front axel seal

Mitrig

hey guys so a few months back i had my universal joint replaced on the passenger side and while it was being replaced the inner seal was damaged. Now i need to replace my inner seal, i was wondering if anyone had any tips, i only bring my rig in to get something done when i don't have the tools to conduct a job myself.

I was wondering if there was a write up on how to replace this seal that i missed. If anyones ha any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You have to pull the ring gear in order to do it. I need to do mine as well but have been putting it off. Shops around here are from $275-400 to have it done. It's worth it to pay and not have to deal with the headache and time.

I just went though this while fixing an improper gear setup on a second Jeep I bought.... USE THE FACTORY SEALS. They have a flange on them that ensures the seal is centered well. This is one of those times where the factory part is better than the aftermarket ones.

It is a pretty big job as OverlanderJK stated.

Mitrig

see i saw a few videos and write ups on guys doing them on tjs, and dana 35s. i only have one bad seal and i know on the dana 35 the passenger seal is not located in the differential but by the actuator i believe. trying to find where it is located on the dana 30 or 44. I don't trust the local shops to get this job done to be painfully honest. I brought it to them to get my joint replaced and thats when it all started, went back to the shop where I got it done and he told me to go to another shop and have them do it since its too big of a job for him and his mechanics. I would bring it to the dealer since i know they warranty their work but the dealer here charges so much it makes it almost impossible to get anything done through them if it isn't under warranty or you don't make 6 figures.

its just ones seal and i really don't want to have to put up with trusting another amateur under my rig.

I don't know what the labor rates are around you, but you are looking at a 6hr job... So roughly $600 in labor. The parts ~$50. If you are thinking about doing a gear swap now would be the time as the whole carrier has to come out anyway. At least you can double-dip on the labor.

It is a total bandaid, but you could add an outer axle seal... and put it off for a while.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know what the labor rates are around you, but you are looking at a 6hr job... So roughly $600 in labor. The parts ~$50. If you are thinking about doing a gear swap now would be the time as the whole carrier has to come out anyway. At least you can double-dip on the labor.

It is a total bandaid, but you could add an outer axle seal... and put it off for a while.

6 hours? That's a bad shop! I was quoted 3 hours by one shop and 2.5 by another.

I just did my seals. Not a hard job at all.
Just make sure everything goes back exactly how it came out. Watch the plunger if you have a rubicon.
I have a extra set of seals if you need them. Just pay shipping.

I just went though this while fixing an improper gear setup on a second Jeep I bought.... USE THE FACTORY SEALS. They have a flange on them that ensures the seal is centered well. This is one of those times where the factory part is better than the aftermarket ones.

It is a pretty big job as OverlanderJK stated.

The new part number has the flange. The seals previous did not.

Mitrig

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414076622.930432.jpg

Well that's disgusting. A lot of water had entered the diff. Picked up a new seal and will be swapping out the passenger side seal.

Going to purchase a set of those seals that sit on the outer portion of the shaft and install them in the spring before my next trip. Flushing all fluid and oh my are they off in colour

Mitrig

Well it's all done. Was much easier than I thought it would be. Seal was royally fucked and the yoke guides were pretty bent out of shape on the one side. All fluids were flushed and refreshed so she is golden.

Only place that had the seal for the Dana 44 was te stealership and they charged 33 dollars for it 😡 last place I went have me the wrong seal so had to get it from the dealer. :(

Well it's all done. Was much easier than I thought it would be. Seal was royally fucked and the yoke guides were pretty bent out of shape on the one side. All fluids were flushed and refreshed so she is golden.

Only place that had the seal for the Dana 44 was te stealership and they charged 33 dollars for it 😡 last place I went have me the wrong seal so had to get it from the dealer. :(

I offered new seals for free above ??

Anyways .. Good for you. This is what a shop did to my passenger side seal.
Pushed a guide right into it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414337884.721432.jpg

Mitrig

I offered new seals for free above ??

Anyways .. Good for you. This is what a shop did to my passenger side seal.
Pushed a guide right into it. View attachment 106809

Yea I know but I only had access to my other rig over the weekend since my sister drives it during the week to school to learn how to drive.

Yea I had te same problem, the portion that that f'ed up; the guide was bent around the shaft ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414358474.088703.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414358487.592937.jpg

And the seal looked like he had caught the yoke on it. But she is all back together and driving her today.

Top Bottom