Steering box replacement question - Need alignment?

dsword

I just replaced the steering box and was careful to not move the steering wheel (Haynes manual instructions) and put the pitman armback back on without moving the wheels. Everything looks to be centered properly.

The manual doesn't say anything about having the front end aligned, but a mechanic friend of mine said I should get that done. I'm not sure why, since I didn;t change anything relative to the geometry of the wheels and suspension...?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I just replaced the steering box and was careful to not move the steering wheel (Haynes manual instructions) and put the pitman armback back on without moving the wheels. Everything looks to be centered properly.

The manual doesn't say anything about having the front end aligned, but a mechanic friend of mine said I should get that done. I'm not sure why, since I didn;t change anything relative to the geometry of the wheels and suspension...?

Any advice would be appreciated!

As long as your steering wheel is centered and you did get the pitman arm in the same spot ( I believe they are clocked in such a way that it will only go on one way) then you should be fine without an alignment.

dsword

As long as your steering wheel is centered and you did get the pitman arm in the same spot ( I believe they are clocked in such a way that it will only go on one way) then you should be fine without an alignment.

Thanks!

The steering wheel is off just a smidge to the right. If I remember right, there is an adjuster on top of the steering box for that, right?

Thanks!

The steering wheel is off just a smidge to the right. If I remember right, there is an adjuster on top of the steering box for that, right?

NO!!! Don't mess with that adjuster, lol. The adjustment for the steering wheel is very simple, you simply adjust the drag link.

Top Bottom