Electrical issue I think!

Bryan__howell

Every time I start my jeep in the morning, everything goes well. However near the afternoons my traction control light will come on and stay on. The jeep runs, but the power is extremely limited and feels like it won't downshift when you get on the gas. This jeep is a 2008 4 door jk wrangler x, it has 79k miles on it, but had a new engine put in at 74k that still has a warrenty on it. Does anyone know what this could possibly be? And if there are any simple fixes I can try? Maybe permanently disabling skid control?

Bryan welcome to the WAYALIFE. Stop by the give us a wave and give an introduction.

As for your electrical issue check the grounds. Sounds like that might be an issue. Also check you sensors at the wheels there might be an issue there. Is there a check engine light with an associated code? One other place to check is Project-JK.com under the write ups on the right side of the page. Eddie has some great write ups that might help.

What part of Memphis? I lived in Cordova and Bartlett when I was stationed there.

R/
Will

Bryan__howell

I live off Houston levee road. Glad to hear that there are some people by me! Thanks for the rapid response, there is a check engine light on, however, it's code is for my cadallidic converter

davantalus

Eddie, IIRC was having the same issue being low on oil. (But that was on Rubicat with a newer motor I think) Check your oil anyway?

I've experienced the TC light activating and remaining on during prolonged driving into a crosswind.
That didn't exhibit "Limp mode" though which it sounds like you're getting. I believe that the computer thought my steering was significantly off. Thus my question... is your steering wheel centered?

Last edited:

Bryan__howell

As far as I can tell, it is centered. However, it could be slightly off. I had to replace the engine due to an oil problem, and have been on top of checking the oil on a weakly basis, it seems to be doing ok. My wrangler does have a 3 inch lift with 35's, could this possibly be contributing to the issue?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If you have a catalytic convertor code and you are experiencing low power then your catalytic converters are most likely plugging up on you and would need to be replaced. When plugged/plugging it gives the same symptoms you have described also a lot like a failing fuel pump. One way to check is to unbolt/remove them and go for a drive. If you get your power back then you will know they were plugged up. Be forewarned though it will be loud and could get you a ticket if the cop wants to push it.

Top Bottom