KING Shocks long-term corrosion issues?

MechanixRage

Hello all, I am about to start a new build since I got rid of my 2012 JK this month and acquired a new 2014 JKUR and I am thinking of going a completely different direction than before but I have some questions first, since I am thinking of doing a step by step EVO build, and I live in Canada, in lower BC, they put salt and chemicals on the roads in the winter like most places so my question is how does the KING shock bodies hold up to that kind of on-road abuse, my bilstein 5100s looked horrible a year later, but my RK RRD shocks that were aluminum anodized looked to be holding up mint, any info from people running KINGS in this kind of weather would be great, pics would be even better, thank you.

TheDuff

I can't tell you how the normal shock body holds up, but king offers a anodizing service:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Munday

I'm going to say that you are going to see similar or at least some corrosion . I have recently ordered EVO DTD kit and high clearance long area and live in Alberta . I'm not looking forward to seeing this gear get weathered but the fact is that the gear is awesome .... I have no direct experience with the kings in our weather but was informed when I ordered it from a local shop that it's unfortunate that it happens . I know there are a few that run the gear up here or in similar conditions and I'm sure they will chime in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MechanixRage

I did talk with King Shocks today and I guess you can have the shock body custom powder coated clear or coloured before the shocks are assembled for an additional price, it seemed like it might be worth it in the long run.

You would do better to have them anodized instead of powder coated. I have worked on US Navy helicopters that hover over salt water and the parts that are anodized do not corrode. Powder coating is a porous paint that will allow for moisture to wick in. Anodizing is a chemical process that completely seals the metal.

Just my thoughts,
Will

MechanixRage

True where I live in BC (Port Moody) I don't see a lot of snow or ice but all around me they get it and the chemical they use on the road is brutal, my polished warn fairleed was corroded in 6 months and I even clear coated it before I installed it, just trying to be preventive.

TrailBear

True where I live in BC (Port Moody) I don't see a lot of snow or ice but all around me they get it and the chemical they use on the road is brutal, my polished warn fairleed was corroded in 6 months and I even clear coated it before I installed it, just trying to be preventive.

It's the liquid calcium they use here, it's nasty shit, they also use it on some of the dirt roads to keep dust down, makes the dirt stick to the trucks and goes hard like cement. Your best bet may be to clear coat any exposed parts, then maybe WD-40 from time to time to keep stuff from sticking.

mikefishes

My king shocks are so rusty that they are unrecognizable after just one hard winter. I spoke with King and they recommended I pull them and have them scoured and cleared. I was really hoping for a better resolution from them. The representative on the phone stated that many of the manufacturers have seen a lot of excessive corrosion in the past few years.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
In the late 80's when chrome was king, we used to put a thin layer of Vaseline on wheels, hood caps, chrome plated shocks, etc. Dirt and grime sticks to it so you have to clean and repeat, but it seemed to help prevent rust.

Anybody try Fluid film ?
Yea stuff attracts dirt, but prevents rust.
This will be the first winter with Fluid film on my Rancho 9000's.
I've been using it on all my suspension/under body/truss/gussets/etc/etc. 0 rust. Good stuff.

Anybody try Fluid film ?
Yea stuff attracts dirt, but prevents rust.
This will be the first winter with Fluid film on my Rancho 9000's.
I've been using it on all my suspension/under body/truss/gussets/etc/etc. 0 rust. Good stuff.

Fluid Film is great stuff. I have used it on Navy helicopters but we wash them every 14 days on the beach and every 7 days at sea. I would recommend washing it off and reapplying monthly.

MechanixRage

My king shocks are so rusty that they are unrecognizable after just one hard winter. I spoke with King and they recommended I pull them and have them scoured and cleared. I was really hoping for a better resolution from them. The representative on the phone stated that many of the manufacturers have seen a lot of excessive corrosion in the past few years.

I would appreciate seeing some pictures of your shocks current state if you have the time to snap a few.

mikefishes

I would appreciate seeing some pictures of your shocks current state if you have the time to snap a few.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409610617.839247.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409610631.470321.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409610643.433799.jpg

Keep in mind this is after I pulled them once, scoured them, and then waxed them really good. I plan on following up with king and northridge once again, as I cannot believe this is normal.

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm glad I live in the desert of So-Cal. No real corrosion here just blazing heat in the summer..haha. That sucks to see top quality components look that way. Has the performance been affected (internals) by the road chemicals or is it all cosmetic?

mikefishes

Could you not just paint them?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Even a bunch of clear would probably help

The person I spoke with at King recommended that I scour them and either paint or clear them. His recommendation was VHT silver paint. I did that and they looked great, though the silver was definitely different looking than the stainless, but the paint really didn't adhere very well and was flaking off by the next weekend. I don't know if I used the wrong paint or if I needed some sort of adhesion promoter. I am going to pull them one more time and try scouring them again and then clearing them.

I don't think that the internals have been affected as they seem to ride the same as when I got them.

Top Bottom