Wave from DFW - North Richland Hills, Texas

mastrcruse

Hey everyone,

New to wayalife and joined the jeep community almost a year ago with the purchase of my 14 JKU. Have done a few things to it and have used several of the tutorials and videos that yall offer to help with decision making. Have been wheeling twice now--Telluride, CO and about 3 weeks ago went out to Arbuckle offroad in OK--and learned that these machines are much more capable then I gave them credit for. Look forward to looking through all the knowledge on the forum.

Can't get any of my photos to load and will try later.

shadow21

Hey everyone,

New to wayalife and joined the jeep community almost a year ago with the purchase of my 14 JKU. Have done a few things to it and have used several of the tutorials and videos that yall offer to help with decision making. Have been wheeling twice now--Telluride, CO and about 3 weeks ago went out to Arbuckle offroad in OK--and learned that these machines are much more capable then I gave them credit for. Look forward to looking through all the knowledge on the forum.

Can't get any of my photos to load and will try later.

Welcome to WAL. I'm currently in Houston but grew up in Watauga eventually I'll move back to Keller in 20 months lol

mastrcruse

arbuckle rock and jeep.JPG

Here's a pic of my jeep at Arbuckle offroad.

Canvas...pretty sure you're my neighbor haha.

Other things I need to do...
Sport cage: wish OR fab still made theirs but probably will got with Rock hard since PSC's reviews aren't the best
Rear PSC bumper
Prorock 44 up front--at this time I'll regear to 4.56 and do arb's front and rear
Flat PSC fenders
Full river raider skid system
Springtail rear storage
--one day I'll upgrade to 37-38's when its not a DD

mastrcruse

Welcome. You could always just run the 37-38s on trails and leave 35s on for DD!

That actually exactly what I'm thinking I'll do. However, I think my first goal would be to put a PR44 under the front so that the itty bitty 30 wouldn't get trashed while 2.5 hours away from home. When DD'ing and racing my old BMW's I would have DD tires/wheels on it and then made a small trailer that had the racing tires/wheels on it which I would lug around to events. I was thinking of doing the same thing for the JK. Probably would do 17 or 18' spyderlocks and 37-38" Toyo's.

Given that, would it be better to go with 37s on a 17" wheel or 38's on an 18"? I see toyos are made in 38's/17" combo. Overall diameter is 37.0 for 37's and 37.7 for 38's.

Attached is a picture of the jeep at about 11.6k feet at Gold King's Basin in Colorado.

Attachments

• GoldKingBasin.png
    GoldKingBasin.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
View attachment 106539

Here's a pic of my jeep at Arbuckle offroad.

Canvas...pretty sure you're my neighbor haha.

Other things I need to do...
Sport cage: wish OR fab still made theirs but probably will got with Rock hard since PSC's reviews aren't the best
Rear PSC bumper
Prorock 44 up front--at this time I'll regear to 4.56 and do arb's front and rear
Flat PSC fenders
Full river raider skid system
Springtail rear storage
--one day I'll upgrade to 37-38's when its not a DD

I would strongly discourage you from putting any type of locker on the D30, you will be asking for trouble and wasting money. If I am not mistaken the ARB locker for a D30 will only work in a D30 due to the ring size. A D44 and PR44 have a bigger ring which requires a larger diameter locker.

May also suggest looking at different options for your skids. I have not heard much about River Raider but what I have is that they are not the best.

Had I known then what I know now I would have gone with the Hard Rock Sport Cage instead of the OR Fab. Installation looks a lot easier and you do not have to drop the front windshield.

Hard Rock Sport cage install http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-jk-wrangler-sport-cage-installation-write-up

OR Fab sport cage install http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-2007-2010-sport-cage-installation-write-up

You will see there is a stark difference in the install.

R/
Will

mastrcruse

I would strongly discourage you from putting any type of locker on the D30, you will be asking for trouble and wasting money. If I am not mistaken the ARB locker for a D30 will only work in a D30 due to the ring size. A D44 and PR44 have a bigger ring which requires a larger diameter locker.

May also suggest looking at different options for your skids. I have not heard much about River Raider but what I have is that they are not the best.

Had I known then what I know now I would have gone with the Hard Rock Sport Cage instead of the OR Fab. Installation looks a lot easier and you do not have to drop the front windshield.

Hard Rock Sport cage install http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-jk-wrangler-sport-cage-installation-write-up

OR Fab sport cage install http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...er-2007-2010-sport-cage-installation-write-up

You will see there is a stark difference in the install.

R/
Will

Absolutely. Definitely not going to put a locker into the 30. My "big" purchase next year is the PR44 which will have the ARB and then I'll regear and ARB the rear while the PR44 is installed.

I go back and forth on sport cages. I like the PSC cage due to it tying into the floor and like the hard rock since it ties into the windshield...but neither do both. I was thinking of hitting up a local cage builder (there are a few around) and see what they recommend...I go back and forth and my ultimate goal is to strength whats in there now and avoid complete removal (wanting the cake and eating it too). I've also heard that the PSC cage is "loud" while driving.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Definitely not going to put a locker into the 30. My "big" purchase next year is the PR44 which will have the ARB and then I'll regear and ARB the rear while the PR44 is installed.

I go back and forth on sport cages. I like the PSC cage due to it tying into the floor and like the hard rock since it ties into the windshield...but neither do both. I was thinking of hitting up a local cage builder (there are a few around) and see what they recommend...I go back and forth and my ultimate goal is to strength whats in there now and avoid complete removal (wanting the cake and eating it too). I've also heard that the PSC cage is "loud" while driving.

I remember talking to someone about the PSC sport cage causing the front windshield to crack due to it being so close the A pillar. I like the look of the hard Rock and imaging you can probably get a floor mounting kit.

JKRich

Welcome from Houston! Lived in Dallas for a bit when I had a TJ and cruised with some of the Lone Star Jeep Club cats and they are very active in the North Texas Area. Check them out if you haven't already.

mastrcruse

Welcome from Houston! Lived in Dallas for a bit when I had a TJ and cruised with some of the Lone Star Jeep Club cats and they are very active in the North Texas Area. Check them out if you haven't already.

Thanks. Yep, I usually go to the NRH cruise-in with the LSJC and have wheeled with the North Texas Jeep Club. Thanks!

Last edited:

mastrcruse

Update on my Jeep. Its darn near "done" and next steps would be upgrades. My goal was to have a rig that was a perfect balance between DD'ing and offroad capability...and I achieved exactly the look, capability, and ride I was looking for..for now :). Going forward my plan will be to upgrade things when they break.

'14 Anvil JKU Sport

Suspension and Drivetrain
3.5" X factor Mid-Arm kit
Rubicon Transfer Case
RSE Transfer Case Armor Kit/Bracket
Rock Hard skid plate
Upgraded T case linkage
Rancho 9000XL
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Bolt Upgrade
MetalCloak Bump Stops
18" Rugged Ridge Wheels w/ Rock Rings (Color Matched)
325/65-18

Exterior
JCR Classic Sliders (Powdered)
PSC Brawler lite Front Bumper w/ lower guard (Powdered)
Warn 12k lb winch
Topless for TaTa's Prolink
PSC Standard width fenders (Powdered & Color Matched)
PSC body mounted tire carrier (Powdered)
PSC crusher corners (Color Matched)
PSC LED lights tinted
Evo rear bumper (Powdered)
PSC tramp stamp
PSC CB antenna holder
Bestop Premium top
Rugged Ridge hood clamps
PSC diff covers
Tinted turn signals
Dual ARB compressor with manifold kit
MORE compressor mounting kit

Interior
Cobra 29 LX BT CB
Rugged Ridge A pillar switch panel
430N radio
Custom pool ball shifters
Tuffy Half security Console
Rugged Ridge upper console mount for Go Pro
Rugged Ridge Floor mats
Tuffy rear cubby security console
Fire Extinguisher
Drake Fire Extinguisher holder under passenger side seat
Upper latch CB mount
Springtail Solutions Rear Molle Cubby (recently sold)
Flashpaq
Spidershade

Awaiting and sitting in the garage...
Synergy A, B, and C Pillar weld in cage
10A Hood

Attachments

• Jeep RTI.png
    Jeep RTI.png
    371 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom