brankz wants to be a correctional officer

JKWrang

Jail is easy breezy. Those people have a whole lot to lose by being knuckleheads.

Prison - not much to care about as an inmate for life so its game on

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

xkid

If you were my son, I would want you to do something else.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benny

Jail is easy breezy. Those people have a whole lot to lose by being knuckleheads.

Prison - not much to care about as an inmate for life so its game on

I wouldn't say Jail is easy breezy. I mean most of our jails population are felons awaiting to go back to prison and most of them cant wait to go to the joint. Our jail does not segregate gangs, races, etc unless they cant deal with it. Some days you'll see a Skinhead playing cards with an OG Hilltop crip and a Jugallo. We have to deal with all these clowns when they are high, drunk, smoked out on sherm and pissed off that the police were picking on them. Jail is were you end up sleeping next to drunk guy passed out in his own vomit listening to heroin junkie puking in the shitter. Then eating chow next to some homeless dude that hasn't bathed in who knows how long and doesn't know they invented toothpaste. Then you have to deal with all the little homies that think they run the joint. Not to mention Jails and prison now have become the defacto mental institutions...but thats a whole nother' chapter.

Why did I pick this job again?:doh:

JKWrang

Hahaha touche. You know the inmates who have the COs habits down to a science are the life long habitual offenders cycling in and out - these guys are innocent though. Just ask them

JK LYF

Go for it! Here is my advice, take what you like and throw the rest away!

Only get advice from people that actually work/worked the job. If they quit, or were fired, ask them why and then do follow up on the ones that were fired (most won't be totally honest with you as to the reason they were fired). Take a tour of both jails and prisons. Not one, but several.

Do research on the prisons you may end up working at. How big they are, the type of prison, the type of inmate, the number of COs, the number of inmates, etc.

You will know when the job is for you. Your size, and all the degrees in the world won't make you better or worse. It's common sense with the ability to adapt.

It's a great career, but it's also a lifestyle. Hope this helps, the best of luck with any decision you make.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Brankzie......My father was a LEO for 33 years, and my Uncle was a Corrections Officer for 30.....he worked at Florida State Prison at Starke, Florida and was present when they welded serial killer Theodore Bundy in "Old Sparky" before they went liberal with lethal injection........They both told me they're glad I went into the Fire Service instead......and that law enforcement isn't as respected as it once was back in their day......choose wisely my friend......don't get into a career that you are going to resent later........

Brankzie.......come to the Fire side........24hrs on 48hrs off........Kelly Day.......what's not to like?!?

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

Jk909

My best friend became a sheriff and my brother in law is LAPD. Both have to deal with a lot of bs and both do not get paid enough. I think you really have to love it or you will quit. I have tremendous respect for those guys. Keep in mind that career can and will have positive and negative effects on your personality. It takes a special breed.

916razorback

I worked 7 years here in California for the Department of Corrections as a Correctional Officer, Sergeant, and Parole Agent. I left and joined a Northern California Sheriff's Department 13 years ago. I lost a co-worker and friend today at the hands of a cold blooded murderer. Although the conditions are night and day apart, and I have lost several co-workers to homicide or other means, I would encourage you to look into a Sheriff's Department. With most Sheriff's Departments you would at least have the option for other jobs like patrol, boats, helicopter etc. Please keep my buddy and the Placer County Deputy who were killed today in your prayers.

RIp Danny Oliver

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
So finally found what career I'm taking, not including my MBA degree

Before I pull the trigger and start the academy for correctional officer, I want to know what people think about this idea. Thanks

This sounds like an awful idea. If you're getting an mba why would you waste you're time getting it if you just want to work in corrections?

Johnlmt33

I worked 7 years here in California for the Department of Corrections as a Correctional Officer, Sergeant, and Parole Agent. I left and joined a Northern California Sheriff's Department 13 years ago. I lost a co-worker and friend today at the hands of a cold blooded murderer. Although the conditions are night and day apart, and I have lost several co-workers to homicide or other means, I would encourage you to look into a Sheriff's Department. With most Sheriff's Departments you would at least have the option for other jobs like patrol, boats, helicopter etc. Please keep my buddy and the Placer County Deputy who were killed today in your prayers.

RIp Danny Oliver

Thanks,
Greg

Another sad day for Law Enforcement. Sorry for the loss of your buddy and the other Deputy. I too have been on the job for 13 years, 8 on patrol and last 5 CID. Stay Safe!

Punisher417

I got hired at 20 years old for L.A county sheriffs so for me it was a huge eye opener. My first year was pretty stressful and hard on me more so because of the trainee internment as well as not knowing how to properly turn the switch on n off. So I would bring a lot of my work home with me n my family n buddies would suffer because of it. But I don't have any regrets n love my job. U eventually learn to see humor in stuff ur average person would find horrible. This job changes you. Just be ready for that and ur family prepared for that as well. Oh n u will lose friends because of ur career choice. Working the jails are fun n depending what county you work for n which facility you work, trust me when I say this an inmate is an inmate no matter if it's county jail or a state prison. Respect goes a long way with these guys but once they disrespect me I make dam sure to put them in there place.

CerOf

This sounds like an awful idea. If you're getting an mba why would you waste you're time getting it if you just want to work in corrections?

My first thought was to move up to warden for the pay....quick google say they average $55k per year. Some salary gets up to ~$120k
Probably takes 15+years to get to &100k
Sure, money is not everything...but sure there isnt somethingelse you'd rather do with an MBA that can earn you something comfortable if not more?

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

CharlieK

I have been with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office for over 24 years. I have worked patrol, narcotics, and the last 14 as a Homicide Detective. I routinely have to travel to prisons/ jails all over Florida, do yourself a favor find a different career. I think most will agree, that very few people got in there by accident. Another thing to consider, a lot of correctional facilities in Florida are being privatized, which typically means pay and benefit reductions. Go fire department, all they guys I know who did love their jobs, and most have a business of some sort. Good luck whatever you decide and stay safe.

Top Bottom