Gas spill at fill-up

The 2011 2-Door I just bought my wife pukes gas every time we fill it up. (Sometimes a little, sometimes a ton.) I have read on some other forums that there is a TSB for this but it appears to only cover 2007-2008 models.

Question 1 is if anyone has more info on this TSB?

Question 2 is if anyone has had success correcting this issue themselves? I would rather not deal with my local dealerships. Especially since the skid plate is pretty dented and I'm sure it will be "our fault" anyway...

My mom's grand Cherokee did the same thing. Ended up being her vent plugged up with about 5 pounds of dust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the TSB done and it fixed my problem. The dealer told me as long as I have no BODY lift or fuel tank mods the extended lifetime warranty wont be voided and as long as I only have factory skid plates and no aftermarket parts hindering the fix that it will be 100% free of charge for the service. The crazy thing is, getting this problem fixed was a HUGE fiasco but not because of my beat to hell skid plate. You can read all about it here.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4727-Got-Gas-Spraying-Out-When-Filling-Up

Long story short, the problem was fixed and I do believe the problem is something to do with the vent tube.

Funny, I was just reading that Eddie.... WOW :naw:

Do you think it would be worth my time to try to straighten the skid? Or should I just take it in as is? I also have an annoying squeak that some wood shims on the top of the tank fixes, but I want to correct it better. I had some loose plans to drop the tank this weekend and poke around. I'm wondering is doing so will shoot myself in the foot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Funny, I was just reading that Eddie.... WOW :naw:

Do you think it would be worth my time to try to straighten the skid? Or should I just take it in as is? I also have an annoying squeak that some wood shims on the top of the tank fixes, but I want to correct it better. I had some loose plans to drop the tank this weekend and poke around. I'm wondering is doing so will shoot myself in the foot.

I don't think it'll make a difference in terms of your dealership but, in doing so, you might find whatever is causing your problem. Perhaps it's just a pinched vent line or something. Either way, dropping your skid isn't too hard so long as your tank is pretty dry. A floor jack will make things a lot easier too.

I don't think it'll make a difference in terms of your dealership but, in doing so, you might find whatever is causing your problem. Perhaps it's just a pinched vent line or something. Either way, dropping your skid isn't too hard so long as your tank is pretty dry. A floor jack will make things a lot easier too.

I think I am going to check this out first. I haven't had the best luck with my local dealerships on my silver Jeep's transmission/clutch issues. I can't imagine this one will go any better. I'm lucky to have a nice shop with a lift and tranny jack so, "it's on" :D.

I'll post up if I find anything...

If anyone has had luck fixing this issue on their own please share your experiences). It's far easier to check a bunch of things in one go :yup:

Doreion

When I took my jeep in for ball joints they fixed this and the hot oil reflash for free. The service adviser mentioned it was a bad check valve in the filler neck that was allowing fuel past when the tank got full. You could try removing the filler neck and trying to pour a liquid from the tank end out the filler end. If it flows through you have a bad check valve. i'll see if anything more was mentioned in the paperwork

p.s. i would use water and make sure I dried the tube out real good instead of trying it with gas.

GetOut

I think I am going to check this out first. I haven't had the best luck with my local dealerships on my silver Jeep's transmission/clutch issues. I can't imagine this one will go any better. I'm lucky to have a nice shop with a lift and tranny jack so, "it's on" :D.

I'll post up if I find anything...

If anyone has had luck fixing this issue on their own please share your experiences). It's far easier to check a bunch of things in one go :yup:

My 2007 had the fuel spit back that turned into a no-fill this summer, royal PITA let me tell you. We are talking 20-30 minutes to fill a tank because it would only take a trickle. Took it to the dealer and they did the filler tube TSB, no questions even though mine is heavily modified, but it didn't fix the problem, still couldn't fill with fuel.

So in my quest to solve the issue I read on various jk specific forums, and some wrangler/jeep reagional boards that some people are finding that the evap system integrity module is getting clogged and causing both no-fill and spit back issues as it is not letting the system vent properly. This module is located on the rear of the evap canister towards the outside of the vehicle. From my understanding, to test if it is bad, remove it, shake it, if you do not hear a rattle, then it is clogged and needs to be replaced. There is a hose and electrical connection that run to it. Sadly, this too was not the root of my problem, but the part number is 04891685AB should you need it. It is easy enough to try and only about $30 if it is the problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...From my understanding, to test if it is bad, remove it, shake it, if you do not hear a rattle, then it is clogged and needs to be replaced. There is a hose and electrical connection that run to it. Sadly, this too was not the root of my problem, but the part number is 04891685AB should you need it. It is easy enough to try and only about $30 if it is the problem.

