Jeep JK Wrangler Grade 8 Replacement Bolts - Do I Really Need Them?

JKbrick

Ok after reading all this, I admit to buying into the grade 8 craze. That being said my build is still pending completion. I have these bolts in place but have not tightened them yet. Would you guys recommend actually removing them in favor of the stock bolts or since they are there now would you tighten them and rock n roll?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also did this before I found the WAYALIFE but like stated, they don't hurt anything, it was just $45 bucks I wasted. Damn you Northridge

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

xman4602

I also did this before I found the WAYALIFE but like stated, they don't hurt anything, it was just $45 bucks I wasted. Damn you Northridge

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Meh. Can't blame Northridge really. They marketed it well to those of us that don't know better. I fell for it twice. Put them on my two door as well.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Calico Jack

Thanks

This forum has literally saved me money, the wisdom and jeep knowledge i find here on a daily basis is awesome! I know this is a older post but it was relevant to me as I was recently told by another jeeper that I should upgrade my bolts.

Alexander

Still not convinced? Let's take a closer look at how things work. When you look at the bushing of your track bar or control arms, the metal piece in the middle where your bolt will go through is called a "crush sleeve". AS IN, it's designed to get pushed really really hard from either end. The purpose of your bolts and nuts is to provide "compression" and cause your mounts to act like a vice by clamping down really really hard on the crush sleeve. The crush sleeves is NOT supposed to rotate AT ALL when installed correctly but rather, the bonded rubber bushing will twist around it. Of course, if you have a polyurethane bushing, heim or other aftermarket joint, the bushing will rotate around the sleeve or misalignment spacers - again, there is NO movement around the bolt and therefore, shouldered bolts are NOT necessary. This is the reason why bolts are rated for "torque" and NOT "sheer" - the value of compression strength is all that is necessary to hold things together. Don't believe me? Place a pencil between your index finger and thumb and hold it in the air. Why doesn't the pencil fall? I mean, there's no bolt going though your finger and thumb to hold it in place. Pinch it harder and it will even take effort to move the pencil around. Imagine that - compression alone made that possible. :crazyeyes:

If you really want to spend money on your Jeep, invest in a good torque wrench and use it as a part of regular maintenance. :yup:

I'm new here. But here's what I'll say: the brace where trackbar attached to the front axle has a hole for an inch bolt. And the fact that the metric bolt is used there leads to the fact that the hole will break and turn into an oval. That all leads to a shimmy.
maxresdefault.jpg
My opinion is: You can tighten and tighten the bolt from time to time. Or you can just change it to the correct one.
P.S. Sorry for my English.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm new here. But here's what I'll say: the brace where trackbar attached to the front axle has a hole for an inch bolt. And the fact that the metric bolt is used there leads to the fact that the hole will break and turn into an oval. That all leads to a shimmy.
View attachment 256906
My opinion is: You can tighten and tighten the bolt from time to time. Or you can just change it to the correct one.
P.S. Sorry for my English.

Can I have your factory bolts then please?

The factory bolts are perfect. If you keep it torqued like your supposed to then the hole will never oval. It only ovals from not being at the right spec. And if it does, weld a washer on the hole and bring it back to size.

Alexander

Can I have your factory bolts then please?
No bolts. Only one bolt yet. From trackbar.
The factory bolts are perfect. If you keep it torqued like your supposed to then the hole will never oval. It only ovals from not being at the right spec. And if it does, weld a washer on the hole and bring it back to size.
I just put the proper inch bolt after that and have no issues now. With hard torque you just mask the engineering miscalculation. It is better when you have well tightened PROPER bolt. IMHO.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I just put the proper inch bolt after that and have no issues now. With hard torque you just mask the engineering miscalculation. It is better when you have well tightened PROPER bolt. IMHO.

Fine can I have your trackbar bolt then.

If a grade 8 bolt is the "proper" bolt than why didn't mopar have the Jeep come with it from factory then? Also why didnt the Jeep come with an inch bolt either than? factory spec is 125ft/lbs. that's plenty tight

WJCO

Meme King
Damn those engineers! What were they thinking? Our JK must also be an exception to the poor engineering, it's nearing 170k with a perfectly round hole. I may write them a letter....

Alexander

If a grade 8 bolt is the "proper" bolt than why didn't mopar have the Jeep come with it from factory then? Also why didnt the Jeep come with an inch bolt either than? factory spec is 125ft/lbs. that's plenty tight

I made some photos for you.
Factory bolt:
IMG_1850.jpg IMG_1853.jpg
The inch hard mark of steel bolt that turner made for me. It's hard to find an inch bolt here.
IMG_1843.jpg IMG_1848.jpg IMG_1846.jpg
Dark photos because it is midnight on Sakhalin now.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Yeah Chrysler engineers really fucked up. They have only produced a million and a half JK's over the years but somehow, some business, (in the business of sales and making money) said that the bolt size is wrong, and idiots like yourself buy into it.

Andy5160

Hooked

Steve,

Don't get the bolt from Russia
Shipping cost will be similar to your new STT's :) :)

Alexander

Yeah Chrysler engineers really fucked up. They have only produced a million and a half JK's over the years but somehow, some business, (in the business of sales and making money) said that the bolt size is wrong, and idiots like yourself buy into it.

Anybody can make a mistake. Even a Chrysler engineers (or other guys in Chrysler):))) For example: casting sand in cooling system of my JK. What is it? A mistake of course.
Most of you have no problems with bolts. Good for you. But I have. There may be a reason in bad Russian roads. Maybe someone has not screwed the bolt well enough. In any case, I do not force you to agree with me. This is just my point of view.

Alexander

Steave, about your questions: I don't know. Really, why don't they use inch bolts? It costs nothing to them, it should be even better. May be you know?

Top Bottom