Driveshaft boot

Finn Sizzle

I ripped my rear driveshaft boot on the trail when a rock careened off my evap skid plate. I was able to duct tape it back together while on the trail to keep the dirt and debris out and then cut it out for the highway drive home (so it did not flap around and cause other damage).

When I go to replace it with a new boot, do I need to do some cleanup or greasing of the driveshaft before I replace the boot?

If there are write ups or details on OEM JK driveshaft maintenance, that would be great.

Thanks folks

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

MTG

Caught the Bug
I assume you are talking about the factory DS. A repair kit is not something you can buy from the dealer, or at least you didn't used to be able to. However, I believe there is a company that now sells a new boot. That said, it might be cheaper and easier to just find someone selling a take off DS. Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Crown now sells a kit that will allow you to replace the slip boot. I would definitely take the shaft apart and clean it thoroughly and re-grease it during the repair process.

ScubaSteve

I ripped my rear driveshaft boot on the trail when a rock careened off my evap skid plate. I was able to duct tape it back together while on the trail to keep the dirt and debris out and then cut it out for the highway drive home (so it did not flap around and cause other damage).

When I go to replace it with a new boot, do I need to do some cleanup or greasing of the driveshaft before I replace the boot?

If there are write ups or details on OEM JK driveshaft maintenance, that would be great.

Thanks folks

TK5337

If you have a 4 door I have a stock driveshaft sitting in downtown San Diego that I would let go for cheap.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Thanks folks

TK5337

If you have a 4 door I have a stock driveshaft sitting in downtown San Diego that I would let go for cheap.

Buy that as a spare. There is no point in replacing the boot as it will probably tear again.

Finn Sizzle

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Yes, it is the factory DS. I did speak to my local Jeep dealer/parts department. According to them, the part number is 68222873AA and they have a cost of $58 retail, $46 wholesale. Looking online there are a few places in the low $30, so online it will be. I may get a couple as spares until I go the route of replacing my DS altogether.

You guys mention a kit? What would the kit consist of? I was thinking it was just the boot itself I need to replace. Are there other components, perhaps internal, that I lost when I tore the boot? I was thinking that I would just disconnect the DS from the rear axle and clean it out and put the new boot on. Am I missing something and it would not be as simple as that? Is there a specific grease I should reapply to that area of the shaft?

Appreciate the info guys, thanks!

TK5337

thadeus618

Right Part

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Yes, it is the factory DS. I did speak to my local Jeep dealer/parts department. According to them, the part number is 68222873AA and they have a cost of $58 retail, $46 wholesale. Looking online there are a few places in the low $30, so online it will be. I may get a couple as spares until I go the route of replacing my DS altogether.

You guys mention a kit? What would the kit consist of? I was thinking it was just the boot itself I need to replace. Are there other components, perhaps internal, that I lost when I tore the boot? I was thinking that I would just disconnect the DS from the rear axle and clean it out and put the new boot on. Am I missing something and it would not be as simple as that? Is there a specific grease I should reapply to that area of the shaft?

Appreciate the info guys, thanks!

TK5337

I just received the part you mentioned and it appears to be the exact one I needed. I haven't installed it yet but it looks just right. The package came with 2 packets of lube, 2 stock clamps, the boot, and 2 bushings I have no idea what they do yet. I attached a picture of them to see if anyone knows what they do. I payed $34.38 plus $15 for shipping.

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 57

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These are transfer case shifter cable bushings. They are the pieces that normally break and prevent you from shifting in and out of 4WD.

Top Bottom