Jeep pulls to the drivers side

Tachyon

Update, have the currie track bar relocation bracket and a fresh alignment and the Jeep is finally behaving itself on the road. Still a very slight pull left, but it's very minor.

USMC Wrangler

I have a similar problem. Installed the lift, Jeep pulls left when I accelerate and if I engine brake (it's a manual), it pulls right. It goes dead straight when i coast or use the brakes.

I have a Fox steering damper, which I believe will usually make it pull left, but why does the direction change to right if I downshift or let off the gas?

Checked tire pressure, just had it aligned...here are the specs. View attachment 116599

Sorry for the old thread revival. Found the above post during my searches. I'm having a very similar problem...pulls left during acceleration and back to the right during deceleration. 22,000 miles on my 13 JKU sport, EVO leveling springs up front, 1 3/4" spacer in the rear. It's more prevalent when pulling my trailer with a total weight of 900 lbs (not sure of tongue weight). The back does squat with the trailer and I can physically see the rear axle is probably 1" more to the driver's side. 255/80/17 KM2's have about 5000 miles on them and were rotated 2000 miles ago. The faster the speed the more the steering wheel is canted to the right. No ESC light. I realize the skinny tires can be a little flighty, but this just started in the last 1500 miles or so. Where do I start?

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry for the old thread revival. Found the above post during my searches. I'm having a very similar problem...pulls left during acceleration and back to the right during deceleration. 22,000 miles on my 13 JKU sport, EVO leveling springs up front, 1 3/4" spacer in the rear. It's more prevalent when pulling my trailer with a total weight of 900 lbs (not sure of tongue weight). The back does squat with the trailer and I can physically see the rear axle is probably 1" more to the driver's side. 255/80/17 KM2's have about 5000 miles on them and were rotated 2000 miles ago. The faster the speed the more the steering wheel is canted to the right. No ESC light. I realize the skinny tires can be a little flighty, but this just started in the last 1500 miles or so. Where do I start?

Typically, when a vehicle pulls during acceleration/deceleration, it is an axle issue, commonly called torque steer. Usually the problem occurs after an axle replacement whereas the wrong part is used or is installed incorrectly. The pull usually occurs from one axle length being longer than the other. Have you had any of that kind of work done lately? As you said, your rear axle is visibly favoring one side of the vehicle, I would start by finding out why that is, then diagnose from there. Hopefully you don't have any bent parts, but that never happens on Jeeps anyways, right? ;)

colson0929

It sounds like you have a spacer lift and need a track bar relocation bracket to pull your axle to the correct side. Or an adjustable rear track bar.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks. No, axles are all stock still other than c-gussets and LCA skids burned on up front.

I highly doubt that would have anything to do with it, but just in case, did the issue start at the same time? Also, when did you notice the rear axle was favoring one side? After a lift? The only things I can think that would cause that is an improper track bar length or really bad control arm bushings or bent control arms.

USMC Wrangler

Yes , shortly after I went from 3/4" to 1 3/4" spacers in the back is when I noticed the accel/decel change. I first noticed the rear axle favoring the driver's side today. I'm on my way home to TX from a trip to AZ.

WJCO

Meme King
My JK product knowledge is weak, but I'm sure others will chime in. But from your symptom, and when it occurred, and what you noticed visually regarding the rear axle, I would do what you need to to get that axle tracking straight to start with. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

USMC Wrangler

My JK product knowledge is weak, but I'm sure others will chime in. But from your symptom, and when it occurred, and what you noticed visually regarding the rear axle, I would do what you need to to get that axle tracking straight to start with. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Good copy! I'll start with squaring away the rear axle.

When I added the rear spacers I did remove the axle side track bar bolt. When I installed it, the rear tires were on the ground and I had to have my son push the passenger side of the Jeep towards the driver's side to get the bolt back in. Torqued to 125 ft lbs. and rechecked after 100 miles or so. Anyway, I'll read up on centering the axles. Thanks again!

CrazyLarry

OP you are experiencing radiul pull with those trail grapplers. Mine pull to the left as well. Im sure its this because i had mtrs on previously and they pulled to the right

Exodus 4x4

I have the same issue pulling left after I installed my lift. Changed from cooper stt's to trail grapplers and still have the same problem. Tried removing SS completely and it still did it. Got a lot better with the evo drag link flip, but it's still there.

mds22

I had a "pulling left" problem with my other jeep, got rid of my nittos TG and it went away.

I had a "pulling left" problem with my other jeep, got rid of my nittos TG and it went away.

I posted the same issue (pulling to left) without stating I had Nitto's and had about 5 people ask if I was running the Nitto TG. I've learned to just deal with it. Drives me a little crazy but from everything I've read it is pretty normal.

USMC Wrangler

Here's an update on mine, fwiw.

I readjusted the load in my trailer yesterday before hitting the road. I still had a slight pull to the left, but nowhere as bad as the previous day. Also, (just eyeballing it as before), the rear axle seems centered. So, I'm guessing when the rear is compressed its natural for the rear axle to shift to the driver's side???

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Here's an update on mine, fwiw.

I readjusted the load in my trailer yesterday before hitting the road. I still had a slight pull to the left, but nowhere as bad as the previous day. Also, (just eyeballing it as before), the rear axle seems centered. So, I'm guessing when the rear is compressed its natural for the rear axle to shift to the driver's side???

As the distance between rear axle and frame goes up (taller lift, lighter loads, etc) the axle will shift towards the pass side because of the track bar. As the distance goes down (heavier loads, towing a trailer, less lift, etc.) the axle will shift more towards the driver side.

USMC Wrangler

As the distance between rear axle and frame goes up (taller lift, lighter loads, etc) the axle will shift towards the pass side because of the track bar. As the distance goes down (heavier loads, towing a trailer, less lift, etc.) the axle will shift more towards the driver side.

Ok, that seems to be what I've experienced with my improper load placement in the trailer. I need to pay better attention to that.

I'm about to take the Jeep out for a drive without the trailer. I'll see if it's still pulling during acceleration.

USMC Wrangler

It was pretty windy the first part of the drive. It's slightly pulling left on acceleration still, but not too bad at lower speeds and no trailer. I'm starting to wonder with 22,500 miles and my DIY c-gusset installation if a ball joint or four may be the culprit??? I'll check on that and report back.

USMC Wrangler

I found some level ground and checked my front sway bar angle. It shows about 14.5* on both sides. I've been looking for a reason to buy the JKS links, so those are on order. I'm not sure if getting the sway bar at a better angle will help. Hopefully will have time today to check the ball joints for play.

TheFett

I know this is an old thread here. But thought maybe talking alignment this thread might be helpful.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=3861

I too am having this problem. Ever since installing my 3.5 RK Suspension mine has pulled left (driver side).

I have paid for about 3 total alignments, with the last one being at the stealership and they said I needed inverted ball joints and that would fix it. Something about inverted ball joints would be best for my setup and correct my problem.

So I'm 3.5" Max Travel RK lift, 8 fully adjustable control arms, front and rear track bar adjustable. Running 37x12.50x17 Nitto TG with Fox SS and running Currie AntiRock swaybar. When installed was all setup we made sure to follow ALL directions for length of arms according to RK directions. So got 3 alignments and still pulls.

Since, I've now replaced the front track bar with the AEV JK High Steer kit and OME SS. still pulling. So my next move is to attempt this thread and check my own alignment. I've got the printout each time and everyone says there's nothing to do.

Ultimately, I'm getting rid of this RK kit and moving over to an AEV 3.5 kit, and I'll change my tires to probably the BFG K02's as I drive more on road these days anyway and these perform great on highway with less pull from what I've read.

Hope this helps! Anyone reading this if you have suggestions for me and my issues 🙄 as it pertains to the Jeep (there's no helping MY issues...lol).

Top Bottom