D ring receiver hitch question

chipper

I'm trying to get a recovery bag together, I have purchased the ARB premium kit, and now I need the D ring receiver hitch. Seems like a easy purchase. But when I went to tractor supply they had a hitch that had the receiver pin to where the D ring would go side to side, and not hang down like most hitches.
This made me start to question what I should get. I have found only one hitch that offered a multi point pin/ locations to rotate the shackle horizontal or vertically
, ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411918164.400974.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411918222.420009.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411918286.536097.jpg

Am I over thinking this?
Does it matter which way the D ring is?

I have only been a bystander when it comes to getting someone unstuck.
If it doesn't matter, is there a good one I should get? I have also been looking at the Factor 55 one.
Thanks in advance

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
are you going to drive around with it on? or keep it in the recovery bag and just use it when needed?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Probably keep it in my recovery bag. I don't want it to get stolen

oh, then either way should work the same. how much was the one at tractor supply? crown has a nice one for around 25 bucks if you shop around.

chipper

Pretty sure it was $34. I just wasn't sure if the angle of the D ring became a factor in the recovery. Like a side pull or a up or down pull. I also plan on getting the Evo rear d ring brackets. But also wanted one of these till I do.

Serg5000

The angle of the d-ring doesn't matter. The d-ring or hook will pivot where it needs to be in any case.

Gmwelder86

Angle of the shackle does matter as you increase the angle as in side loading the shackle the acceptable weight it can hold is greatly reduced. Still less than your average jeep but add stuck weight or trying to bump someone out of a mud pit and you could be looking at a few pounds going through your windshield

http://www.lift-it.com/info_shackle_warning.asp

Some good info on shackle saftey

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Angle of the shackle does matter as you increase the angle as in side loading the shackle the acceptable weight it can hold is greatly reduced. Still less than your average jeep but add stuck weight or trying to bump someone out of a mud pit and you could be looking at a few pounds going through your windshield

http://www.lift-it.com/info_shackle_warning.asp

Some good info on shackle saftey

Welcome to Wayalife!

Wizard

I'm sure the single position hitch receiver would be fine for most, but if you can get the twin position one for a similar price and with the same rating, it would be well worth getting.

Armydog

good information in general. a quality shackle and a quality receiver and I would challenge most people to try and break it. not likely with the average stuck jeep size vehicle. now if you try to snatch with a static line.....that might be another issue. if your gonna snatch someone, use a kinetic line designed for that type of recovery.... other than that, I don't think you are going to break a good shackle free and put it through anyone's windshield or head.

just my 2 cents.:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom