Unexpected Results - Not So Tall Tales of Mishaps We've Experienced!

jesse3638

Hooked
We've all had them, whether it be on the trail, driving down the road, wrenching on something, just plain horsing around, consuming copius amounts of alcohol or a combination of things. Things that end up far from what you had expected or just plain bizarre. I figured I'd start a thread where we can share our "Lessons Learned"..;)

I'll go first:

*Disclaimer: Theatrics were added only for effect this is a true story!*

Last week while taking the girlfriend and kids to the pumpkin patch in my jeep I found myself in a predicament that I have found myself in many times, a rather large tumble weed (3-4' diameter) in the middle of the road. Watching the small sedan in front of me slow and swerve around it the decision has to be made, follow suit or the ever fun, speed up and kill it! Having met this before it almost always results in the same outcome, me speeding up and having it explode everywhere (my daughter thinks this is the funniest thing). So taking a quick vote among the passengers, its almost unanimous that this tumble weed needs to die! After sizing up my opponent to ensure there is nothing hidden by it, large rocks etc., I lock on and fire. Speeding up to about 50-55 MPH the tension in the Jeep is mounting. Low squeals start to emerge from my young passengers in the back seat as the moment of impact approaches. Finally "KA-BOOM"! Only I'm not met by the usual sound of pieces of the weed rattling under the Jeep as we pass over it. Instead I'm met by a loud helicopter like "thump thump thump......!" I immediately thought that a piece had found its way up into the engine compartment and was in the fan. I rapidly slowed down and as I did I realized the helicopter like sound was slowing too. At that point I knew what had happened, my opponent had not given up so easy and wrapped itself around my front drive shaft. During the moment of impact I noticed the tumble weed was not dry like most are and in fact was green and looked to have just been removed from someone's yard. This caused the tumble weed to bend rather than break as usual. In turn it snagged the front U-joint where it quickly enveloped the drive shaft. So for the next 10 mins, in flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt, all while laying in the dirt along a busy street, I slowly released the death grip of the tumble weed. As I climbed back into my jeep, covered in dirt, thorns, and soon to be sneezing with itchy eyes (I'm allergic to them) I started the engine and humbly continued to our destination. All while my girlfriend was laughing at me and telling me I should have just went around it. So this time the tumble weed may have won the battle but I can assure you I will win the war!....:crazyeyes:

So who's next? I know everyone has a story like this, where things didn't quite go as planned so lets hear them!

We've all had them, whether it be on the trail, driving down the road, wrenching on something, just plain horsing around, consuming copius amounts of alcohol or a combination of things. Things that end up far from what you had expected or just plain bizarre. I figured I'd start a thread where we can share our "Lessons Learned"..;)

I'll go first:

*Disclaimer: Theatrics were added only for effect this is a true story!*

Last week while taking the girlfriend and kids to the pumpkin patch in my jeep I found myself in a predicament that I have found myself in many times, a rather large tumble weed (3-4' diameter) in the middle of the road. Watching the small sedan in front of me slow and swerve around it the decision has to be made, follow suit or the ever fun, speed up and kill it! Having met this before it almost always results in the same outcome, me speeding up and having it explode everywhere (my daughter thinks this is the funniest thing). So taking a quick vote among the passengers, its almost unanimous that this tumble weed needs to die! After sizing up my opponent to ensure there is nothing hidden by it, large rocks etc., I lock on and fire. Speeding up to about 50-55 MPH the tension in the Jeep is mounting. Low squeals start to emerge from my young passengers in the back seat as the moment of impact approaches. Finally "KA-BOOM"! Only I'm not met by the usual sound of pieces of the weed rattling under the Jeep as we pass over it. Instead I'm met by a loud helicopter like "thump thump thump......!" I immediately thought that a piece had found its way up into the engine compartment and was in the fan. I rapidly slowed down and as I did I realized the helicopter like sound was slowing too. At that point I knew what had happened, my opponent had not given up so easy and wrapped itself around my front drive shaft. During the moment of impact I noticed the tumble weed was not dry like most are and in fact was green and looked to have just been removed from someone's yard. This caused the tumble weed to bend rather than break as usual. In turn it snagged the front U-joint where it quickly enveloped the drive shaft. So for the next 10 mins, in flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt, all while laying in the dirt along a busy street, I slowly released the death grip of the tumble weed. As I climbed back into my jeep, covered in dirt, thorns, and soon to be sneezing with itchy eyes (I'm allergic to them) I started the engine and humbly continued to our destination. All while my girlfriend was laughing at me and telling me I should have just went around it. So this time the tumble weed may have won the battle but I can assure you I will win the war!....:crazyeyes:

