Truck Lites vs. JW Speaker

t8er

Ok. So I am debating on upgrading my headlights and fog lights. I know the Trucklites are very popular on here. I have a friend out here in CO who has the JW Speakers. I'm curious as to pro's and con's from those with them. Especially if you've had both on your rig.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Might want to hold out a little longer to see if the Trucklites heated light hits the 12 volt market soon.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
this^^^ the heated version would be ideal for you living in colorado. for that reason i would hold off a little.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I just put in the JW speakers, and they are great. I haven't taken a long trip at night to really feel if they get hot enough to melt ice or not. I've heard that they do, but I can't confirm it yet. Otherwise, they are great LEDs. If you want to come check them out, feel free to PM me.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok. So I am debating on upgrading my headlights and fog lights. I know the Trucklites are very popular on here. I have a friend out here in CO who has the JW Speakers. I'm curious as to pro's and con's from those with them. Especially if you've had both on your rig.

Put simply, the TLs put out more light, the JWs are slightly better controlled. JWs look great, TLs have a more classic look. Neither are currently heated and people in heavy snow climates have complained about snow buildup....let me rephrase....people in snow/bitter cold climates complained (MN, AK, MT, etc). HID projectors would give you all 3 (best output, good looks, and no buildup) but they are more expensive. Off the shelf, IMHO the TLs are the way to go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Both are nice, the truck-lite's are more affordable and they help support this forum. As mentioned, defrosting lights are in the works but I don't think they'll be available anytime soon.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I am in CO too and in general I have no issues with my Truck-lites. If we get a lot of snow there will be some accumulation. I drove from Denver to Glenwood Springs and had to get the ice off once....
Still worth it. So bright and nice at night.
First mod I made.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I am in CO too and in general I have no issues with my Truck-lites. If we get a lot of snow there will be some accumulation. I drove from Denver to Glenwood Springs and had to get the ice off once....
Still worth it. So bright and nice at night.
First mod I made.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

t8er

H8roads and Rancho I may hit you guys up to check out your setups. I'm also debating getting orange covers for my Rigid's since according to a friend from DCSO as long as I use those and keep my headlights off I'd be legal in a heavy snowstorm. I know for sure from what I've read on TL's get the anti-flicker harness. Thank you guys for your responses.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
I am around!!!! Feel free to message me and we can meet up.
:beer:

H8roads and Rancho I may hit you guys up to check out your setups. I'm also debating getting orange covers for my Rigid's since according to a friend from DCSO as long as I use those and keep my headlights off I'd be legal in a heavy snowstorm. I know for sure from what I've read on TL's get the anti-flicker harness. Thank you guys for your responses.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run with both HID and truck-lite LED and the LEDs are much better lighting wise. Can't say for performance in the snow or cold yet, but will be testing them once the snow starts to hit Tahoe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

When the snow is heavy and wet, it'll build up on the lights a bit - kind of creates a thin skin of ice. Not enough to stop illumination but enough to dim it a bit. Having said that, it's not enough to make me worry about it or keep me from running them. The benefit of Truck-Lite LED's all year long far out weighs this slight issue.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been in freezing wet/snow conditions in various states and having stock or the TL's I now have made no difference, the snow would cake up and freeze.

Even long ago before LED's (and cell phones) :icon_crazy: I'd still have to stop on occasion and clear the slush off the headlamps.

Top Bottom