Stock Rubicon Axle Improvements

JeepKind

I recall reading an article or post from Eddie one time where on top of gussets he mentioned a few other items that should be done that were fairly basic but critical. Can you guys steer me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
C gussets, lca skids and maybe chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips up front is about all I would do.

JeepKind

Thanks guys, I think it was the full circle clips that I read in an article that Eddie posted and seem to remember that improvement being simple but critical. Pardon my newbie lack of knowledge but what are Ica skids?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, I think it was the full circle clips that I read in an article that Eddie posted and seem to remember that improvement being simple but critical. Pardon my newbie lack of knowledge but what are Ica skids?

Lca = lower control arm. The skids will help strengthen the weak factory brackets that are prone to smashing into rocks.

computeruser6

A good differential cover would also be useful. This Solid cover only cost me $65 and even shows up with a big tube of RTV.

DSCF5311.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips up front is about all I would do.

What he said. In addition to gussets, chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips are about all that I would invest in and ONLY after the factory shafts were shot. Hell, I'm still only running one chromoly front shaft on Rubicat :crazyeyes:

Aside from that, I would just save up for a ProRock 44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't waste my money on a diff cover unless I bent my stock one like 10frank9 and Hinrich did. If so then replace it or look for a stock one in good shape off of craigslist for cheap .02

In all fairness, HD diff covers look cool and I like having one just for that but yeah, they're far from necessary and I wouldn't hesitate wheeling with a factory cover.

jagerhelix

The stock covers are pretty solid, the only issue I've seen is the thinner "lip" peeling if drug across rocks. Most aftermarket covers have more rounding to them. I saw this personally happen on my dads Rubi which led to a slight drip.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The stock covers are pretty solid, the only issue I've seen is the thinner "lip" peeling if drug across rocks. Most aftermarket covers have more rounding to them. I saw this personally happen on my dads Rubi which led to a slight drip.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

you can easily get around this by grinding the lip of the stock covers down so they don't get caught on anything and bend

jeeeep

Hooked
on my 2010, the rear diff cover lip hung just a little lower than the diff, I ground it off flush to prevent it from catching on the rocks, this is what I saw as the most common issue with the stock covers.

I still have a set of SOLIDs I've never installed.

The front axle got replaced with a PR44 and the rear still has the stock cover on it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you can easily get around this by grinding the lip of the stock covers down so they don't get caught on anything and bend

Yup, just need to remove the cover and grind the lip so that it sits ABOVE the base of the housing. Problem solved. :yup:

CJW

What he said. In addition to gussets, chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips are about all that I would invest in and ONLY after the factory shafts were shot. Hell, I'm still only running one chromoly front shaft on Rubicat :crazyeyes:

Aside from that, I would just save up for a ProRock 44.

Hi Wayalife!
Are you guys still running D44s on rubicat? I saw that you upgraded the suspension but hadn't seen whether or not you were still using the stock 44s or went with 60s?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi Wayalife!
Are you guys still running D44s on rubicat? I saw that you upgraded the suspension but hadn't seen whether or not you were still using the stock 44s or went with 60s?

rubicat is now running a PR44 front and the old PR60 that was in moby.

CJW

rubicat is now running a PR44 front and the old PR60 that was in moby.

Ok. Thanks! So just trying to be clear; he's saying that the prorock 44 still has a factory shaft in it?
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow LOL

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok. Thanks! So just trying to be clear; he's saying that the prorock 44 still has a factory shaft in it?
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow LOL

lol its ok. yes he got a PR44 that utilizes the rubi axle componets. one stock shaft was still good so he only replaced one side with a chromoly w/ full circle clips.

Top Bottom