What size measures closest to 35?

cmireles

If I were to want, say, a 35 inch trail grappler, and want it to be a true 35 (or as close as possible to) inches, would this be the 315/70/17? Or how does this work?

pvanweelden

assuming you mean you want it to measure 35" after being mounted on a rim and on your jeep? If so, you might want to look for a 36" or 37". very few 35's will be 35" after mounted. i have 315's that are 34.5" on a stock rim (narrow rim means it will stand taller but not be as wide)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yes 315's will be your best option when looking to stay closest to a true 35. when i had my 315/75r16's they measured around 34.25 when mounted and at 28 psi.

true but I asked because I am aware that the 35x12.5 actually measures closer to 33ish inches. 315 looks to be the best option?

I'm not a metric guru but just 315 might not yield you what you seek. the second number in metric also effects the height.

Just a pasted blurb:

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

cmireles

assuming you mean you want it to measure 35" after being mounted on a rim and on your jeep? If so, you might want to look for a 36" or 37". very few 35's will be 35" after mounted. i have 315's that are 34.5" on a stock rim (narrow rim means it will stand taller but not be as wide)

My plan is to run on a 17x9 with 3.5bs with cut fenders and no lift. Would anyone recommend the 37x12.5 in this situation?

pvanweelden

^ no, but 315/70 r17 will do just fine at stock height and trimmed fenders- add a 1.5" bumpstop to the rear, and throw a spacer in the front if you need a little extra height after a bumper/winch.

HILLZ

I'm not a metric guru but just 315 might not yield you what you seek. the second number in metric also effects the height.

Just a pasted blurb:

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

Damn Branman, that made my head hurt and I'm in Australia and we mainly use the metric system for tyres or tires as you guys call em :cheesy:

315 will measure bigger then a 35, yes.

Not neccesarily true. Depends on brand.

^^^^^^ this!

Top Bottom