Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

jesse3638

Hooked
I too like watching and learning from Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks on YouTube. He currently has a series on MIG basics. I am a very unskilled welder but am also teaching myself.

We have a little project were building at work and I just watched all 5 parts of that...haha

In high school. We had an awesome metal shop and teacher. After school I was in the ROP (Regional Occupation Program). Learned to mig, tig, arc and gas weld. Did that all through my high school years. Id say the one with the smallest learning curve was mig welding for sure. Although I'm a fan of tig. More control once you get used to coordinating your foot, hand and eyes. Lol

Then the rest was on the job training/practicing. (Was a heavy equip mech) when we weren't "working" we built a couple cars. Helped co workers build circle track race cars and cages. We had an entire workshop at our disposal after hours and on lunch breaks. Had a ton of fun.

Look up the great Gene Windfield. He puts on a few metal fab classes a year. Had a few friends go through his class. Can't wait to go myself.

MarkW13

I know the thread is a couple of months old, but learn to stick weld. Wired three car batteries together on my last trip to repair my trailer hitch. It worked incredibly well considering the circumstances. If I didn't have stick experience I would have given up and the trip would have been much tougher. The pick is at ershim lake on the dusy ershim trail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

CanadianJK

I was in this situation a month ago, and looked around for ways to learn how to weld.

In the end I found a friend that is a second year apprentice and while I have a lot to learn I am comfortable mig and stick welding. So far I have only had to pay him in sandwiches and beer :p

If you can learn on a cheapo flux core, it will save $ up front and when you move to a good MIG you will find it is easier. $100 got me a flux core that does the trick.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks for the continual updates and information everyone. Im still unsure on what direction I am going to take but it is awesome to see more suggestions.

Loading please wait....

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
You've inspired me to get back into welding. I just signed up for a class locally. Hopefully I can fab up some things one of these days.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I think that I will be final able to pick up a welder this month! Those of you that do weld in your garage, do you have/use any welding screens? And do you have any of these welding tables or do you just weld on the floor? Also, where do you attach your ground? Probably all silly questions, but I'd rather you think that I'm silly, then burn my house down. :crazyeyes:

GR8WHITE

I think that I will be final able to pick up a welder this month! Those of you that do weld in your garage, do you have/use any welding screens? And do you have any of these welding tables or do you just weld on the floor? Also, where do you attach your ground? Probably all silly questions, but I'd rather you think that I'm silly, then burn my house down. :crazyeyes:
1. no need for welding screens
2. I have a miller table and like it a lot. I was going to just make one but by the time I bought all of the metal and took the time to do it, i found it easier to just buy a table. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428156863.129791.jpg
3. Attack your ground to a paint and rust free surface on the work piece.

Rebel JK

I put together this table. For me, comfortable body postition is half the battle. I try not to do more than tack things up in the garage to avoid the fire risk and for ventilation. I keep an extinguisher handy as well as the hose.

ForumRunner_20150404_071718.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Oh and what other tools do you suggest for metal work? Grinding, cutting etc.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
1. no need for welding screens
2. I have a miller table and like it a lot. I was going to just make one but by the time I bought all of the metal and took the time to do it, i found it easier to just buy a table. View attachment 135088
3. Attack your ground to a paint and rust free surface on the work piece.

Great. Thanks for the info. As for #3 if I work welding sliders on the frame, Id attach the ground to the frame correct?

I put together this table. For me, comfortable body postition is half the battle. I try not to do more than tack things up in the garage to avoid the fire risk and for ventilation. I keep an extinguisher handy as well as the hose.

View attachment 135090

I didnt think of having a garden hose handy. I do have a fire extinguisher and I was going to get a second one just for the welding area. Thanks.

thardy

Banned
Great. Thanks for the info. As for #3 if I work welding sliders on the frame, Id attach the ground to the frame correct?

The frame is good, you would just want to be sure to grind the paint in that area off the frame. Otherwise you won't get a good ground.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Oh and what other tools do you suggest for metal work? Grinding, cutting etc.

If you buy grinders, you may wantto spend a few extra dollars buying ones that are built for professional construction work, instead of a piece of junk from Home Despot. Go to an industrial supply for tools and stuff like grinding wheels. Big box stores don't carry 1/8" thick or 0.045 cutting wheels. Cutting wheels are really useful for trimming steel, but can be incredibly dangerous if you are cutting steel and pinch the wheel (much like pinching a chainsaw on alog that falls I to itself as you're cutting). They can break apart if pinched and create projectiles from the wheel.

I learned to weld, rig, fabricate and be a mechanic as an apprentice in the metal trades.

Siebermd

I weld

Tyler, sorry, I dont dig around Wayalife enough and I havent seen this until today. Anytime you want to come over to my place, I can show you my welding equipment and we can run some welds. Sorry I hadnt seen this sooner.

matt

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Tyler, sorry, I dont dig around Wayalife enough and I havent seen this until today. Anytime you want to come over to my place, I can show you my welding equipment and we can run some welds. Sorry I hadnt seen this sooner.

matt

Nice! I will definitely take you up on the offer soon. Thank you very much!

robx251

Caught the Bug
Well I'm certainly no master welding I started out working on a 220 stick welder I believe it's an old 70's craftsman I was okay with that the hardest issue I had with that one was trying to feed to stick in at the right speed once you get started. Since then I have used some Hobart flux core and some Linkin wire feed with gas welders once I get the Camp and wire speed correct I can usually make things look pretty good but those are the biggest things I have an issue with right now Strang get the amperage and the wires being in the right spot. Most of what weld now is exhaust but that's not to say I didn't get a lots of practice Welding the old frame of my old YJ

HeyitsRay

Just got back into welding after a 15 year hiatus. Lincoln 210mp. Really want to try tig welding for the pretty welds! +1 on getting a good grinder. Metabo makes great grinders.

Top Bottom