Hard Top/Panels

AlexwBlkJK

I bought my JKU used and the freedom top removable panels have taken a little abuse and dont look all that great.. I know you dont look at them but I notice climbing in and out of the rig....
Has anyone had luck painting them? with what? Mine is stock black... Should I just bite the bullet and paint them anyway... I think it would look better to paint the whole top rather than try to just get the scratches...

jeeeep

Hooked
they paint well- just prep properly

I helped my buddy prep his hard top - he's a painter so this may be overkill but his paint job looks fantastic

Wipe clean - we used alcohol water mix

Scuff the entire surface - just a scuff to remove the shine - not too aggressive it's fiberglass

wipe again with the alcohol water mix

wipe with cheese cloth to remove and scuffing dust

spray with primer, 2 light coats, i forgot what brand fiberglass primer, i think it was Rustoleum self-etching

spray primary color - 2 coats, 1st coat light, 2nd coat a little heavier

he used a flat clear coat for the finish it looks great...

bsimon187

I had the same issue. Ended up line-x ing the entire hard top inside and out. Now I don't have to worry about any scratches or anything.

Jiblet

they paint well- just prep properly

I helped my buddy prep his hard top - he's a painter so this may be overkill but his paint job looks fantastic

Wipe clean - we used alcohol water mix

Scuff the entire surface - just a scuff to remove the shine - not too aggressive it's fiberglass

wipe again with the alcohol water mix

wipe with cheese cloth to remove and scuffing dust

spray with primer, 2 light coats, i forgot what brand fiberglass primer, i think it was Rustoleum self-etching

spray primary color - 2 coats, 1st coat light, 2nd coat a little heavier

he used a flat clear coat for the finish it looks great...

Jeeeep has the right idea.

Probably not a huge difference but the hardtop material is SMC (Sheet Molding Compound), which isn't exactly old-school fiberglass, so you might look for paint or repair products made specifically for SMC.

AlexwBlkJK

Well I bit the bullet.. took the panels off yesterday sanded them where they needed to be sanded, wiped down with den. alch and painted with rustoleum truck bed liner...:clap2::clap2::clap2: I am talking about a 100% improvement...:yup::yup:
makes me want to take the rest of the hard top off and paint it too... :eek::D

While I had the bed liner spray out I hit the entry sills since they where pretty roughed up... AAAHHH.. the mod addiction is getting in me more and more every weekend...LOL:thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom