Hbkid - "RHINO"

hbkid22

Being you have a x model, your rear axle is better than a Rubicon if you want to put a locker. The front d30 is your weak link. Good luck with your build. Looking good!

Thanks for the info. That is good to know. And yes I do plan on a locker so I will go that route.

hbkid22

Ok so a few things are finally happening. Jeep is going in tomorrow to get the carpet out. Tried but it is bad so I figured I will let someone else breathe in those fumes. :)

Ordered myself a new trektop nx twill. Using Rubicat (pre evo throw down) as a guide even though I am a 2 door for design.

Also just got my CB in. Going with a bearcat uniden 880 and using the strike force mount above the rear view mirror. This will be going in end of month.

Question. I am thinking of cutting the fender but not sure if I should until I put 37s on. I have 35s on now and have plenty room but like the look of flat fenders but think cutting them now with 35s will make it look a little bit off proportion wise with how much room I have between the tires and fenders now. Thoughts?

Last edited:

hbkid22

Do you know how much lift you actually got from the 3" coils?

-Nicco

I don't. I bought it done so I am still not sure if it's a 3 or 4 inch lift. Does anyone know the stock height of a 2dr to the underside? I can give you a rough estimate that way but I am also running 35s.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So I'm still new to all this but what is a 35 spline?

A spline is the raised portion of the end of your axle shaft between the notched grooves cut into the axle shaft. The more splines you have, the more contact you have, thus making it stronger.

131_0608_03_z+dynatrac_axle+40_spline_axleshaft_35_spline_axleshaft.jpg

Olram's point was that since a non-Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle uses the same length axle shaft on both the passenger and driver, it would be advantageous because you could simply carry one single spare shaft with you on the trail in the event one breaks while you're out. With the Rubicon model, the shafts are not the same length because of the carrier (or locker) used inside the differential. It's the same spline count, but different length.

Apples to apples, a Rubicon axle is superior because of the locker that comes with it, but assuming you're upgrading down the line with an aftermarket locker anyway, the equal-length axle shaft is a nice to have.

hbkid22

A spline is the raised portion of the end of your axle shaft between the notched grooves cut into the axle shaft. The more splines you have, the more contact you have, thus making it stronger.

View attachment 101670

Olram's point was that since a non-Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle uses the same length axle shaft on both the passenger and driver, it would be advantageous because you could simply carry one single spare shaft with you on the trail in the event one breaks while you're out. With the Rubicon model, the shafts are not the same length because of the carrier (or locker) used inside the differential. It's the same spline count, but different length.

Apples to apples, a Rubicon axle is superior because of the locker that comes with it, but assuming you're upgrading down the line with an aftermarket locker anyway, the equal-length axle shaft is a nice to have.

That is good to know and very helpful. I do plan on getting a locker in the rear at least so I will stick with what I have for now in the rear but redo the front when I go to 37's.

Thanks for the help and info.....

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
That is good to know and very helpful. I do plan on getting a locker in the rear at least so I will stick with what I have for now in the rear but redo the front when I go to 37's.

Thanks for the help and info.....

You got it pal!

hbkid22

So installing the CB I get to the point where I'm going to mount the antenna and realize I don't have (h) on attached picture. I would have assumed it would have come with the coax cable. Am I wrong? And if so what is that called so I can get it? Yes I am a newbie at this. :)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411702446.957647.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So installing the CB I get to the point where I'm going to mount the antenna and realize I don't have (h) on attached picture. I would have assumed it would have come with the coax cable. Am I wrong? And if so what is that called so I can get it? Yes I am a newbie at this. :)
View attachment 102370

What does the end of your cable look like?

Top Bottom