Bent front lca mount, banged up trans crossmember, repair replace or leave it be?

KingCopperhead

Heya everyone! Just got back from my first trip on rocks. What a BLAST! Anyway now that the fun is over I just did a post ride inspection and I didn't come out unscathed. (knew this going in so I'm not too upset)

Here is my front passenger side lca mount. The welds aren't affected but you can see that the outer side mount is peeled back really bad. 1408994476593.jpg

Should I attempt to bend it back? Replace it? I want lca skids before my next trip so I know it will have to be addressed.

As for my Trans crossmember, it's really just beat up. Didn't take a pic but it's nothing you guys haven't seen. Is it worth buying a stronger one before my next trip? Or just keep beating on this one?

Otherwise I think I'm alright underneath. The factory skids did their job well.

Thanks for any advice.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Lca skids and I think overlander has s pretty mangled up cross member. He might chime in. But either a after market our a skid if it still has life left.

KingCopperhead

Lca skids and I think overlander has s pretty mangled up cross member. He might chime in. But either a after market our a skid if it still has life left.

Definitely making those lca skids a reality. Can anyone recommend a good front lca skid? I know evo makes one for the rear but didn't see a front one. If I can bend back my factory mounts I will, otherwise I'll look for replacements when I do my skid.

My trans crossmember is really beat up at the front. None of the bolts are ground off but at some point I think I'm going to replace it. Kind of wish I'd put a skid on it but oh well. Can't cry over spilled milk.

noroad

Definitely making those lca skids a reality. Can anyone recommend a good front lca skid? I know evo makes one for the rear but didn't see a front one. If I can bend back my factory mounts I will, otherwise I'll look for replacements when I do my skid.

My trans crossmember is really beat up at the front. None of the bolts are ground off but at some point I think I'm going to replace it. Kind of wish I'd put a skid on it but oh well. Can't cry over spilled milk.

I have a new crossmember sitting in the basement for when you get a skid you can throw that in as well if you want!

KingCopperhead

I have a new crossmember sitting in the basement for when you get a skid you can throw that in as well if you want!

Nice! Did you go with an aftermarket cross member? How much would you want for the stocker? I was considering going with a PS one, but if I can save a few bucks on the cross member replacement that frees up a few bucks for a protek system. :)

KingCopperhead

Ehm. yours is worse than mine. A lot worse.

Mine is just bashed in at the front, the middle sections aren't too bad.

I *think* with a hammer and some determination I could likely get some skids to fit. If not I can rock an aftermarket cross member, if you've got dibs I'm not going to intrude on that.

Oh, found the evo front LCA skids. I'm a complete ASS for not ordering these when I got my c gussets.

Also, anyone use the rock star setup for the rear LCA's? Those look nice, gain some clearance and some added protection.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ehm. yours is worse than mine. A lot worse.

Mine is just bashed in at the front, the middle sections aren't too bad.

I *think* with a hammer and some determination I could likely get some skids to fit. If not I can rock an aftermarket cross member, if you've got dibs I'm not going to intrude on that.

Oh, found the evo front LCA skids. I'm a complete ASS for not ordering these when I got my c gussets.

Also, anyone use the rock star setup for the rear LCA's? Those look nice, gain some clearance and some added protection.

I don't have dibs. I gave up hope after a couple weeks of no response. Lol

I run rock star skids. They work well.

KingCopperhead

I don't have dibs. I gave up hope after a couple weeks of no response. Lol

I run rock star skids. They work well.

Good stuff. I've got the protek system, the front lca skids, and the rock stars in my Northridge shopping cart. I keep hovering over the check out button but I'm trying to not get murdered today by the woman.

Next wheeling trip won't be for a month or so, but I want it all NOW

noroad

Nice! Did you go with an aftermarket cross member? How much would you want for the stocker? I was considering going with a PS one, but if I can save a few bucks on the cross member replacement that frees up a few bucks for a protek system. :)

If he doesnt want its all yours for the price of a six pack!

TrailBear

Good stuff. I've got the protek system, the front lca skids, and the rock stars in my Northridge shopping cart. I keep hovering over the check out button but I'm trying to not get murdered today by the woman.

Next wheeling trip won't be for a month or so, but I want it all NOW

Order the lca skids and rock stars now, tell her it has to be done other wise it could get worse very soon, then the skids a few weeks out from your trip, to prevent more damage :)

KingCopperhead

Order the lca skids and rock stars now, tell her it has to be done other wise it could get worse very soon, then the skids a few weeks out from your trip, to prevent more damage :)

LoL that's exactly what I did. I skipped the rock stars and just got the evo rear lca skids. I didn't want to really mess with the suspension and I read that the teraflex rear tracbar mount could interfere with the Rockstar setup. Also ordered some Clayton front lca mounts with built in skids. Along with the bombshell covers I ordered I'm making some progress. Probably will do the protek setup in a few weeks.

Noroad lmk about that crossmember. Maybe we can just do an exchange of beer and parts next time we're at Rausch. We can work something out I'm sure :) thanks again.

KingCopperhead

I bought some clayton HD lca mounts with skids. I don't like the idea of bending my stock mounts back since they're peeled so badly. Any advice on mounting these? I have a friend who is a welder by trade and he will do the work. Anything I need to be aware of? I'm assuming we can carefully measure where the old brackets were, grind em off and weld the new ones in? I have aftermarket control arms but they are fixed length. Providing we are accurate with out measurements and do one side at a time do you think we will run into any issues?

Thanks for any advice.

Top Bottom