Prep'n for 2015 JKX submission

It was my birthday on the 30th. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, checking Wayalife and FB for updates for the 2014 JKX!! It was a long deserved" long" weekend and the family and I were camping for the first time this year (new job assignment has kicked my trash with travel). After about the 30th time checking for updates, my wife says, "hey, for your birthday why don't you get your Jeep put together and enter for next year"! Thanks hun!!!

Here is my question, what else should I do to the Jeep to get ready to enter? I have met all the prereqs with my build so far. Ive upgraded axle shafts, lift (running EVO bolt on coil overs and long arms with flip kit). Just put some new shoes on (37 Nitto trail grappler MT's). Winch, Sport cage, CB (and ham) and have some stock parts and others for breaks.

Any thoughts as to what else needs done or would you do? The bank account has some reserve for the build, but I don't want to break it either. I am thinking some new beadlocks? Maybe stick a PR 44 or go 60 upfront? PSC steering assist will be done before the end of the year.......WHAT ELSE? All input and critiquing appreciated!:rock:

BadApple

It was my birthday on the 30th. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, checking Wayalife and FB for updates for the 2014 JKX!! It was a long deserved" long" weekend and the family and I were camping for the first time this year (new job assignment has kicked my trash with travel). After about the 30th time checking for updates, my wife says, "hey, for your birthday why don't you get your Jeep put together and enter for next year"! Thanks hun!!!

Here is my question, what else should I do to the Jeep to get ready to enter? I have met all the prereqs with my build so far. Ive upgraded axle shafts, lift (running EVO bolt on coil overs and long arms with flip kit). Just put some new shoes on (37 Nitto trail grappler MT's). Winch, Sport cage, CB (and ham) and have some stock parts and others for breaks.

Any thoughts as to what else needs done or would you do? The bank account has some reserve for the build, but I don't want to break it either. I am thinking some new beadlocks? Maybe stick a PR 44 or go 60 upfront? PSC steering assist will be done before the end of the year.......WHAT ELSE? All input and critiquing appreciated!:rock:

My wife has also givin me the go ahead to build our new 4 door in january for next years JKX ive already got most of the parts on my wish list ready to be ordered!

MTG

Caught the Bug

If you meet the requirements then you do not NEED to do anything else but apply and have a little...er...a lot...of luck. Having met the requirements I would build the jeep for the manner in which you intend to use it and not because you want/hope to do JKX. If the type of wheeling you do warrants new axles then do it. If not, save your money and put it towards more pressing needs.

My :twocents: Hopefully that makes sense.

pastorwug

I would sure think you'd have a tough time on the kind of wheelin' they do on the JKX with a 30 front axle and 37s.

It ain't cheap gettin' ready for the JKX - and then there's the cost of being on it along with repairs/replacements on the trail and afterwards.

JAGS

Hooked
If you meet the requirements then you do not NEED to do anything else but apply and have a little...er...a lot...of luck. Having met the requirements I would build the jeep for the manner in which you intend to use it and not because you want/hope to do JKX. If the type of wheeling you do warrants new axles then do it. If not, save your money and put it towards more pressing needs.

Practical, what fun is that? :crazyeyes: More pressing needs....I can't start a thread titled, "Building toward 2022 twin's college education." :cheesy:

I'd be stoked to do JKX one year, as I think most would be. I have a lot more wheeling to do to feel even close to ready. Might get lucky, or may never happen. So I like and also follow the advice about building for the monthly trips, rather than just a JKX.

BadApple

Nice! Thanks for your service!! Does that mean your back in January?

Yeah i cant wait! I have 1 tons already just gotta get gears and lockers for them and they are ready to go in. I was gonna put them on the 2 dr but decided against it since we are picking up a 4dr as soon as i get back.

pastorwug

Practical, what fun is that? :crazyeyes: More pressing needs....I can't start a thread titled, "Building toward 2022 twin's college education." :cheesy:

I'd be stoked to do JKX one year, as I think most would be. I have a lot more wheeling to do to feel even close to ready. Might get lucky, or may never happen. So I like and also follow the advice about building for the monthly trips, rather than just a JKX.

Much more realistic!

BadApple

I would sure think you'd have a tough time on the kind of wheelin' they do on the JKX with a 30 front axle and 37s.

It ain't cheap gettin' ready for the JKX - and then there's the cost of being on it along with repairs/replacements on the trail and afterwards.

Whats wrong with a d30 and 37s. Thats what i run on my 2 dr and its trussed and not bent at all im mr perfect at welding :cheesy: lol no mines a ticking time bomb its just gotta last a little while longer and its in mall crawler status till January so i aint worried it gets driven about 20 miles a week and the cs are bent even with gussets. The 37s were an impulse buy and not very thought out.

Yep makes perfect sense. I know I don't NEED to do anything else but like you said "have lots of LUCK! I am building my Jeep for me, not for JKX (or the hopes of someday going) but I'm using the excuse to add to my build:thumb::thumb:. I live in Utah, make several trips to Moab and BFE a year and other places....I just figure how much abuse those guys go through in a week, my Jeep would be ready for almost anything.

I have a Rubicon, and I have built the 44 up as much as I could (wishing I would have spent the money on a PR 44). I know if I ever get to go, it will be expensive just for the TRIP. Part of the fun though is the building!!!:clap2:

I've been very lucky to have put away for the kids education funds for years. The wife makes good money too. I am not getting any younger and want to be able to enjoy life before my health makes me slow down.
Much more realistic!

Thanks for the input!!! It all makes sense. Now, if you could do some upgrades, what would they be?

I'll sign up Mumbo and I'll let you tag along..But you have to leave Frank at home, lol.

JAGS

Hooked
Much more realistic!

Just life in perspective. My rig is plenty capable. ;)

I've been very lucky to have put away for the kids education funds for years. The wife makes good money too. I am not getting any younger and want to be able to enjoy life before my health makes me slow down.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just that I wouldn't build and spend "just" for the JKX. Wife and I do alright too ;), but life has an odd way of dropping a gatekeeper just when the trail looks easy...from personal experience. My kids are 10 and I've been saving for 9 years 11 months. :yup: :crazyeyes: At 150K per kid, per degree, one's got to sacrifice a little to get a lot.

I'll sign up Mumbo and I'll let you tag along..But you have to leave Frank at home, lol.

No worries, he would cancel and blame work last minute anyways. :icon_crazy::cheesy:

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I guess it depends on where the JKX is being held. If it's on the west coast with big rocks axle swap and suspension travel or the east coast with lots of mud v8 swap with power to keep the tires spinning. LoL

Well after reading the tread there is one thing that did not stand out, rehearing for the 37's. If you have not I would highly recommend doing so. As for your front axle the stock D44 should work for you depending on how hard you hit objects while wheeling. Look at it this way when you get picked and attend the JKX and if you need new axles then get them.

Lastly start building your stock pile of parts that you may need, spare axle shafts F/R, u-joints etc......

Good luck,
Will

Well after reading the tread there is one thing that did not stand out, rehearing for the 37's. If you have not I would highly recommend doing so. As for your front axle the stock D44 should work for you depending on how hard you hit objects while wheeling. Look at it this way when you get picked and attend the JKX and if you need new axles then get them.

Lastly start building your stock pile of parts that you may need, spare axle shafts F/R, u-joints etc......

Good luck,
Will

Great points! I just installed 5:13's with the 37's.
Lines seem to be my friends not the skinny peddle. So far so good. But I agree, IF chosen, I may rethink the front for sure! Too many holes that had to be welded with the tubes I put in. Hind sight IS 20/20..... Don't do it people!

I have been building that pile of parts for a long time. They have come in handy already!

Top Bottom