Houston Area Wayalife-ers!

Jackal01

Yeah, it was leaking oil and trans fluid bad. Then it started to lose power on the freeway. Since it was my daily driver and I couldn't afford a LS I had to make the move.
Paying a shop to do a LS swap would probably cost about what a new/used rig would be. I wonder if any bank, CUs, etc give auto loans (or any loan) to do a motor swap. Hmmmm

Kyle7R

Alright guys, I need some insight or suggestions.

It has only happened a couple of times, but it's what I am concerned is DW. Every time it happens, it's after hitting a bump (or unexpected speed bump, like on the way to the Suds N Grub last month). But it's been at speeds of anywhere from 15-40MPH, hitting a bump or washout in the road and the Jeep wobbling uncontrollably until I can come to a complete stop and start up again.

Tom suggested it might be the balljoints, and I thought that easy/cheap enough to do regardless of whether it was the issue or not. Being as the Jeep just hit 50k, and about 25 of that has been on the 35's. I didn't realize that you had to completely disassemble the axle and remove the shafts to replace the balljoints (according to the writeups that I've come across)

Steering seems a bit flighty at times, though it could just be my imagination running wild on me. Tires have been recently balanced as well.

Thoughts?

It has only happened a couple of times, but it's what I am concerned is DW. Every time it happens, it's after hitting a bump (or unexpected speed bump, like on the way to the Suds N Grub last month). But it's been at speeds of anywhere from 15-40MPH, hitting a bump or washout in the road and the Jeep wobbling uncontrollably until I can come to a complete stop and start up again.

Tom suggested it might be the balljoints, and I thought that easy/cheap enough to do regardless of whether it was the issue or not. Being as the Jeep just hit 50k, and about 25 of that has been on the 35's. I didn't realize that you had to completely disassemble the axle and remove the shafts to replace the balljoints (according to the writeups that I've come across)

Steering seems a bit flighty at times, though it could just be my imagination running wild on me. Tires have been recently balanced as well.

Thoughts?

Check for play in your front track bar. Also check for loose connections in your tie rod and drag link ends. You recently replaced your front wheel bearings too right?

WJCO

Meme King

Thoughts?

That's DW. Have someone turn steering wheel back and forth while you look for play. First thing I always check is steering linkage (tie rod ends and drag link ends) and track bar ends. Even a very small amount of movement can cause DW. Have you done anything to it recently as far as repairs? Also, if track bar end is moving, don't just assume it's a bushing, it can be a loose bolt or an elongated bracket hole. Then next check unit bearings and ball joints.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it.

Kyle7R

Check for play in your front track bar. Also check for loose connections in your tie rod and drag link ends. You recently replaced your front wheel bearings too right?

I'll have to check it out this weekend, I guess.

I didn't replace the bearings, I only replaced the lugs, I did have this happen once or twice (when I had the stock tires on thinking about trading it in) before the wheel/lug nut incident when my wife was driving

That's DW. Have someone turn steering wheel back and forth while you look for play. First thing I always check is steering linkage (tie rod ends and drag link ends) and track bar ends. Even a very small amount of movement can cause DW. Have you done anything to it recently as far as repairs? Also, if track bar end is moving, don't just assume it's a bushing, it can be a loose bolt or an elongated bracket hole. Then next check unit bearings and ball joints.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it.

I'll have to get under it this weekend and look. Maybe one of the local guys who knows more about it than me will be free and we can take a look at it.

Top Bottom