does my coil need immediate attention? photo

JLSilerJK

Outside today looking at the jeep and I noticed what looks like breakage/rust at the lowest part of the coil. I think I got a good pic of it but can take others. Should I stop driving and get new coils ordered asap or can I let it go til spring?

Attachments

• 9 21 021.jpg
    9 21 021.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 297

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Is that paint or actual metal peeled back? If they are factory coils, which I see a tag, you could find some take offs pretty easy.

Panda

Outside today looking at the jeep and I noticed what looks like breakage/rust at the lowest part of the coil. I think I got a good pic of it but can take others. Should I stop driving and get new coils ordered asap or can I let it go til spring?

If you need I have a set of stock rubicon shocks and coils for a 2 door with less than a thousand miles for free, you pay shipping and they're yours

JLSilerJK

Thanks for the "you'll be fine's" after further inspection looks like the paint. :thumb:

Olram- yes they are the mopars that end in 18. I think I figured out that is the legnth of the coil in the 4 dr rubicon? You are right in pointing out that it could be found easily. But... Where is the fun in that? I would of had to do some kind of upgrade

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks for the "you'll be fine's" after further inspection looks like the paint. :thumb:

Olram- yes they are the mopars that end in 18. I think I figured out that is the legnth of the coil in the 4 dr rubicon? You are right in pointing out that it could be found easily. But... Where is the fun in that? I would of had to do some kind of upgrade

True, but if it's just paint, then no big deal.

jeeeep

Hooked
my ocd talking.....if you wanted to cleanup some of that rust and protect it a bit more before winter, take a wire brush and remove any loose rust then spray it with some Krylon rust protector converting primer or rust tough fix.

painter buddy of mine directed me to this and stuff works well and doesn't require a lot of prep work.

JLSilerJK

my ocd talking.....if you wanted to cleanup some of that rust and protect it a bit more before winter, take a wire brush and remove any loose rust then spray it with some Krylon rust protector converting primer or rust tough fix.

painter buddy of mine directed me to this and stuff works well and doesn't require a lot of prep work.

I'm on the same OCD level, just didnt know where to start. After seeing all undersides of the west coast and southern jeeps I get a lil envious. I have done a lil googling on rust removal and found mixed ideals. I'll try this method for sure. Had a buddy laugh at me and say "that isn't a lot of rust"-It is too much for me though, so thanks.

xkid

You have to spray the snot out of it with some kind of oil.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JLSilerJK

Krylon rust protector converting primer or rust tough fix.

Were you able to find this around town or did you get it online? I've been to 5 places and no one has heard of it. If you think it helps I'll get it online.

Also a new find on the frankenjeep-18 inch wheels on the ground but a 16 inch wheel on the spare.:thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
Were you able to find this around town or did you get it online? I've been to 5 places and no one has heard of it. If you think it helps I'll get it online.

Also a new find on the frankenjeep-18 inch wheels on the ground but a 16 inch wheel on the spare.:thinking:

I found it at ACE Hardware

JLSilerJK

I found it at ACE Hardware

Dang, thats where I went today. Guy looked it up and said he's never heard of it. They had a bunch of krylon just not the rust tough fix or any type of rust converter period. Bogus that the heavily salted chicago area people arent being told about this stuff.

Top Bottom