So who's next? I know everyone has a story like this, where things didn't quite go as planned so lets hear them!

Those suckers always get me driving from Dallas to Denver! Next time, I am going to get a vengeance kill for ya!

Faceplant-not Jeep related, but true and unexpected for certain!

In the winters in Wisconsin, we would go sledding. It would be sub zero out and we would don our long johns and double up on socks in our boots. We were teenagers so we didn't need no stinking snow pants! Jeans would do just fine. Thermal top, t-shirt, sweatshirt, scarf and finally the jacket. Snowmobiling gloves and a hat topped it all off.

By this time my best friend had his license and me being 3 years younger, I was just shy of getting mine. He secured moms car and we were loaded up to go to the best hill in town. This was a brand spanking new park in a newly developed neighborhood that was built on an old land fill. The city built a really nice park with tennis courts, soccer fields, baseball fields and a big pavilion. In the summertime it was the site of the premier fireworks display on the 4th of July for our side of town. But in the winter, it was the sledding Mecca. The hill was, I'd guesstimate, 150yds from the top to the base. The city even installed lighting! Oh it was glorious! This particular trip we took the 5 man toboggan and met some friends there who had multiple modes of downhill transport ranging from the slick plastic "carpet" style sheet sleds to inner tubes. We would hold onto each other as we slid down the hill in a big mob. We would have running snowball fights or try to hijack each others rides by tossing the rider from his mount. Each run degenerated into an impromptu mele and much fun was had by all.

This trip in particular offered something we had not had before though. Someone took some time to create a jump. A snow ramp that extended nearly horizontal against the hills nearly 45 degree face. It was intimidating. And we were eyeballing it from the moment we got out of the car.

As we made our way to the hill from the parking lot, we were all a buzz with talk of who would hit the jump and how we could get all of us over it at the same time. We were all giddy with anticipation. Up ahead there were a couple headed down the hill as we were making our way up. She was about 17 if I had to guess and she was sobbing. She was being led down by her boyfriend most likely. It was dark and we could hear her and see her silhouetted against the lights from the top of the hill. When she got close enough we finally saw what she was moaning and sobbing for. Looked like she was hit with a shovel. Her nose was a bloody mess! We all grew silent as she passed. In her passing the looks shot around our group. And the smiles grew wide. This was gonna be an awesome night!

We now turned our collective attention to achieving the best jump we could off the newly minted snow ramp. Between runs of hijacking and solo showboating we would watch others attempt to hit the ramp. It was not easy. Whomever built it made it about 4 feet wide. In a sled with no real steering, save for a dragging hand or foot, to hit it squarely was difficult. There were edge shots and near misses but no one scored a direct hit...yet.

Mike was shorter and slighter than I so I rode in the front. Rope in hands like reigns on a horse. Flexing the toboggans nose helped guide it. Mike pushed like a bobsledder and jumped on. We made several small course corrections and there it was. The ramp lay square in front of us. The hill flying by in the muted light. Then, silence. The sound of the snow crunching under the sled ceased. We were airborne! Very airborne! I remember Mike separating from the sled first. His exit sent the sleds momentum on a right roll as I became separated from it too. We fell for an eternity. Then the inevitable fall from grace came to an abrupt end. Faceplant! I hit and slid for maybe 30 feet. I came to rest in a heap. Sure that I had lost my two front teeth and broken my nose. I didn't want to move. I could feel liquid streaming from my nose. Dazed, I managed to do a self check. Teeth?-check! Still there. Nose?-check! Mashed but not broken! Blood check? None! That was snot that had been jarred loose on impact! Thank you Lord! Mike was laying 5 feet from me stunned but unhurt. Nervous chatter later turned to boastful recounting of the jump that made history. Needless to say we spent the rest of the night in the pavilion. Telling stories and recovering.

