2000 axle bearings

vbvoodoo

The axle bearing seal blew out and sprayed grease all over my brakes. I have to replace the bearing and seal. Ive been searching around the internet, and I found a great video for the job on a 98, and some instructions for an 02. In the 02, you can pull the bearing out with a slide hammer, but in the 98 you have to get them pressed in. Has anybody experience with the job in a 2000? I'm hoping it is the type I can pull without the press!

info4tim

Post this on *edited because I can't follow simple rules. should get answer quickly!

Let It SNOW!!

11/2/14: Note: Just saw this "post" here!! I DID NOT WRITE THIS! OMG! Apologies! Moderator: pls PM me!

Last edited:

David1tontj

The axle bearing seal blew out and sprayed grease all over my brakes. I have to replace the bearing and seal. Ive been searching around the internet, and I found a great video for the job on a 98, and some instructions for an 02. In the 02, you can pull the bearing out with a slide hammer, but in the 98 you have to get them pressed in. Has anybody experience with the job in a 2000? I'm hoping it is the type I can pull without the press!

The axle seal shouldn't be a problem, but I cannot imagine an axle bearing that doesn't need a press. I hope I'm wrong, but you might just need to find a friend with a press... I've go one in my garage, but that looks like a bit of a drive for you!

Do us a favor and let us know once you've found out so other people can benefit from this thread.

Thanks, And good luck!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

vbvoodoo

Sorry, initially I gave up on the thread and didn't update it.
Well...the race and the bearing were easy enough to get out with a slide hammer. The part that I got from autozone was not OEM, but I was told it was a better design. I was wary of it but I went with it. He said that it relocated the bearing. I can't even find it on their website to link a picture to. He said that OEM was not available and this was what I had to go with. It was a tapered item, with a slight taper like the axle housing is, with roller bearings, and a rubber seal on each side of the bearing. He said it still would get lubrication because it wasnt a tight seal. Well we lined up a large socket as seen in various videos on the subject and pounded the thing in place. then, the axle had to also be pounded in quite a bit. We did apply grease to the bearing but later I was told that it needed to be absolutely packed full, but having the assurance that it would get lube like the old bearing did, I didnt think twice about packing the bearing.

I drove on this for about a month, then one night out in the country in middle of nowhere, I got this bad grinding noise, followed by a lighter grinding. There was nowhere to pull over (narrow country roads) and be off of the road, so I stopped along the road and took a flashlight to see if I could see anything. I drove on for maybe 15 miles. It felt like a flat tire, like something was dragging me slower. After about the 15th mile, it was a loud squeal and the brake shoes smelled badly. I thought something got between the brakes and the drum, like a spring broke off or something. I was afraid to stop and pull the drum off because I didnt know if it would be able to get it back on again and I wasn't close to civilization, and payday is a week away so towing was my very last option, and I just figured that I'd end up replacing the brakes anyway. The next day at work I pulled the wheel off and found that I could move the axle 2-3" in any direction. There were a few roller bearings in the drum, along with various parts of broken clip and springs. The loud squealing was the inside of the drum running on the backing plate I think. On the inner lip of the drum, it cut through the steel drum. I'm probably lucky the axle didnt bind up and lock up the rear end.

On a search at napa auto parts, I found an OEM wheel bearing and I'm going to go with that next. Friday comes payday and I'll hit the salvage yard and hopefully find a whole axle,backing plate, drum, brake hardware assembly...and I'll try this thing again this weekend. I tell myself you gotta do if you wanna learn, and to make an omelette, you gotta break a few eggs. Hopefully I'll get this taken care of, then figure out what the clunk I hear in the front end is when I turn right, and maybe even be in wheeling condition someday!

Top Bottom