Help needed

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
So i ran into some issues trying to install the EVO HD Swaybar links in the front. the stock holes are too small so i am going to need to drill them out just a hair to where i can fit the new links in, but in order to do this i need to remove the tires. the problem is, i live in a small apartment complex and its only street parking, so i don' feel comfortable putting my jeep on jacks and working on it in the street (and i don't have jacks) so i am hoping i can meet someone that lives around the LA area that possible has a flat drive way to safely work on the jeep and a free day one weekend? I will bring whatever flavor of buds is your favorite.

Do you have a Dremel with a sanding bit ?
I had to do the same. It's a very small amount. Take small amounts off at a time until the bolt goes through.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Do you have a Dremel with a sanding bit ?
I had to do the same. It's a very small amount. Take small amounts off at a time until the bolt goes through.

yeah i do. that doesn't seem like a bad idea? but i would still need to take my tires off so that im not sanding at an angle.
i was thinking of giving EVO a call and getting the diameter of the bolts and just drilling them out to size. seems like it would be quicker too.

yeah i do. that doesn't seem like a bad idea? but i would still need to take my tires off so that im not sanding at an angle.
i was thinking of giving EVO a call and getting the diameter of the bolts and just drilling them out to size. seems like it would be quicker too.

I believe it's .5"
If you remove both links, you may be able to swing the swaybar up/down to get a better angle at it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I used a drill bit just big enough that it fit in the factory hole then hollowed it out from there. I left my tires on but turned them side to side so I could get my drill in there. The dremel sounds like a better route. Just do little bits at a time till the bolt goes thru

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What stock holes are too small? My EVO links went right in with no issues. Use a pry bar if you have to. I can't imagine it is that far off. :thinking:

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I used a drill bit just big enough that it fit in the factory hole then hollowed it out from there. I left my tires on but turned them side to side so I could get my drill in there. The dremel sounds like a better route. Just do little bits at a time till the bolt goes thru

so you had the same problem? i talked to EVO the other day and they said they never heard of it being a problem before.
thats not a bad idea. i will try turning my wheels to each side this weekend and see if it will work.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
What stock holes are too small? My EVO links went right in with no issues. Use a pry bar if you have to. I can't imagine it is that far off. :thinking:

the holes from the electric sway bar and the holes on each side of the axel. this is for the front. i didn't have any problems with the rear bolts going in. its not far off at all. thats what makes it so frustrating. i don't want to force them in and risk damaging the threads though.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Disconnect your sway bar with the button and the sway bar will swing up far enough.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
First I've heard of this. I'd double check before you start grinding stuff down. :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
the holes from the electric sway bar and the holes on each side of the axel. this is for the front. i didn't have any problems with the rear bolts going in. its not far off at all. thats what makes it so frustrating. i don't want to force them in and risk damaging the threads though.

I have electronic sway bar and EVO end links up front. As I said, zero issues.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412318908.117022.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
so you had the same problem? i talked to EVO the other day and they said they never heard of it being a problem before.
thats not a bad idea. i will try turning my wheels to each side this weekend and see if it will work.

No issues on the axle side it was just the sway bar side. I honestly didn't grind much off at all. If anything it was just paint I cleaned up. When I bought the links I did call drew at evo and he said he never heard of this before either but suggested cleaning it out like I did.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I have electronic sway bar and EVO end links up front. As I said, zero issues.

View attachment 103475

i will see if i can grab a picture tonight. it is just a hair difference to where it wont fit. i have taken off my links on two separate occasions thinking i was just tired the first time i tried it. but nope, second time didn't work either. :doh:

Top Bottom