Dry Rotted, Cracking Valve Stems

jesse3638

Hooked
I have a set of Raceline Monsters on my JKUR and last weekend while airing up I noticed my valve stems have begun to crack. I plan on replacing them to prevent getting a flat. The questions I have are: Can they be replaced with out taking the tire off the rim? Is this something I can do myself? As they are bead locks most shops won't want to unmount then remount the tires. The local shop I inquired with to mount my tires originally wanted $25 a tire to do so and I don't want to spend upwards of $125 to replace my valve stems. Thanks for the help!

Edit: These are traditional rubber valve stems not TPMS stems.

Last edited:

JKWrang

I am pretty sure you have to break the bead to do so, not take the whole tire off the rim, but at least break the bead.

jesse3638

Hooked
I am pretty sure you have to break the bead to do so, not take the whole tire off the rim, but at least break the bead.

That's what I'm thinking but I'm hoping not, as thats going to be a time consuming process on beadlocks..haha

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I bought a big bag of valve stems on Amazon. I also have two valve stem tools. A flexible one, I guess similar to the evo one. They sell them at tractor supply and a solid one. The flexible one is actually pretty handy, has a core remover, deflator and probably easier if you had to do a trail fix. I also have a solid bar one. Both work great. Here is the sold one. And my other one is in my jeep, but here's a Google picture of what it looks like. Probably around 5 bucks each online.

Attachments

• 1411516247690.jpg
    1411516247690.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 59
  • 1411516366591.jpg
    1411516366591.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 59

jesse3638

Hooked
I bought a big bag of valve stems on Amazon. I also have two valve stem tools. A flexible one, I guess similar to the evo one. They sell them at tractor supply and a solid one. The flexible one is actually pretty handy, has a core remover, deflator and probably easier if you had to do a trail fix. I also have a solid bar one. Both work great. Here is the sold one. And my other one is in my jeep, but here's a Google picture of what it looks like. Probably around 5 bucks each online.

My dad has one of these and I used to use it to straighten my valve stem on my bike tubes. I have all his old tools I'm gonna have to go look for it. Hopefully I didn't lose it when I was a kid.

Yeah I have seen this write up but forgot about it. I also received an email from Raceline and they said I can break the rear bead and replace it that way so I don't have to break down the whole tire. Thanks for the help...:D

Looney Tune

I have a tool that I rigged with co2.. blows the new valve stem right in..never even have to take tire off vehicle. .or break bead...and yes.. I have used it on trail ..a few times..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Looney Tune

I have a tool that I rigged with co2.. blows the new valve stem right in..never even have to take tire off vehicle. .or break bead...and yes.. I have used it on trail ..a few times..

1411573186604.jpg

Top Bottom