104264

This slide out burner setup is pretty cool:
View attachment 104265

Does anyone know who makes this slide out drawer on the floor? I think the shelf above is custom, but not sure. I really like the slide-out though!
View attachment 104266

View attachment 104267

View attachment 104268

View attachment 104269

View attachment 104270

That's my rack, not pvanweelden's. 😀

Briguy114

There are so many other options that are better than the hennessey hammocks. Most of them don't come with tarps but then again the hennessey stock tarps are so small they wouldn't really keep you dry in wet weather anyway.

Just to list a few better options: Dream Hammock, Hammeck, Warbonnet Outdoors, Wilderness Logics, Clark Jungle Hammocks, and many more (in no particular order)

MTG

Caught the Bug
There are so many other options that are better than the hennessey hammocks. Most of them don't come with tarps but then again the hennessey stock tarps are so small they wouldn't really keep you dry in wet weather anyway.

Just to list a few better options: Dream Hammock, Hammeck, Warbonnet Outdoors, Wilderness Logics, Clark Jungle Hammocks, and many more (in no particular order)

Thanks. Which do you prefer and why? I was most interested in the built in bug screen on the Hennessy. I found a website dedicated to hammocks but haven't had time to spend time over there.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That's my rack, not pvanweelden's. 😀

Just fixed it! Sorry about that. I had saved that pic awhile ago because I really liked the idea and got it confused with Paul's custom rack.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Briguy114

Thanks. Which do you prefer and why? I was most interested in the built in bug screen on the Hennessy. I found a website dedicated to hammocks but haven't had time to spend time over there.

The only one of the vendors that I mentioned that will not do custom work is Clark Jungle Hammocks. The rest are "cottage" vendors and will do custom work. There are so many options of different fabrics in different weights, integrated bug netting, integrated top covers, removable netting, etc. etc. Hennessey hammocks tend to be shorter than the cottage vendors hammocks. The extra length provides a more comfortable and flat lay. Definitely take some time to research on that other website. There's a ton of information out there on these different vendors and the options available

MTG

Caught the Bug
The only one of the vendors that I mentioned that will not do custom work is Clark Jungle Hammocks. The rest are "cottage" vendors and will do custom work. There are so many options of different fabrics in different weights, integrated bug netting, integrated top covers, removable netting, etc. etc. Hennessey hammocks tend to be shorter than the cottage vendors hammocks. The extra length provides a more comfortable and flat lay. Definitely take some time to research on that other website. There's a ton of information out there on these different vendors and the options available

Thanks for posting this up. I have all winter to research, though I'm tempted to get one and test it out in the house soon. :yup:

biggy

Thanks for posting this up. I have all winter to research, though I'm tempted to get one and test it out in the house soon. :yup:
Check out Dream Hammocks. They will make the hammock to your specifications and the quality of workmanship is top notch. As mentioned definitely check out the hammock forums and educate yourself. With a proper setup you will find you won't want to be a ground dweller anymore. [emoji2]

hbkid22

If you are willing to spend the money I would 100% get a Warbonnet Blackbird and add the Mamajamba tarp. I dont have a warbonnet but wish I would have purchased one over the Hennessy but then again I actually just use a grand trunk hammock with the Mamajamba tarp and doors.....And if you plan on doing any cold weather camping get an underguilt.

try the below site as well for some info on hammocks/gear/quilts...

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/# (click on the co-op tab)

hammock.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
So I just ordered one Helinox chair to try it out.

I was contemplating the REI equivalent but this video showed me there were enough differences to at least try it out. Plus it was only an $18 difference on Amazon.

Starting to get excited about getting geared up for Spring/Summer adventures. :rock:

Top Bottom