Terra vs Trail

I've decided to make the move to 37's. I'm sold on Nitto, but torn between "practical" (using practical loosely) and fun...Terra Grappler vs Trail Grappler.

I was originally going to get the Trail Grappler, but then my wife saw that there was an option for a more comfortable ride.

My question is how much capability will I really lose going with the Terra vs Trail?

A few things...

The JK is my everyday
Current tire is 35x12.5x17 Cooper M&S
mostly rock crawling
I go to Big Bear frequently so snow is a factor

Thanks

I have ran both and they are both great tires. But the trails will do allot better on the rocks and they ride great on the highway as well. If it was just a DD I would say Terra Grapplers but since your gonna use them for rock crawling I would get the trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Honestly for an everyday driver, I would probably go with the Terra Grapplers. On dry smooth rocks, all terrains can be just as if not more effective than mud terrains. Light snow and Icy conditions, the AT will be far superior. The biggest difference between the two is probably the sidewalls. The Trail Grapplers have a much thicker sidewall for durability and improved traction but that also leads to a harsher ride.

Some of the new all terrain tires including the Nittos, Toyos and a lot of guys like the Duratracs are really quite impressive and a huge step up from ten or so years ago.

Twiztid11

Not to hijack the OP thread but what PSI should be ran with the Nitto trail grapplers and no additional weight added on the rig?

2014 JKU, manual, stock....for now.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not to hijack the OP thread but what PSI should be ran with the Nitto trail grapplers and no additional weight added on the rig?

Best way is to chaulk test it, but most find around 28-30 to work best.

Twiztid11

Best way is to chaulk test it, but most find around 28-30 to work best.

So would I just draw a chalk line over the tires. Drive a certain distance? What results would I be looking for?

Flyer

The Toyo (Nitto actually) Trails looks like they would be very well-mannered MTs. I run MTRs and prefer them on trails to any AT but on snowy roads and highways, they don't brake as well as ATs. I just go slower and leave a lot of room- plus I have another vehicle with DuraTracs on so when I go to the ski resort (Breckenridge) where I have another place (so I go often) and am not doing any heavy offroading, I just take that. Still, I'd go with the Trails. If I get tired of the MTRs, the Trails would be my other choice. They are a quite a bit heavier though.

Jk909

I have the terra grapplers on all of my work trucks. 6 ply takes a beating, lasts for a really long time and grips up really good. I was also impressed at how quiet they run.

2011jk

I have 40" Trails on my JK love them and have 35" on my Excursion..hate them...so my vote is get the trails.

Top Bottom