Door Hangers - Door Storage

JKRich

I know this topic has been touched on and I am most certainly not the first one to do this, but this worked so well and for less money than most companies wanted that I figured I would share.

I was looking for a solution to door storage as I didn't want my doors just leaning against the wall in my garage as I use the garage as pretty much my main entry everyday; just saw the doors getting kicked or falling over, etc. I had looked online and seen that a lot of guys just use the big hook type things and hang the door by the window opening but also read that this could warp your sills. This led me to stumble upon the products such as the stargae hangers that Q-tec sells for $120 a pop and you need two for a four door. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_5000_07.htm

Rather than spend $240+ dollars I found some eye bolt/screws (N131-193 1/2x4 ZN Screw) and did basically the same thing, but for way cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7BSZRK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No magic. Got the screws, measured off the doors, put them in studs every 16 inches, and hung the doors. By hanging them higher up I can still use the space underneath against the walls and they are hanging by what they were meant to.
Now I just did this yesterday so if I come home to a door on the floor I will let you know :eek:, but three inches of screw into a stud can hold a lot of weight so I am thinking that it should be good. I could have added some 2x4's to increase support and I may do that when I move, but for now I think it came out alright.

IMG_2615.jpg IMG_2618.jpg IMG_2619.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nice! looks good and for a HELL of a lot cheaper. im sure if you switch sides for the doors the could lean flat agaisnt the wall to give you even more walking room

JKRich

Thanks guys! Yeah, there are most likely better variations of this setup, but the issues I ran into are the side mirrors don't allow the front doors to sit flat paint side to the wall and the interior portion of the door is about 3-4 inches thicker at the pivot point than the exterior due to trim etc.
So to overcome either situation you would need to get the eye of the screw further away from the wall and to do that and maintain as much stud penetration as possible you would need longer screws or a board on the wall or something of that nature.

Thanks for checking it out!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
very true didnt think of that. well its still looks really good and something i may consider doing in the near future. its back to doors and top being on for me i think so no point in me doing this now but next summer i may try it

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
May have to try something like this soon, getting tired of seeing my doors sitting in my living room against the wall lol.

Top Bottom