AEV JK DualSport XT 2.5 inch lift

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'd group these people into 3 categories:

1) guys like myself, Cozdude and NFRs who bought a product as rookies, had nothing else to reference besides economic value, short-sighted needs and marketing voodoo and have realized we made either the wrong choice, have no better comparison and are satisfied or know there is better and feel no need to pretend there isn't.

2) fanboys who refuse to believe there is better and would like a rough country lift and tell eddie it ouflexes, out performs and lasts longer than his DTD for pennies by comparison

3)mall crawlers whose lift does nothing more than look cool, kill gas mileage and cost the owner $700.00+

I have noticed a trend though, especially on WAL, that the guys who didn't listen to the sage advice here and actually wheel once in a while know that there IS better, will recommend better and won't stand by their purchase of lift, especially not while going all fanboy. Guys like me, NFRs and Cozdude :thumb:
Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

yup i will agree. i was a rook and really wanted a lift and was on a budget. looking back on it i should have gone with my gut a saved a little longer and gone with the enfocer lift and after riding in hinrich's jeep it really made it a slap in the face for me. now im rethinking my lift for the THIRD time :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I know this is a brand specific site but I do enjoy the discussions of other brands too.

:cheesy: That's a good one. :cheesy: No, this is not a "brand specific" site (whatever the hell that means anyway.) I'm curious to know what long-arm kit you have have and what specifically do you not like about it. Also, what are the specs on your Jeep (e.g. JK or JKU, what size tire, what size lift, etc.)

Edit: I see you have a 2 door. So, what size tires, how much lift, what brand of lift, and what are your specific complaints?

Last edited:
Jeep is a '13 Rubicon 2dr with Terraflex 4" LCG long arm and Fox resavoir shocks, 37" Nitto tires, beadlock wheels and heavy for a 2dr with bumpers, winch and skid plates. Nice enough Jeep but my old back dislikes the ride quality.

I'm not likely to change lifts again, the Jeep is more than two years old and has only 4,XXX miles on it, I really only use it out west. I would kind of like to sell it though and go a good bit more mild, this thing makes Colorado and Moab almost too easy. All of my past Jeeps made me work harder off-roading which I really enjoyed.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Jeep is a '13 Rubicon 2dr with Terraflex 4" LCG long arm and Fox resavoir shocks, 37" Nitto tires, beadlock wheels and heavy for a 2dr with bumpers, winch and skid plates. Nice enough Jeep but my old back dislikes the ride quality.

I'm not likely to change lifts again, the Jeep is more than two years old and has only 4,XXX miles on it, I really only use it out west. I would kind of like to sell it though and go a good bit more mild, this thing makes Colorado and Moab almost too easy. All of my past Jeeps made me work harder off-roading which I really enjoyed.

Sounds like a killer suspension system..:rolleyes:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Teraflex could tend to be stiff, the fox shocks are more than likely firmer as well.

If you switch these out, your ride will greatly improve

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have no lift as of yet so don't really have anything to actually contribute. What I did want to say is that this forum is more biased towards EVO products but its hard to not be when their products simply work. Everything EVO that I do own is simply badass and I want more of their stuff. Being on a budget I'm looking at just a budget boost (but trying to save my pennies and go with an EVO leveling kit at the least) right now but hope to someday have EVO DTD, EVO Lever in the rear, etc. etc. because it has been proven to work. I'm sure even EVO has their issues but it seems very rare.

This forum is still great though in the fact that they understand not everybody can or wants to build Moby or EVO1 etc. They will try their best to recommend what they think is best and the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately some companies seem to end up getting hated on by forum members because frankly those companies products are junk. I'm sorry but when you see Mel using his products on the trail day after day compared to rarely seeing other companies on trails ever its hard not to say "you know that EVO stuff gets used/abused and keeps asking for more."

I'll gladly run as many EVO products I can cause they seem to work. For being a USA made product I'll gladly spend MAYBE a few dollars more for stuff that works and helps employ a fellow American.

I have no lift as of yet so don't really have anything to actually contribute. What I did want to say is that this forum is more biased towards EVO products but its hard to not be when their products simply work. Everything EVO that I do own is simply badass and I want more of their stuff. Being on a budget I'm looking at just a budget boost (but trying to save my pennies and go with an EVO leveling kit at the least) right now but hope to someday have EVO DTD, EVO Lever in the rear, etc. etc. because it has been proven to work. I'm sure even EVO has their issues but it seems very rare.

This forum is still great though in the fact that they understand not everybody can or wants to build Moby or EVO1 etc. They will try their best to recommend what they think is best and the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately some companies seem to end up getting hated on by forum members because frankly those companies products are junk. I'm sorry but when you see Mel using his products on the trail day after day compared to rarely seeing other companies on trails ever its hard not to say "you know that EVO stuff gets used/abused and keeps asking for more."

I'll gladly run as many EVO products I can cause they seem to work. For being a USA made product I'll gladly spend MAYBE a few dollars more for stuff that works and helps employ a fellow American.

