Crash on Black Bear

Tree Frog

That photo kinda makes me sick to my stomach in a way.
Glad no one was hurt but the poor Commando Green JK.

Rharvey160

I was up there this morning and seen the wreck. Looked like they were real lucky they didn't go off the side of the mountain.

My wife was with me and was doing real good until she spotted the wreck. As soon as she seen it the first thing out of her mouth was "Get me off this mountain".

I have some better pictures and will post them up if there is any interest.

2RedRigs

I was up there this morning and seen the wreck. Looked like they were real lucky they didn't go off the side of the mountain.

My wife was with me and was doing real good until she spotted the wreck. As soon as she seen it the first thing out of her mouth was "Get me off this mountain".

I have some better pictures and will post them up if there is any interest.

Yep I want to see them, I'm still trying to get a handle on where exactly it went over. Almost looks like down by the processing mill with the small waterfall. But can't figure out how they would have done that.

eddy

Did black bear this summer, and it is a very dangerous trail even when dry. I do not recommend it.

Munday

Glad no one got injured!

Rharvey I'd like to see the pics.

X2 on both points.....

This trail has been on my to do list for a long time .... One year I will get down that way or skip EJS and hit up Colorado and Moab later in the year. I just want to get lined up with a local groups to hit up some of these Colorado trials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rharvey160

Yep I want to see them, I'm still trying to get a handle on where exactly it went over. Almost looks like down by the processing mill with the small waterfall. But can't figure out how they would have done that.

I left my card reader at home so won't be able to get pics off camera until I get home.

I almost didn't run Black Bear because there was a sign that said it would be closed this Thursday and Friday to repair a washed out section. I figured that if it was impassable "they" would of closed the trail so I pressed on.

Right past the waterfall and processing mill is where the wash out is. You had to hug the rocks on the left to get by. I was rubbing tires most of the short distance. This is the only spot that I could see where that jeep would have went off the trail. If that is where he went off it is hard to figure how he wound up where he did. Drop right wheel off trail, flip, and then gravity did the rest.

If he didn't go off there then it would have been past the first switchback and right around the waterfall and there would be no reason for that other than he got distracted. (Back seat quarterback).

I wished i had taken better pictures of the entire area that might explain it better. I didn't even take a pic of the washout.

2RedRigs

I left my card reader at home so won't be able to get pics off camera until I get home.

I almost didn't run Black Bear because there was a sign that said it would be closed this Thursday and Friday to repair a washed out section. I figured that if it was impassable "they" would of closed the trail so I pressed on.

Right past the waterfall and processing mill is where the wash out is. You had to hug the rocks on the left to get by. I was rubbing tires most of the short distance. This is the only spot that I could see where that jeep would have went off the trail. If that is where he went off it is hard to figure how he wound up where he did. Drop right wheel off trail, flip, and then gravity did the rest.

If he didn't go off there then it would have been past the first switchback and right around the waterfall and there would be no reason for that other than he got distracted. (Back seat quarterback).

I wished i had taken better pictures of the entire area that might explain it better. I didn't even take a pic of the washout.

So take a look at this, around the 1:05 mark, is this the area washed out?

Rancho

Caught the Bug
This trail is a blast but is to be taken seriously. If you saw the JKX Colorado edition, I did it that time in 2WD low (both front axles were out of commission.)

DSC06190_zps0a903274.jpg

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Did black bear this summer, and it is a very dangerous trail even when dry. I do not recommend it.

I ran it last summer also and it was awesome! I definitely recommend having a passenger that's not too afraid to stick their head out and tell you how much room you have as you come into the first turn. I also HIGHLY recommend a spotter for the first hard switchback at the top of the main switchbacks. The rest of the switchbacks aren't really that bad.

I did it in a JKUR and my buddies in their TJs had no problems. Don't do it alone that's for sure!

Black Bear was on my bucket list and it was super fun and exciting!!:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom