What's a LJ?

Jeeper Jr.

So I'm still very much a Jeep freshman here and am looking for more info on the LJ. I love the two door look but can see the allure of the added room that comes with a JK Unlimited. An LJ seems to be the perfect middle ground here. The added wheel base helps on the trail, has more room for cargo and I still get two doors. However, when I creep around the forum, I don't see very many LJs around and the ones I see, even on the internet, don't seem to reach the same levels of build as TJs and JKs.

Is there something I don't know about LJs that makes them less desirable? Are they pretty rare? Are they not compatible with TJ parts and thus harder to upgrade? Or would I be infinitely better off getting a 2dr JK?

thardy

Banned
I have a 2dr JK and a good friend of mine has an LJ. I don't know what the actual specs are but the 2dr JK is almost as long as the LJ and is definitely wider, which for me is a big plus, as I drink too much :beer:

If I were choosing between an LJ and a 3.6 2dr JK, I'd take JK all day. If it was 3.8 JK vs LJ, the decision might be a little tougher.

Sent using Wayalife mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2dr JK and a good friend of mine has an LJ. I don't know what the actual specs are but the 2dr JK is almost as long as the LJ and is definitely wider, which for me is a big plus, as I drink too much :beer:

If I were choosing between an LJ and a 3.6 2dr JK, I'd take JK all day. If it was 3.8 JK vs LJ, the decision might be a little tougher.

This is true and i too would still take a JK over an LJ - this in spite of the fact that I really do like LJ's

Jeeper Jr.

This is true and i too would still take a JK over an LJ - this in spite of the fact that I really do like LJ's

Thanks for the input! I'll just stick with my plan for a stretched 2dr JK.

Rccrwlr

I have always liked the scrambler. They were always way to expensive. When they came out with the LJ i was excited but again to expensive all because they look like the scrambler. Having a family now the 4dr is the way to go! But I have to agree with Eddie, the LJ is cool

--rccrwlr.

Moabbnd

I own an 06 LJ Rubicon with the 4.0L and 6spd manual. The wheel base is 10" longer than TJs and 13-14" longer total. There is 2" more leg room behind the front seats vs a TJ and the cargo room is twice as much. I love it! I snagged this one because I got a steal on it for 15k with 65k miles. There are a lot of parts for these, but it gets mixed in with JKU parts when you search for "unlimited". If you can get one for a good price, then I'd jump on it. I don't see these loosing a lot of value

My Dad has a LJ (Long Jeep) and loves it. Whats Interesting is the 4dr JK Wheel Base is 12 inches longer but the overall vehicle length is only 2 inches longer than a LJ.

1932612_10201660547427496_102213266_o.jpg

Moabbnd

Thanks guys!

The LJ length really doesn't seem close to that of a JKU until you look at the numbers. LJ is 167" according to Edmunds specs (13' 11") and 2014 JKU is 173.4" (14' 5.4"). The JK interior looks much roomier too. The TJ/LJ front end is long, which probably adds to the overall length coming close to that of a JKU but doesn't feel as roomy

CharlieK

I love my JK, but still looking for a project LJ such bad ass jeeps. WAL is 100% correct they ain't cheap and good ones hard to find.

CRAZYCASEY

I wish I could talk my wife into taking our LJ to the next level, but it's her baby.

Comparison shot, LJ on 35s JK on 40s there is only about 6" difference in the length but about 12" in wheelbase

Attachments

• image-3633487480.jpg
    image-3633487480.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

RDE2ROK

I wish I could talk my wife into taking our LJ to the next level, but it's her baby.

Comparison shot, LJ on 35s JK on 40s there is only about 6" difference in the length but about 12" in wheelbase

His & Hers Jeeps!:rock: now that is a garage?..:thumb:

Wlgarvey882

Love my LJ!
Wheelin'.jpg

Most TJ and LJ parts are interchangeable, Chrysler doesn't recognize the body call out LJ though. They call it a TJ unlimited. Correct me if i am wrong here but the scrambler was the first longer wheel based Jeep.

Armydog

I own an 06 LJ Rubicon with the 4.0L and 6spd manual. The wheel base is 10" longer than TJs and 13-14" longer total. There is 2" more leg room behind the front seats vs a TJ and the cargo room is twice as much. I love it! I snagged this one because I got a steal on it for 15k with 65k miles. There are a lot of parts for these, but it gets mixed in with JKU parts when you search for "unlimited". If you can get one for a good price, then I'd jump on it. I don't see these loosing a lot of value

DA BOMB!!

That my man, is one nice looking LJ. Awesome Jeep. The longer wheelbase is a real plus off-road not too mention the much needed extra room inside!!! I love my TJ but would grab up an LJ in a NY Minute!!! not to replace the Pumpkin, but as an second rig....

Armydog

DA BOMB!!

That my man, is one nice looking LJ. Awesome Jeep. The longer wheelbase is a real plus off-road not too mention the much needed extra room inside!!! I love my TJ but would grab up an LJ in a NY Minute!!! not to replace the Pumpkin, but as an second rig....

and nice plate!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom