Let the Repairs to Moby Begin!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As most of you know, Moby took on a considerable amount of body damage during the 2014 JK-Experience. Specifically, the A-Pillar and B-Pillar got hit as well as both the front and rear doors along the passenger side. While the damage to the pillars wasn't too bad, both doors got crumpled in pretty good and the rear window got blown out. Here's a shot of what it looked like...
attachment.php

Anyway, rather than try and have them repaired (which can cost quite a bit), we decided to start looking for a set of doors from a junk yard. Fortunately, with a Jeep, doors are pretty easy to swap out and if you can find them in the color you need, you don't even have to paint them! So, after doing some looking around, Cindy found a rear door in great condition and thanks to Adam and Moochie for picking it up at a salvage yard in San Diego, Moby now has a new donor rear door. All we have to do is pick it up :D

Shot of what it looks like...
IMG_1654.jpg

Here it is on Smokey ready for transport...
attachment.jpg

We've found several front doors in good shape but none in white. If nothing else, we'll pick one of them up and just have it painted. Anyway, Moby is well on the way to looking just like new again and sooner than later. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I washed it for you after this photo was taken. The part numbers are still there though. It will take something stronger than soap and water to remove these. :)

Well that's a bummer. I sure hope that it will come off. I'm trying to figure out when we can come down to pick it up and will let you know. Maybe we can do some kind of suds-n-grub at the same time :yup:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Must say that Moby sure looks a lot better :thumb:

Maybe put some more thought into some door armor of some sort :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How many sets of doors does this make? Lol

LOL!! Well, this would make 3 doors that we've damaged pretty good... maybe 4 but, we never fixed the last gash. We actually considered moving over to a set of cheap half doors like what Rugged Ridge makes and may still do that but, wanted to still have a set of full doors too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Must say that Moby sure looks a lot better :thumb:

Maybe put some more thought into some door armor of some sort :idontknow:

Actually, we prefer to run without doors and under normal circumstances, would have on the terrain that we were playing on. Unfortunately, it's hard to make time to strip down on the JKX and well, we didn't go all that way to not play :crazyeyes: :D

That reminds me of this:
View attachment 101019

:cheesy: That too cool :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, we tried cleaning the doors the damaged doors the best we could and from a distance, they don't look to bad... or, at least, in my opinion anyway.

attachment.php

Of course, doorless and topless, you can't even tell anything happened :cool:

1901711_721411321272953_3429652787170344326_n.jpg

Moochie

Well that's a bummer. I sure hope that it will come off. I'm trying to figure out when we can come down to pick it up and will let you know. Maybe we can do some kind of suds-n-grub at the same time :yup:

I was going to try goo gone or similar on the paint but, I decided to leave the experimenting to you. It should just scrape off on the window.

JeepFan

Hooked
View attachment 101021
I washed it for you after this photo was taken. The part numbers are still there though. It will take something stronger than soap and water to remove these. :)

Hey Moochie! Great find! If you could let Chris know where you found the doors, I'm sure he would appreciate it. He needs a drivers door and possible left rear door as well. :doh:

door.jpg

Last edited:

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 101021

Hey Moochie! Great find! If you could let Chris know where you found the doors, I'm sure he would appreciate it. He needs a drivers door and possible left rear door as well. :doh:

View attachment 101022

I did a search on car-part.com to find the door. I just did a search for a red front driver side door and found one in Canada. :yup:

Front Door
Jeep Wrangler LH,RED,4DR,PW,A7DD,CLR,11/06 000 A
0 MK8656 795
--Can--
$795.00
actual Ernie's Used Auto Parts - QRPBC Can-BC(Castlegar) Request_Quote 1-877-365-6225 Request_Insurance_Quote

There are a few more listed as well.

Top Bottom