jesse3638

Hooked
In the winters in Wisconsin, we would go sledding. It would be sub zero out and we would don our long johns and double up on socks in our boots. We were teenagers so we didn't need no stinking snow pants! Jeans would do just fine. Thermal top, t-shirt, sweatshirt, scarf and finally the jacket. Snowmobiling gloves and a hat topped it all off.

By this time my best friend had his license and me being 3 years younger, I was just shy of getting mine. He secured moms car and we were loaded up to go to the best hill in town. This was a brand spanking new park in a newly developed neighborhood that was built on an old land fill. The city built a really nice park with tennis courts, soccer fields, baseball fields and a big pavilion. In the summertime it was the site of the premier fireworks display on the 4th of July for our side of town. But in the winter, it was the sledding Mecca. The hill was, I'd guesstimate, 150yds from the top to the base. The city even installed lighting! Oh it was glorious! This particular trip we took the 5 man toboggan and met some friends there who had multiple modes of downhill transport ranging from the slick plastic "carpet" style sheet sleds to inner tubes. We would hold onto each other as we slid down the hill in a big mob. We would have running snowball fights or try to hijack each others rides by tossing the rider from his mount. Each run degenerated into an impromptu mele and much fun was had by all.

This trip in particular offered something we had not had before though. Someone took some time to create a jump. A snow ramp that extended nearly horizontal against the hills nearly 45 degree face. It was intimidating. And we were eyeballing it from the moment we got out of the car.

As we made our way to the hill from the parking lot, we were all a buzz with talk of who would hit the jump and how we could get all of us over it at the same time. We were all giddy with anticipation. Up ahead there were a couple headed down the hill as we were making our way up. She was about 17 if I had to guess and she was sobbing. She was being led down by her boyfriend most likely. It was dark and we could hear her and see her silhouetted against the lights from the top of the hill. When she got close enough we finally saw what she was moaning and sobbing for. Looked like she was hit with a shovel. Her nose was a bloody mess! We all grew silent as she passed. In her passing the looks shot around our group. And the smiles grew wide. This was gonna be an awesome night!

We now turned our collective attention to achieving the best jump we could off the newly minted snow ramp. Between runs of hijacking and solo showboating we would watch others attempt to hit the ramp. It was not easy. Whomever built it made it about 4 feet wide. In a sled with no real steering, save for a dragging hand or foot, to hit it squarely was difficult. There were edge shots and near misses but no one scored a direct hit...yet.

Mike was shorter and slighter than I so I rode in the front. Rope in hands like reigns on a horse. Flexing the toboggans nose helped guide it. Mike pushed like a bobsledder and jumped on. We made several small course corrections and there it was. The ramp lay square in front of us. The hill flying by in the muted light. Then, silence. The sound of the snow crunching under the sled ceased. We were airborne! Very airborne! I remember Mike separating from the sled first. His exit sent the sleds momentum on a right roll as I became separated from it too. We fell for an eternity. Then the inevitable fall from grace came to an abrupt end. Faceplant! I hit and slid for maybe 30 feet. I came to rest in a heap. Sure that I had lost my two front teeth and broken my nose. I didn't want to move. I could feel liquid streaming from my nose. Dazed, I managed to do a self check. Teeth?-check! Still there. Nose?-check! Mashed but not broken! Blood check? None! That was snot that had been jarred loose on impact! Thank you Lord! Mike was laying 5 feet from me stunned but unhurt. Nervous chatter later turned to boastful recounting of the jump that made history. Needless to say we spent the rest of the night in the pavilion. Telling stories and recovering.

