brankz wants to be a correctional officer

Brankz

So finally found what career I'm taking, not including my MBA degree

Before I pull the trigger and start the academy for correctional officer, I want to know what people think about this idea. Thanks

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Only from watching way to much TV. I would advise that you stay away from privately run prisons and work for the state run ones. Again not from personal experience, only from tv so you can take it for what its worth lol. Other than that, goos luck and stay safe. :thumbup::beer:

Loading please wait....

Jackal01

I was a TDC/TDCJ (Texas Dept. of Corrections) Correctional Officer while attending Sam Houston State University in Huntsville (state prison central for Texas.) The unit we proudly execute inmates in is 1/2 mile from campus. My unit, which was in the sticks north of Huntsville, was primarily younger gang bangers. Be prepared for dudes jerking it in front of you (most likely thinking about you while they are), naked dudes 24/7, some of the worst smells imaginable especially bad in the warm months. Grow eyes in the back of your head, too.

You'll, hopefully, learn the rest.

I am by no means intimidating. 6'1" 130 pounds. The way I earned respect was by being firm, fair, and consistent. All those guys were treated the same and fairly. That all these guys want mostly. Treat them with respect and you will get the same back. I saw too many guards being assholes which only made their job harder. The one that assaulted me was different. Inmates, in Texas, know that when they assault a guard they will get transferred to another unit. Just prior to the assault he had a hearing for his request a transfer to be closer to home, it was rejected. So...he decided beating up me, the guard for his block, was the way to get out of our unit and into another one albeit not the one closer to home. He was a pussy...he hit me from behind when I was letting the guys into the dayroom for TV time. Unfortunately for him the following week was one of the worst weeks of his life (an inmate just doesn't fuck with Texas COs. Word spreads fast throughout the system rapidly).

Last edited:

JLE21

Ive been working for AZ DOC now for over 3 yrs, its definitely not for everybody. You have to have thick skin, always be in constant alert, be at your wits end dealing with inmate games, and never take anything personal. Like Jackal01 said, naked dudes 24/7, you'll conduct strip searches, patdowns, cell /living area searches, ive seen officers prick themselves turning over a cell with prison made syringes and tattoo guns, Hep C is extremely common, be prepared to be around diseases, always treating everyone as infected. It doesn't have to be something you personal did in order to get assaulted, most of the time its something another officer in other shift did to kick start the inmate, its inmates vs officers and they'll take it out on anyone not wearing their color.

Jackal01

And don't get between inmates fighting...if you break it up and the intended victim doesn't die you now have a green light on you because you stopped the hit (if that is why they are fighting obviously). Of course it partly depends on if your unit has violent inmates like that or it's more high security.

It doesn't have to be something you personal did in order to get assaulted, most of the time its something another officer in other shift did to kick start the inmate, its inmates vs officers and they'll take it out on anyone not wearing their color.

Exactly what happened to me. I wasn't a threat to him but I was the chosen one for his way out...to being worse off in the end.

Last edited:

Benny

Pretty much what these guys said. I've been doing it for going on 15 years now and still every day at work I find myself asking what the f*#k is wrong with people. The biggest piece of advice from me is learn to turn it off. As soon as you hit the gates leave the job at the jail. For me these clowns don't exist when I'm off the job. The job will definitely change you. You'll become a germa-phob and then not even bat an eye at a pile of human shit on a slice of bread while a dude eats it. Also as hard as this sounds, you have to be the same guy every day at work with these guys. No matter whats going on at home or out in the world....same guy. My motto when dealing with the crazies that are screaming and cussing at me....I just think of the penguins from madagascar..."smile and wave boys, smile and wave". The minute their shit becomes personal to you, it's gonna be a bad day! Co-workers will become your second family unless you become an overtime whore, then they will be your first.

However your campfire stories will become that of legend!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Brankz- sounds like you should work at a women's facility. Naked chicks all day long...maybe even on each other.
:cheesy:

Seriously though, kudos to you guys and gals doing CO work. I'm sure it ain't always a walk in the park to say the least.

Jackal01

And don't ask them what they are in for. Like most normal men knowing that another man did something to a child/woman will make your blood boil. I tried my best to not know their history. Like what was stated above...leave it at the gate. You gotta have a strong mind to not dwell on the inmates. Many of them are true monsters.

SDG

Caught the Bug
My gf's dad was a guard at pelican bay from the day it opened till he retired last year. He doesnt talk about work often. Like these other guys said, be prepared to see some weird stuff... I think it all depends where you end up and how you conduct yourself.

Brankz

Thanks all of you for the comments I just found out that I can do jail visit and they will show me everything I need to know👍 can't wait.

By the way I'm fast food free and DDs free for 4 weeks wohooo

Thanks all of you for the comments I just found out that I can do jail visit and they will show me everything I need to know👍 can't wait.

Just be sure you don't take your eyes off the exit door.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Just remember, jail is NOT prison...at least not around these parts. Don't expect one to give you any feel for what the other is like.

Jackal01

Just remember, jail is NOT prison...at least not around these parts. Don't expect one to give you any feel for what the other is like.

100% truth.

Jail is typically holding until trial/short term sentences. Prison is long term.

Top Bottom