Gas milage with 35s

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Hey there, didn't see a thread on this, but it was on my mind so I thought I'd share. I was really curious how 35s would affect my gas milage, but could only find vague descriptions of performance changes, so I thought I'd offer up my experience. Please keep in mind, this is my unique situation, but thought I'd share. All mpg are from the Jeep dash display, but here's how it played out

At stock (despite dealer window sticker) I was getting about 15mpg street and 19mpg highway.
Installed Banks cold air intake, went up to 17mpg street and 20mpg highway
Installed Banks monster exhaust, went up to 19mpg street and 21mpg highway
Installed Budget Boost 2.5" lift and 35x12.50x17 Toyo Open Country MT (a heavy tire for sure) dropped to 11mpg street and 13mpg highway
Changed gears to 4.88 at ORE and only a minor change to 12mpg street and 14mpg highway

Again, this is my personal experience, but thought it might be of use to some. ENJOY! :thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
not sure about the intake it exhaust, but when you lift a jeep you get more drag underneath since its higher up. Take off the air dam and and bigger tires with a little more rolling resistance and you're going to lose mpg.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
not sure about the intake it exhaust, but when you lift a jeep you get more drag underneath since its higher up. Take off the air dam and and bigger tires with a little more rolling resistance and you're going to lose mpg.

Totally agree! I wasn't too surprised on the numbers when all was said and done, just figured if share my experience with everyone if there was any curious about it :)

MTG

Caught the Bug
Changed gears to 4.88 at ORE and only a minor change to 12mpg street and 14mpg highway

Hmmm? I would have expected you to get better mileage than that.

I get over 14 mpg in mixed driving with ATX slabs, 37" Nittos and 5.13s.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Hmmm? I would have expected you to get better mileage than that.

I get over 14 mpg in mixed driving with ATX slabs, 37" Nittos and 5.13s.

I was hoping to as well, not sure what is going on. I feel like it's a tuning issue. Maybe I need a programmer?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I was hoping to as well, not sure what is going on. I feel like it's a tuning issue. Maybe I need a programmer?

If I recall correctly, I was getting well over 16 mpg with my 315 Duratracs and 4.10 gears. Are you hand calculating or using the computer? If the later, you've reprogrammed for the tire size I assume. I also noticed that my MPG went up after I had a head replaced under warranty.

Ant's JK

I just regeared to 4.56 and I run 35 trail grapplers and I average 16mpg not much of a increase from 3.21 with the 35s

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
If I recall correctly, I was getting well over 16 mpg with my 315 Duratracs and 4.10 gears. Are you hand calculating or using the computer? If the later, you've reprogrammed for the tire size I assume. I also noticed that my MPG went up after I had a head replaced under warranty.

Yup the latter, and yes used AEV ProCal...I could always use again to double check. I'm taking it in for service, I'll have them check the heads, thanks so much!!

Sessoms14X

I'm getting around 17.5 mpg with 3.5" lift and 35s and the factory 4.1 gears. I also used the AEV ProCal. I'm on the highway most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

shadow21

Personally my jeep has 35's and 373 gears on the highway I'm getting 14-15 and 11-12 in the city. I don't know what's going on but I'm finding it hard to believe anyone is getting 16-17 unless your only going 50mph. I only turn 1700 rpm at 60-65 mph and 2100 at 75mph.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Personally my jeep has 35's and 373 gears on the highway I'm getting 14-15 and 11-12 in the city. I don't know what's going on but I'm finding it hard to believe anyone is getting 16-17 unless your only going 50mph. I only turn 1700 rpm at 60-65 mph and 2100 at 75mph.

My 35's with 5.13 gears on my 2011 I get around 13.5 in town and 18-19 when doing 65 on the highway. If I jump up to 70 it drops down to 16.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
My 35's with 5.13 gears on my 2011 I get around 13.5 in town and 18-19 when doing 65 on the highway. If I jump up to 70 it drops down to 16.

Wow, I want to get this kind of gas milage, I wonder what is up?

I took it to Dealer to check on heads firing, they said there was a flash update and told me to let them know if it makes a difference, so far, not. Curious what may be going on to hurt my milage so much

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
im very easy on the throttle and tend to stay at the speed limit just to save on fuel lol

I'll have to adopt the same mindset. A little difficult here in LA as anything more than a 6" gap between you and the car ahead constitutes enough room for a semi to pull in, but that's what patience is for right?!? :)

Tigereye10

Huh I average about 17-18mpgs mix of highway/city driving, with 35's, a 2.5" lift, and a magnaflow Axle-back exhaust. I do have the 3.6L motor not sure if that plays into the factor compared to the 3.8L? (if thats what you have that is)

shadow21

Geez man mine is a 2014. Something has to be wrong with the motor I'm very easy on the gas as well. I normally cruise to work at 55-60mph

RickyI

Huh I average about 17-18mpgs mix of highway/city driving, with 35's, a 2.5" lift, and a magnaflow Axle-back exhaust. I do have the 3.6L motor not sure if that plays into the factor compared to the 3.8L? (if thats what you have that is)

I also get good fuel mileage with mine, running 35's..... we just took a trip to Pigeon Forge, Tn, trip mileage was around 1875 miles, mostly highway, but I got 18.6 to 18.9.... this was running 89* gas and I do have a Superchip's tune on the 3.6L....
IMG_3397.jpg IMG_3346.jpg IMG_3427.jpg

Ricky

JeepinRay

34's / 4.10 / 2.5" lift / avg 16 - 17 w mixed rural driving. Do you all think a cold air intake and different exhaust make for a good ROI ?

Top Bottom