I guess that's what I meant by brand specific. Don't misunderstand though, I'm sure their products are of fine quality and the people who own them are quite satisfied.

I have not really chosen Jeep components by brand but instead chose what the local offroad shops are comfortable and experienced with. My Jeep works perfectly for me, albeit a little too perfectly, just rides a little rough for my taste.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have no lift as of yet so don't really have anything to actually contribute. What I did want to say is that this forum is more biased towards EVO products but its hard to not be when their products simply work....

Plenty of people here run plenty of non-EVO products and they work just fine for those people's needs. When it comes to lifts, however, there is a lot of over-priced and ineffective crap on the market. Many of the companies producing the crap are great at marketing so people get sucked in...often to regret it after the fact (regardless of whether they are willing to admit as much.) At some heights, some kits include a bunch of crap you just don't need (which makes the kits unnecessarily expensive.) At other heights, some kits don't include stuff that is needed (or, worse, they skimp out by coming up with an alternative like cam bolts.)

Bottom line, ride quality is about as subjective as you can get. What some people love, others consider too stiff or too harsh; what other people love, some might consider too soft. That is the nature of the beast.

Ride quality aside though, there are some parts and components out there that simply are not of a build quality that they should be trusted and recommended. That isn't bias, it is fact. Cam bolts, TF LA brackets, TF CA's (unless you feel like rebuilding joints every year), AEV drop brackets...just to name a few.

So, what some people call bias I call fact based on experience.

Last edited:
this is your problem right here lol teraflex and LCG should never be in the same sentence. im sure your 4" coils have you closer to 5"

Actually it ended up at 3.5" over stock in the front, I have heavy bumpers. The LCG is pretty important to me with a two door. I did have to go with flat fenders to ensure no rubbing from the 37s but being this low just feels a bit better offroad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This forum is still great though in the fact that they understand not everybody can or wants to build Moby or EVO1

Just so that there's no confusion, Moby hasn't always been what it is today. If something were to come out that was better than what I have now, don't kid yourself, I would probably want to try it out EVEN IF it weren't made by EVO.

They will try their best to recommend what they think is best and the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately some companies seem to end up getting hated on by forum members because frankly those companies products are junk.

Ummm, to be clear, just because people don't like to hear dissenting opinions regarding certain companies DOESN'T mean those companies are being "hated" on. I for one have person have personally installed and tested a myriad of lift kits and only run what I do now because of what I have learned along the way. And let's be honest here, the experience MOST people have when it comes to lift kits is nothing more than what they have chosen to buy. Just trying to add a little perspective here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually it ended up at 3.5" over stock in the front, I have heavy bumpers. The LCG is pretty important to me with a two door. I did have to go with flat fenders to ensure no rubbing from the 37s but being this low just feels a bit better offroad.

You're sure of this? Exactly how did you get that 3.5" measurement? When I was running the TeraFlex 4" lift on my 4-door JK which weighed a ton even back then, I easily had well over 4" of lift if not more around 5".

You're sure of this? Exactly how did you get that 3.5" measurement? When I was running the TeraFlex 4" lift on my 4-door JK which weighed a ton even back then, I easily had well over 4" of lift if not more around 5".

I've always measured from the drivers door sill, it's easy and constant.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've always measured from the drivers door sill, it's easy and constant.

Easy and constant compared against what? Try measuring again and from the location shown below. This is FACTUAL and KNOWN measurements of a stock JK.

attachment.php

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That's what I was getting at, just came out differently I guess.

I got that, and my post wasn't intended to call you out even though I did quote you. I was just providing some clarification from my perspective because of the number of people who jump on the "this forum only likes EVO" bandwagon without ever considering (1) the empirical evidence is that they are wrong because people on this forum run a variety of stuff; and (2) there is a very legitimate reason why many people call out the quality of some of the other lift kits out there.

I'm at 22 1/4 as measured in the drawing of shock height, that's the drivers side as I can't reach the passenger side without pulling it out in the rain. This Jeep has had three suspensions and three sets of tires, I've kept all of the door sill height measurements for comparison purposes of all the combinations while sitting in the same spot in it's bay. Not much value to the information, I've just always been amazed at how far off advertised lift height is vs reality.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
What actually makes this teraflex 4" lift LCG? Seems more like a marketing scheme to me.
On a side note, since Evo came up, has anyone else seen the elite high clearance set up Mel has been working on? That too me looks like a true lcg build.
And I think he was poking fun when he called it elite. I don't actually know the name if this set up

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at 22 1/4 as measured in the drawing of shock height, that's the drivers side as I can't reach the passenger side without pulling it out in the rain. This Jeep has had three suspensions and three sets of tires, I've kept all of the door sill height measurements for comparison purposes of all the combinations while sitting in the same spot in it's bay. Not much value to the information, I've just always been amazed at how far off advertised lift height is vs reality.

Fair enough. So you're closer to 4" than you thought but not as tall as I what I have seen with my own Jeep. Guess you really are a lot heavier than I was back when I was running their kit. Just out of curiosity, what does your Jeep measure from the ground to the top of your windshield frame?

Top Bottom