I love sledding unfortunately (well maybe its a good thing) we don't get much white stuff where I live. Having made the trip to Flagstaff for the last 3 years around Christmas time I have had my fair opportunities though. No matter the age it never gets old! I had heard some of the horror stories of the sled hill though, sometimes involving Air Ambulances, of individuals that fell victim to the sled hill's wrath. I can only imagine what kind of injuries I'd have sustained in my youth had I had opportunities such as yours..haha

BlackHawk08jk

5 months ago my buddy and I we're blasting down hills on skateboards well after an unsuccessful try on a hill we decided one more try... Well I was filming so I was the last in line, while going between 20 and 25 mph he went down causing me to flip through the air on to my shoulder. And SNAP spilt my collar bone in to. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422503733.124646.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
5 months ago my buddy and I we're blasting down hills on skateboards well after an unsuccessful try on a hill we decided one more try... Well I was filming so I was the last in line, while going between 20 and 25 mph he went down causing me to flip through the air on to my shoulder. And SNAP spilt my collar bone in to. View attachment 121579

Oooh ouch! I believe it only take 7lbs of pressure to break that. Working our at Dumont I've seen plenty of broken collar bones.

BlackHawk08jk

Yea they say it's roughly 7 pounds I landed with a lot more than 7 pounds of pressure lol. I had to have a plate and screws put in after that one. (My wife wasn't to happy lol)

jesse3638

Hooked
Yea they say it's roughly 7 pounds I landed with a lot more than 7 pounds of pressure lol. I had to have a plate and screws put in after that one. (My wife wasn't to happy lol)

Why do wives/gf's get mad when we're just trying to have fun? We're only endangering ourselves most of the time..haha

jesse3638

Hooked
This happened a few months ago. While out mountain bike my buddy and I found a new section of trail. It got pretty technical and led into a rock garden. There was a rock ledge approximately 18-24" tall which appeared to be "doable" and roll out at the bottom. My buddy wouldn't attempt it and was telling me I shouldn't. My reply was "After I do it then you have to quit being a ***** and do it!" Famous last words right. As I rode up all felt good but durring my attempt to roll out, my front fork compressed shifting my weight forward and my front wheel stuck. This caused a slow motion endo over the bars. As I landed in the rock pile adjacent to the trail my face broke my fall. I thought for sure I broke my jaw but luckily I didn't. All I could hear while laying there was "See! I that's why I wasn't gonna do it! Are you alright?" Here is the results. Kind of ironic I chose to wear the Jersey I did that day..haha.

Attachments

• 1422559758471.jpg
    1422559758471.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 1422559817742.jpg
    1422559817742.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 121

BlackHawk08jk

This happened a few months ago. While out mountain bike my buddy and I found a new section of trail. It got pretty technical and led into a rock garden. There was a rock ledge approximately 18-24" tall which appeared to be "doable" and roll out at the bottom. My buddy wouldn't attempt it and was telling me I shouldn't. My reply was "After I do it then you have to quit being a ***** and do it!" Famous last words right. As I rode up all felt good but durring my attempt to roll out, my front fork compressed shifting my weight forward and my front wheel stuck. This caused a slow motion endo over the bars. As I landed in the rock pile adjacent to the trail my face broke my fall. I thought for sure I broke my jaw but luckily I didn't. All I could hear while laying there was "See! I that's why I wasn't gonna do it! Are you alright?" Here is the results. Kind of ironic I chose to wear the Jersey I did that day..haha.

Haha what a bad deal!

jesse3638

Hooked
Diggin the jersey.

Thanks I don't think that will be the last time crash wearing it.

Haha what a bad deal!

Yeah it always seems I've taken my worst falls while I me at work and yet my boss still lets me ride..;)

Mom always said "It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt."

Yeah then it gets real...haha

I heard, "It's funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious." :cheesy:

After I got my wind back and did a system check I did laugh. It did all happen so slow and my buddy was close enough to me he said he could have reached out and slapped my back wheel down. I told him he should have that would have been funnier...:)

Top Bottom