Houston Area Wayalife-ers!

WJCO

Meme King
Anybody on here have a utility trailer they'd like to loan out for a day or two?

Looks like this Colorado thing is panning out and we'll be moving some furniture to my mother in laws, some to donation and probably a storage unit for some of our bigger items we won't be taking with us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you guys pick a city or area yet?

Kyle7R

Did you guys pick a city or area yet?
We've got a few places on our list to hit when we come up to visit early next month. Starting off in Fort Collins, if we are close to my new office, and the school my wife is looking at we can manage going down to one vehicle for a short time.

The office is right at I-25 and East Harmony Rd.

Anvil JKUR

Anybody running bead lock wheels in the Houston area? Only reason I ask is because moving to the area soon and I understand there is a yearly vehicle inspection could the bead locks cause me to fail inspection.
Or is it even worth having bead lock wheels in the area. Any info helps
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Flat Top

Anybody on here have a utility trailer they'd like to loan out for a day or two?

Looks like this Colorado thing is panning out and we'll be moving some furniture to my mother in laws, some to donation and probably a storage unit for some of our bigger items we won't be taking with us.

Did you ever find a trailer? I have a medium duty kayak trailer you can use. It's just a flat 6 x 8
trailer without sides.

Flat Top

Anybody running bead lock wheels in the Houston area? Only reason I ask is because moving to the area soon and I understand there is a yearly vehicle inspection could the bead locks cause me to fail inspection.
Thanks

I've been running ATX Slabs for 2 years (2 inspections @ 2 different spots) One in Montgomery county (north of Houston) and Harris country(Houston metro) and it has not been a problem. This past inspection the guy even asked if they were real bead locks but it was not a problem.

Jackal01

Thanks
Passed last year without issue. I was also doorless. No issue there as well.

tdougherty81

Thanks

No issue for me last year, they did fail me for my f-ing wipers though.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks

Passed last year without issue. I was also doorless. No issue there as well.

That's awesome. Rolling in for your inspection with no doors. I'm definitely doing this rain or shine in May!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No issue for me last year, they did fail me for my f-ing wipers though.

yep, they check braking distance from about 15mph (Which my jeep with 37s and stock brakes passes with FLYING colors... so its a B.S. test...); turn signals, lights, wipers, tire tread, EVAP, OBDII Emissions, and Texas minimum safety. which requires only 1 rear view mirror. Doors, windows, hell even a windshield are not required by state law. However, you CAN fail inspection for badly cracked windshield, windows tinted darker than the legal limit, or a Windshield "brow" extending past the AS-1 line as it "impairs drivers field of vision" :yup:

I have beadlocks on my jeep. no issues with the Fuzz :idontknow:

Last edited:

Anvil JKUR

yep, they check braking distance from about 15mph (Which my jeep with 37s and stock brakes passes with FLYING colors... so its a B.S. test...); turn signals, lights, wipers, tire tread, EVAP, OBDII Emissions, and Texas minimum safety. which requires only 1 rear view mirror. Doors, windows, hell even a windshield are not required by state law. However, you CAN fail inspection for badly cracked windshield, windows tinted darker than the legal limit, or a Windshield "brow" extending past the AS-1 line as it "impairs drivers field of vision" :yup:

I have beadlocks on my jeep. no issues with the Fuzz :idontknow:

Let me get this straight. I have to hand over my keys to somebody to do the brake test or does the vehicle owner do the brake test?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Let me get this straight. I have to hand over my keys to somebody to do the brake test or does the vehicle owner do the brake test?

you have to hand over your keys to the inspection station employee so they can do the brake test; usually they cone off a section in the parking lot for the brake test and the vehicle in question has to stop within the distance between the cones.

and now, in Texas, you can no longer register your vehicle without a passing state inspection... so make sure to have the inspection done BEFORE you try to register it. :yup:

Last edited:

Anvil JKUR

you have to hand over your keys to the inspection station employee so they can do the brake test; usually they cone off a section in the parking lot for the brake test and the vehicle in question has to stop within the distance between the cones.

and now, in Texas, you can no longer register your vehicle without a passing state inspection... so make sure to have the inspection done BEFORE you try to register it. :yup:

Thanks for the heads up! I am not sure how I would of acted if some guy or gal who brought my Jeep up to speed then hit the brakes with out knowing this. I would have some questions for them.

Thanks again.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
hmm an to think up this way most places check the basics , tires , lights , wipers working, clear field of view, some places will drive it to make sure on the brakes other places dont bother have yet to see any up this way do emissions yet .. most times i have been in an out for it within a few minutes ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
hmm an to think up this way most places check the basics , tires , lights , wipers working, clear field of view, some places will drive it to make sure on the brakes other places dont bother have yet to see any up this way do emissions yet .. most times i have been in an out for it within a few minutes ..

my post is specific to Harris county and the surrounding area. He said he was moving to the Houston area, so I can only assume he will be within 30 miles of Harris County, in which case, will have the same inspection laws thanks to "Houston greater metropolitan" I know for a fact that other county's around Texas are MUCH more relaxed... but Houston and surrounding seem to be one of the most strict in Texas that I know of.

Flat Top

Counties around Houston, Austin, Dallas and El Paso all have emissions testing as part of inspections. Same reason these counties are capped @ 65 MPH for state roads (toll roads not under the same restrictions).

TexasInspection.jpg

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
i knew dallas did emissions as i looked into it when i first moved down here from up north didnt know houston did tho .... Ct. they did em along with brakes only they put ya on a pad an had to be pretty even on both sides front an rear or ya failed emissions you could fail spend x amount on to repair it then re test still fail and get a waiver for that year ...

Top Bottom