Terra Grappler, used; your opinions please

JLSilerJK

I'm gearing up for my first winter with the daily driver 2dr JK; current one way trip to work is .4 miles:rock: I have 255/70R18 with the longer rubicon coil so there is a large gap between the 255's and the fenders... The other day I Saw a huge gash in my tire first time noticing it after getting them balanced. Since then I've been mildy researching tires. Ofcourse falling in love with 35's. Today I found 4 used terra grapplers 285/65R18. Are those cosidered 33's?

The guy used the Nittos as a winter tire (probably 20,000 miles). no offroad use. says they still have great tread. he is checking manufacture date when he gets home.

any experiences buying used tires? What should I be on the lookout for if I go check em out? Should I pay the asking price or do I get to play with numbers?

How did your terra grapplers do for you? Good in snow? I've only been on sand and seasonal roads but want to start doing trails also.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I always consider buying used tires as buying someone else's problem. That being said, if you want them, price the exact same tire new. Compare the tread depth to new and consider their value from that point. Don't touch them if they're 5+ years old. One thing to think about when negotiating price is that you'll still have to pay to have them mounted.

JKWrang

If you want 35s go with 35s. Dont be like me and go "close enough". Youll upgrade 6 monghs later just like i did

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

X2 on buying someone elses problem.

X2 on going with 35's from the get go. I had 33's and wished they were 35's. Now I have 35's and love them.

R/
Will

JKWrang

X2 on buying someone elses problem.

X2 on going with 35's from the get go. I had 33's and wished they were 35's. Now I have 35's and will upgrade to 37s. Its a vicious cycle.

R/
Will

Fixed it for ya! :cheesy:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Yes you did. Funny you say that but I am looking at 37's as part of my final build or even 40's. Need to convice SWMBO.

If you look at my old posts I was saying things like "yea guys... im probably just gonna go with a BB and 33s on stock rubi wheels...."

And now I have 35s on aftermarket rims...

And have already considered 37s for when these 35s wear down..... lol

Its inevitable, man - once you join wayalife your jeeps tires hit the gym lol

If you look at my old posts I was saying things like "yea guys... im probably just gonna go with a BB and 33s on stock rubi wheels...."

And now I have 35s on aftermarket rims...

And have already considered 37s for when these 35s wear down..... lol

Its inevitable, man - once you join wayalife your jeep and tires hit the gym lol

Fixed it for you. :thumb:

Ahh. Much better!

I know Canvas has gotten bigger over the past year and will be growing more. After seeing 1BAJK in person I was like, WHOA that is what Canvas needs to be like. SWMBO is my sounding board and said not so fast. Need to pace it out. We do not have $25K to make it happen at once.:crazyeyes:

JLSilerJK

10 2 002.jpg

This is the reason for being forced into a quick decision. I dont know if I should let it go til it blows or not. I was planning on using the current tires through the winter. I've asked some people and they all say the same thing as you guys; so thanks-get what you want, dont buy used tires unless ya know a little more about them and so on...

Who wants tire envy anyway?

JKWrang

I can't really tell from the pic, but id guess if theres no very thin spot you might could run that. Itd be a close call that you need to see in person.

Did a tire shop give you an opinion?

Annnnd do you have a spare you can run until you cam afford 40s? I mean.... 35s :cheesy:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I really don't see buying used tires as getting someone else's problems. I have purchased used and got a great deal. A lot of owners buy tires and then have size envy and want larger. That is to your advantage. How many people on here have bought used houses, cars, etc. There are great used deals out there you just have to make an educated decision.

JLSilerJK

I can't really tell from the pic, but id guess if theres no very thin spot you might could run that. Itd be a close call that you need to see in person.

Did a tire shop give you an opinion?

Annnnd do you have a spare you can run until you cam afford 40s? I mean.... 35s :cheesy:

the divot goes a lil deeper than the deepest tread groove...

I actually think just tires did it when they balanced it... I've spent a lot of time examining the tires by myself and with friends (when you are running 255's everyone inspects the tires and says go bigger)!

The thing is I have sahara 18r on the 4 tires on the ground and a sport 16r for a spare. they are 255's but a diferent tire. how messed up is that? silly frankenjeep... I need to decide if I want to find a spare 18 wheel so I can get 5 35's or get 4 16 stock wheels... I like how the 18's are painted black so I'd probably do that to 16s.

Is it better to have a smaller wheel for bigger tires?

the divot goes a lil deeper than the deepest tread groove...

I actually think just tires did it when they balanced it... I've spent a lot of time examining the tires by myself and with friends (when you are running 255's everyone inspects the tires and says go bigger)!

The thing is I have sahara 18r on the 4 tires on the ground and a sport 16r for a spare. they are 255's but a diferent tire. how messed up is that? silly frankenjeep... I need to decide if I want to find a spare 18 wheel so I can get 5 35's or get 4 16 stock wheels... I like how the 18's are painted black so I'd probably do that to 16s.

Is it better to have a smaller wheel for bigger tires?

Look for some Rubi take off's and get the 17 inch rim. There are more 17 inch tires out there and seem to be a little better priced.

R/
Will

bkac

Caught the Bug
Good catch, has! Still have, want to get rid of...
Lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Generally speaking the smaller the rim the cheaper the tire.

Top Bottom