99' Sahara

Howlie

Hey guys looking at picking up a 99' Sahara 4.0 with auto trans, any issue with these? This will be a weekend toy for me, guy I asking 7500 for it? I have driven a 97 sport 2.5L manual for a while and it was ok but it was nothing like my 93 YJ 4.0l auto trans, so looking for something similar but with the new suspension set up, any advice?

Moabbnd

They're good jeeps. the Auto is a 3 speed, so dont expect good mpg. Check to see if there is a dana 44 in the rear and also see if the diff tag shows 3.73 and not 3.07

Yorkie

They're good jeeps. the Auto is a 3 speed, so dont expect good mpg. Check to see if there is a dana 44 in the rear and also see if the diff tag shows 3.73 and not 3.07

x2 on checking for the rear diff. Neglected this when I bought my 99 sahara and after realized it has the d35. Luckily with 3.73 gears

Howlie

Man just not sure I keep finding myself looking on Craigslist at old YJ'S I really loved that jeep she never let me down despite everything I put her thru she just would not quit! So I have a 10 k budget to work with and I can find some nice YJ's in that price range and still have some extra $$ to do some upgrades and having a hard time even finding a 4.0 / auto TJ that does not break the bank, the Sahara I am looking at is 8k but seller is kinda slow getting info from so i dont know??? Should I just keep looking and waiting for a TJ or pick up a YJ? Wife says she don't care as long as it's an auto so she can drive it haha.... My cousin has a 98 2.5 stick on 31's that I use when I need my jeep fix right now haha and he keeps telling you get use to not having power, but I know I want to go with bigger tires than 31's and I really would like to be able to stay up with traffic when traveling haha and not doing 35mph going up hill. Some people say wait till winter to look I can find better deals, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Moabbnd

In CA, the winter does have better deals on clist. You can find TJ's built in nice shape for less than 10k. IMO, the TJ is a better option than the YJ. Rides better, easier to build and has more creature comforts

pvanweelden

Definitely hold out for a 4.0 tj. The dana 44 would be icing on the cake, but rare in the 97-02 models. The 03-06 LJ's all came with a Dana 44 and 3.73, but it was a buyer option on tj's. A ford 8.8 with disc is an easy swap in or 44's can be found - 03 or newer will have rear disc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Howlie

Ok so sahara guy was a flake big time, but I found this 2001 4.0 / auto sport it's in Medford or and I am in Central Ca but my dad is in Medford so that's not a big issue for me, jeep looks clean but has 200k and I have talked to the guy on the phone and he said he got the jeep with less than 5k miles on it when he got it the lift was already installed with 33 inch tires but not what lift or anything else and he was able to tell me what he had done and when and where he took it, sounds like he took care of it but you never know, guy says he races bikes so he travels a lot and it pulls his trailer on the freeway with no issues, guy is asking $7600 what do you think good base to start with? Mileage is a little high but if it's free way ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412183784.994411.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412183821.414745.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412183802.327019.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412183802.327019.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

BlackBandit

I got a tj rubicon 04 for 6k at a dealership. It had its problems but nothing huge it was drivable. It only had 115k kms on it. All these guys you seem to be talkn to are rip off artist, I did get somewhat lucky with the price but still you should be able to get somthinv like mine in the 7500 $ price range

BlackBandit

Try a dealership, there alot of sentimental value in jeeps. people get attached to their jeep because its more than a jeep to them, its a wayalife ; p

A lot of people where giving me those dumb prices when I was lookn fof my jeep. They definitly hold thier value just not as much as people think they do....

Top Bottom