LOD Bolt On vs EOV Weld On Rock Sliders

JAGS

Hooked
Now those look sweet. Can they angle down more? I notice they are also bolt on as well? Would like to replace my stockers with something that is also dog friendly.:)

Not sure you'd want them angled any more. My kids use mine everyday. I'm short and use it everyday as well, lol. We love the angle. For wheeling I think if they were flat, you'd get hung up more???

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413130153.043493.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
ORE posted these on fb.
Not saying these are recommend. Just someone came up with this.

Attachments

• 1413131671382.jpg
    1413131671382.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 180

GCM 2

ORE posted these on fb.
Not saying these are recommend. Just someone came up with this.

Ironically, the photo of the item in your post that allows the sliders to bolt to, has to be welded to the frame. So why not just weld the sliders on directly to frame as they are intended :doh:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1413136266.575329.jpg
Bolt on..... This is JKJody's rig. Photo credit: His build thread.

Edit: I do not feel this is a good way to run something that is meant to be welded-on.

SavageMonkey

Absolutely nothing wrong with the LoD sliders, they have always been a great heavy duty choice for those wanting a true step built into a slider, or for those wanting to stick with a "one mfg's parts theme" during their build, since they do make great looking and completely functional heavy duty bumpers too. However, regarding your #2 bullet statement, there is no reason to powder coat EVO's sliders if your budget is tight. Many people just prep, prime and spray paint them at home. Its actually a great option to consider doing yourself since sliders are an intended sacrificial piece of armor on your rig that will become scraped when used in any terrain. Once there is superficial paint damage, you just do the touch ups yourself as a part of regular jeep maintenance.

You guys are killing me with info... I have so much to learn!!! I assumed that the sliders were all powder coated and that was what the norm was. And after looking at local shops the prices are extremely high. Knowing I can just prime and paint changes my view on them. I do like the look of the EVO's better... I was, like you said looking at it from a budget standpoint...

- Does the same hold true with the EVO tire carrier and skins or are they items I should take the extra money to have done right and powder coat?

- In the event I go with the LoD sliders, weld them on and decide to upgrade later; will I be able to easily have them removed? I plan to have my JKU for a long time and I see no reason to repeat unnecessary steps.

- Is there an install vid on the EVO armor and tire carrier in the forum? I looked but I couldn't find any...

- AM I OVER THINKING ALL THIS???

Last edited:

KingCopperhead

You guys are killing me with info... I have so much to learn!!! I assumed that the sliders were all powder coated and that was what the norm was. And after looking at local shops the prices are extremely high. Knowing I can just prime and paint changes my view on them. I do like the look of the EVO's better... I was, like you said looking at it from a budget standpoint...

- Does the same hold true with the EVO tire carrier and skins or are they items I should take the extra money to have done right and powder coat?

- In the event I go with the LoD sliders, weld them on and decide to upgrade later; will I be able to easily have them removed? I plan to have my JKU for a long time and I see no reason to repeat unnecessary steps.

- AM I OVER THINKING ALL THIS???

Not to be one to tell you what to do with your money, but if you're going to wheel your jeep, don't waste hundreds of dollars on a flashy powdercoat job. Believe me. My jk is less than six months old. It is beautiful. And I have rattle can painted sliders and bumper. These parts Will get scratched. As will your undercarriage. Pick a brand of spray paint that you like and keep it handy. Repainting scratched up parts should be part of your post trail ride ritual. Especially if you live on the east coast with all the salt on the roads.

Not sure about the rear corner skins, but the rocker skins came powdercoated.

NO you are not over thinking this. These jeep parts are not cheap. Plan, plan again, consider your use, also consider future mods. Then execute. Do it once, do it right. That's why these forums are here.

KingCopperhead

Oh just checked out your profile, you're from Albany! I'm from syracuse.

Definitely make friends with spray paint. You don't want to let that jeep rust out.

Off topic btw, but cnyjeep (my local club) is going to rausch on Nov 8th. You're welcome to join if you'd like. We will be running blues and blacks.

bkac

Caught the Bug
If you like the look of Evo then don't think twice about any other product because you will regret your decision and I always wish you bought it. I'm speaking from experience do it once and do it right and you'll be happy. All my stuff came powder-coated including my quarter pounder front bumper but I still have to spray paint everything every time I wheel. If you like the looks of Evo then go Evo you will be so happy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

SavageMonkey

Oh just checked out your profile, you're from Albany! I'm from syracuse.

Definitely make friends with spray paint. You don't want to let that jeep rust out.

Off topic btw, but cnyjeep (my local club) is going to rausch on Nov 8th. You're welcome to join if you'd like. We will be running blues and blacks.

I run with Capital District Jeep Wrangler. They went to Rausch last Saturday. I was unable to go to that trip but we are heading to Mettowee Off Road Park in Glens Falls just North of Saratoga on the 25th and a 101 trail cleanup on the 26th.

I would definitely head down but am working back to back 16 hour shifts Sunday and Monday but will take you up another time. I go out that way for training at The State Preparedness Training Center in Oriskany quite a bit. Maybe we can bring the clubs together and do some trails out your way or you guys could come here... Let me know!

KingCopperhead

I run with Capital District Jeep Wrangler. They went to Rausch last Saturday. I was unable to go to that trip but we are heading to Mettowee Off Road Park in Glens Falls just North of Saratoga on the 25th and a 101 trail cleanup on the 26th.

I would definitely head down but am working back to back 16 hour shifts Sunday and Monday but will take you up another time. I go out that way for training at The State Preparedness Training Center in Oriskany quite a bit. Maybe we can bring the clubs together and do some trails out your way or you guys could come here... Let me know!

I hear you on the shift work. I normally work weekends period lol I have to use vacation time if I want to go wheel! There is just about nothing for legal trails near syracuse. We mostly trek it down to pa or whispering pines near Rochester. I'm sure we can get a run going sometime though!

GCM 2

......Not sure about the rear corner skins, but the rocker skins came powdercoated.

Rear armor comes standard unfinished, although I did have mine powder coated, the rear quarters have been touched up with satin rustoleum spray paint, just like my rock sliders. I have even used a black Sharpie permanent marker to color in small scratches on my EVO armor and my ATX Slabs while detailing.

IMG_0741.jpg

KingCopperhead

I hate you guys... Well, my bank account hates you guys! :crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

Rear armor comes standard unfinished, although I did have mine powder coated, the rear quarters have been touched up with satin rustoleum spray paint, just like my rock sliders. I have even used a black Sharpie permanent marker to color in small scratches on my EVO armor and my ATX Slabs while detailing.

View attachment 105348

That's how I feel when I see gcm2's rig :)

SavageMonkey

I hear you on the shift work. I normally work weekends period lol I have to use vacation time if I want to go wheel! There is just about nothing for legal trails near syracuse. We mostly trek it down to pa or whispering pines near Rochester. I'm sure we can get a run going sometime though!

Yea... Shift work sucks but I get ample time off. I work a 2 on 4 off schedule. So I'm free most weekends... We can hook something up soon...

Top Bottom