Rustoleum for the diff?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Quick question, so I live on an island. Beaches everywhere and we camp out on a few, and the mud from the trails leading to the beach are full of mud, salty mud for that matter. I noticed after the last trip that the black coat of paint from the diffs is starting to go and that bit of rust color is seeping in. Should and could I rustoleum the crap out of it or not mind at all. Pointers gladly welcome. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411245630.089053.jpg
Jorge

Ah2014jk

Quick question, so I live on an island. Beaches everywhere and we camp out on a few, and the mud from the trails leading to the beach are full of mud, salty mud for that matter. I noticed after the last trip that the black coat of paint from the diffs is starting to go and that bit of rust color is seeping in. Should and could I rustoleum the crap out of it or not mind at all. Pointers gladly welcome. View attachment 101156
Jorge

I live in Canada.... Kind of like the states but we are land of the snow home of the salt trucks. I have painted mine with a rattle can on all my jeeps. Good thick coating never hurt. You can do them
On the vehicle but tape the hell out of everything so you don't get a lot of spray on things you don't want. Unless of course you're just using black ....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
From things I've read, it seems it's better to leave the rust alone, rather than seal it in under a layer of paint.

GuillaumeC91

After every few trail runs I usually clean everything under the Jeep with a pressure washer, let dry for a few hours on a warm summer day, and use rust converter primer and paint. The rust converter transforms the rust surface into a clear primed surface. After that, a few coats of flat back every where and to top it off, I use Krown 2x a year to rust proof the whole vehicle.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

jeeeep

Hooked
From things I've read, it seems it's better to leave the rust alone, rather than seal it in under a layer of paint.

that's correct if you are using regular paint, if you use a rust converter it converts the rust to a stable state and primes it as well, actually turns it black but I forget what the end result is called. It can then be painted on top of that.

I learned this from a couple of friends who maintain marinas and a buddy who paints military equipment.

Top Bottom