What you just said, that part is NOT the problem or at least, no so far as I have seen and replacing it will not fix the problem.

I guess I just got lucky with my TSB fix cause it definitely fixed the problem for me. :idontknow:

GetOut

What you just said, that part is NOT the problem or at least, no so far as I have seen and replacing it will not fix the problem.

I guess I just got lucky with my TSB fix cause it definitely fixed the problem for me. :idontknow:

There is alot of info on fuel spit back, not so much on no fill issues, as a result I did tons of reading and only found that listed twice, as we have all seen on many of these forums, myths are everywhere, is it true? Is it not? We most likely will never know unless we witness it actually solving the problem, but with it taking less than 5 minutes to check, why not? Maybe sharing the info saves a fellow jeeper a few dollars or a trip to the stealership, maybe it doesn't.

Mine ended up being a bad check valve in the tank, and the entire tank had to be replaced, even though I was 40k miles outside of warranty the service manager went to bat for me and got Chrysler to cover the cost of the part, I just paid the labor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is alot of info on fuel spit back, not so much on no fill issues, as a result I did tons of reading and only found that listed twice, as we have all seen on many of these forums, myths are everywhere, is it true? Is it not? We most likely will never know unless we witness it actually solving the problem, but with it taking less than 5 minutes to check, why not? Maybe sharing the info saves a fellow jeeper a few dollars or a trip to the stealership, maybe it doesn't.

Mine ended up being a bad check valve in the tank, and the entire tank had to be replaced, even though I was 40k miles outside of warranty the service manager went to bat for me and got Chrysler to cover the cost of the part, I just paid the labor.

Never said that one couldn't check this part on the EVAP, just that it wouldn't be the problem causing gas to spit back out. I've owned 4 JKs over the last 8 years and have personally known a lot of people with this problem. During that time, I have NEVER seen this part fix the problem and, as was in your case, it didn't fix it for you either. Either way, it will just take 5 min to check.

JKWrang

Fairly common on the pre 2012. My 08 did this as well. But it wouldn't do it every time. Never got the TSB done, sold it first.

Weird thing was it was inconsistent

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks like the only part to the TSB is the filler neck, so I am picking one up today. The parts guy thinks the anti-siphon valve or check-valve is in it. It is only $37 and it's returnable. As I mentioned, I need to drop the tank to find a squeak anyway (currently wood shims are jammed on top to stop this). I'll post up what I find. (hopefully I find something)

This looks promising...

Revised Bulletin Number is 14-003-12.

As mentioned previously and in other threads, this bulletin covers the warranty (unlimited mileage and time) repair of JK Wranglers manufactured between March 1, 2007 and March 31, 2008. This said, The fuel "spit back" issue seems to extend beyond those manufacturing dates.

The part number the correction part ("Tube, Fuel") is CNNNX321AC. I paid $37 and change for it... Hopefully it solves our problem :yup:

P1020488.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This looks promising...

Revised Bulletin Number is 14-003-12.

As mentioned previously and in other threads, this bulletin covers the warranty (unlimited mileage and time) repair of JK Wranglers manufactured between March 1, 2007 and March 31, 2008. This said, The fuel "spit back" issue seems to extend beyond those manufacturing dates.

The part number the correction part ("Tube, Fuel") is CNNNX321AC. I paid $37 and change for it... Hopefully it solves our problem :yup:

View attachment 106450

Awesome! Thanks for posting this up! I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that can benefit from this thread :thumb:

JaySC

I also had this problem and took it into the dealer. They said it was a bad fuel filler tube kit, so they ordered a new one to replace my old filler tube. Took the new fuel filler tube kit to another shop to have it replaced (dealer refused to work on my jeep after looking at the mods) and it worked great for about a week. But now, I'm back to having the same old gas spillage problems. So, I'm curious about this issue as well.

Well, This tube thingy seems to have fixed our issue.... I was going to make a write-up but to be honest a video was much easier for me... Sorry for all the tool cart views :crazyeyes: But here is a full update. (not an WAL quality production by any means :grayno:)

Top Bottom