fender chop

Clark Collins

Just used this forum's write up to chop my factory fenders so I can mount 35" tires with just a RK leveling lift (3/4" in the back and 1 3/4" in the front. I just installed Rubi axles with 5.13 gears and posted info on that swap elsewhere on this forum, so I'm geared just right for 35s. There is an old thread on utilizing the front inner fender liner, but it's been inactive for a while. I would like to hear from others who have done this mod as to whether or not I should cut the inner fender liner to fit or leave it off. I can feel a lot of heat escaping from the engine compartment under the fenders.

In Eddy's original write up he leaves them out. Does that help with engine cooling and is a benefit or does leaving them out cause too much gunk to get into the engine compartment if you drive in muddy areas? I'm leaving them out for a while, but saving them to cut and install later if I want.

Let's hear some opinions on this!

StrizzyChris

I want to keep my engine bay as clean (especially from salt in the winter) as possible, so I left my front liners in. Its personal preference really

Skirmish

If you are running a lift your tires are probably out far enough that the mud or whatever is half in the fenders and half flinging outside the Jeep. I haven't had liners in and the only difference is aesthetic. I sprayed the foil heat shield stuff on the firewall with black paint, with the liners in it looks nicer.

I'm sure I get more air in but at some point it doesn't matter. Do what looks better to you.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JKWrang

Do they salt the roads out in Idaho? I know in Omaha and nearby they tend not to, or use very little (which causes way too many accidents IMHO).

If not, it's really up to you, but like Stizzy said - my concern would be winter road conditions and that crap ending up in my engine bay.

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Skirmish

I would guess most of the salt you would get in your engine bay would occur if you pulled over on the highway and a salt truck stopped to dump it's load in your engine compartment. Maybe when you turn hard some salt would end up not deflecting off your engine. Really, it's just there to be pretty.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would guess most of the salt you would get in your engine bay would occur if you pulled over on the highway and a salt truck stopped to dump it's load in your engine compartment. Maybe when you turn hard some salt would end up not deflecting off your engine. Really, it's just there to be pretty.

well in the NE we use a brine solition that basically acts as water and covers your vehicle white and anywhere it sprays white then they put salt down on top of that and so thick that its really unavoidable. its the reason i wash my jeep at least twice a week during the winter so the brine and salt doesnt eat my jeep

Draconianwinter

Only way to avoid getting salt into the engine compartment when they salt the roads die to snow is not drive it. If it is driven on salted roads the only thing you can do is throughly wash it underneath or it will develop rust. Also make certain you play close attention to those areas on the fender wells where the plastic pieces are those can keep you from getting all the salt out of the space indeterminate the inner fender longer and metal well itself.

sent from your basement

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I honestly don't see any reason to worry about it either way. If you have an extra 10-15 minutes, trim them up and keep them. if you dont... then dont waste the time with them :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Talk about thread resurrection! :crazyeyes:

For me, having heat get out is a good thing. As far as gunk goes, I have never seen it be a problem without the liners.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

For me, having heat get out is a good thing. As far as gunk goes, I have never seen it be a problem without the liners.

HAHA! I didnt even notice! :cheesy:

19944740.jpg

Draconianwinter

Lol yeah I noticed after I posted. Not sure how I ended up on a thread that old. And the problem will come in if they keep the liners. I have seen is on even uncut fenders from older ones. If air can get in so can water.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom