Splicing Synthetic Winch line

I recently unspooled my winch line to repaint my winch. I thought I would inspect it before re-spooling. It had been sitting on the garage floor for awhile and had had a chance to "swell" as it wasn't compressed on the spool. Upon inspection tonight, I noticed a significant cut at the 66' mark. I really don't want to cut it down by 30 feet.

Here is my question, how many have "spliced" their line and FEEL COMFORTABLE about the splice? Here is a sample video of how to do the splice http://www.krissplicing.com/repairing-your-winch-line.php

I vote no, lol. That's an awful lot of trust that I don't have. I'd rather replace it if for no other reason than piece of mind.

Well if you can splice line or know a Bos'n Mate then I would. Navy ships for years have spliced lines for mooring ships to the pier. In fact your current line has what is called an eye splice for the hook and a metal insert. I am not 100% but believe it is done by a machine during the manufacturing process.

The big question is, are you willing to bet your life or you buddies life on that sliced line? If it were me I would just get a new line and call it a day knowing there is no cut or chance of the slice failing.

R/
Will

pvanweelden

I've spliced mine. Yes I was leary of it until I tested it and watched that the rope actually tightens up upon itself like a Chinese fingertrap.
Synthetic line will break, especially when used over rocks. I made a needle that I carry in my jeep for trail fixes.
Viking sells a repair kit with 2 needles.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

CZEBJKU

^ This. I have spliced many synthetic ropes. If done CORRECTLY they are just as strong as non spliced. Whether you want to trust it or not is up to you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if i knew how to splice line i would only use it to get me off the trail if it broke that day. once homew i would replace it. just my :twocents:

if i knew how to splice line i would only use it to get me off the trail if it broke that day. once homew i would replace it. just my :twocents:

Just watch the video's and you will see how to do it.

I agree, splicing to get off the trail and then replace when I get home.

R/
Will

2013CGJKU

Just watch the video's and you will see how to do it.

I agree, splicing to get off the trail and then replace when I get home.

R/
Will

Come on Canvas. You're a Navy man. Haha!

A properly spliced line is just as strong as it ever was. The splice is usually the strongest point afterwards. I've broken and spliced and broken again many lines and they never rebroke at the splice.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable but I wouldn't be buying new synthetic line when I can just splice it back together. I mean, there is a point where enough is enough... but I wouldn't be wasting my money.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Come on Canvas. You're a Navy man. Haha!

A properly spliced line is just as strong as it ever was. The splice is usually the strongest point afterwards. I've broken and spliced and broken again many lines and they never rebroke at the splice.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable but I wouldn't be buying new synthetic line when I can just splice it back together. I mean, there is a point where enough is enough... but I wouldn't be wasting my money.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Levi you are correct, I was a Navy man but on the aviation side. We always erred on the side of caution.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good info and opinions. I'm thinking I will splice it in and paint that section. It will be at the back of the line and I will Try to never unspool "unless" absolutely needed. When cash permits, I'll put a new line on.

2013CGJKU

Levi you are correct, I was a Navy man but on the aviation side. We always erred on the side of caution.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oh... that makes more sense now. We did things a little more roughneck below the flight deck. (BUD/s dud turned deck seaman on the Vinson with a 93 asvab here... Needless to say, I did my time like a jail sentence and ran as soon as they gave me the chance.)

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Oh... that makes more sense now. We did things a little more roughneck below the flight deck. (BUD/s dud turned deck seaman on the Vinson with a 93 asvab here... Needless to say, I did my time like a jail sentence and ran as soon as they gave me the chance.)

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Well it took me 26 years to finally walk away. Now I work for a company that is a contractor for the Navy doing what I did in the Navy. :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Hooked
Well it took me 26 years to finally walk away. Now I work for a company that is a contractor for the Navy doing what I did in the Navy. :crazyeyes:

You're probably making more $$$ now too as a contracted company/worker. :crazyeyes:

2013CGJKU

Not really since momma is not working and focussing on her disertation. soon though should have a little extra coin for Canvas. :yup:

Yeah, if you were in for 26 years you were probably making pretty good money. A lot of times you get out change clothes quit shaving and make more money doing the same exact job for the same exact people though! Haha!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

If done correctly splicing any hollow core braided line is a 100% connection.

As branman said if done correctly it's 100% safe. We use it in skydiving/BASE jumping all the time. It's actually how we are attached to our canopies (for those lack of trust people). If you have some tack cord or wax cord you can run a few stitches through the splice as a "anchor" for the noose. As the line tensions it will pull against itself.

As branman said if done correctly it's 100% safe. We use it in skydiving/BASE jumping all the time. It's actually how we are attached to our canopies (for those lack of trust people). If you have some tack cord or wax cord you can run a few stitches through the splice as a "anchor" for the noose. As the line tensions it will pull against itself.

Good to know. That extra little bit is what was missing in my mind.

jeeeep

Hooked
Good info and opinions. I'm thinking I will splice it in and paint that section. It will be at the back of the line and I will Try to never unspool "unless" absolutely needed. When cash permits, I'll put a new line on.

get some nylon rope from ACE Hardware to practice with, they sell various thicknesses pretty inexpensive and good to practice on.

I wouldn't paint the line, some paints have additives that will actually weaken the line. contact the manufacturer and ask to be sure.

I've been told to use duct tape on the section that starts the spool because it winds up on the "hot" side of the winch, that may be a better option versus painting.

Top Bottom