Transfer case or axle gears first

darthmurdoch

Scenario, I bought a 2013 jk 2 door automatic, planned on driving it for a few years then give it to my kid so I did not buy from dealer planning to upgrade. Several off-road trips later and the kid is not getting the jeep. I have the 3.6L with an auto, 3.21 gears, 2.5 inch coil lift and 35" tires. Eventually I will get lockers and 4.88 gears but given the cost that will be a year or two down the road. I also want to change out the transfer case with an atlas2 to get lower low end gears. It seems to me, and I do 't know much, that it would more sense to do the transfer case first. My jk already goes like a mountain goat off-road. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I would regear your axle first and keep your eye on a used Rubicon t-case. You should be able to find one for about $800 or so and the 4:1 ratio it has will be all that you really need. You just need to make sure you get one made for a 2012 or newer.

Schweetjk

Hey guys, I've been searching the forum for info on transfer cases. I have 2007 JKU. I wanted to know if it is possible to change out my np 231 for np 241 rock trac transfer case. Will I need new driveshafts or anything else? I appreciate any help with info on this.
Thanks

NAUJK

What Eddie said!! I dunno where you're located since I'm on my phone but I would suggest regearing. I've been running 3.21s on 35s for less than a year and just tonight got 4.88s in my rear (waiting for the front next week) you will love it!! It is an amazing difference. Granted I'm at 7000ft with a 3.8. But the difference is the world. Even without the better tcase. You'll be happy you did it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom