Thanksgiving week trip. North AL & TN

jfallon1

Need some help planning the trip. I've got a schedule but it's not set in stone. Leaving the 22nd-26th and stopping at Stoney Lonesome, Choccollocco Mountain, and Windrock in those order. I'm looking for some info on these parks as what trails to ride and not to. Trying to see the best scenes along the way. I plan to stop in cades cove for one night and camp. If there's any info ya'll can share that'll be great. I have an extra day to sorta adventure and sight see. Thanks.

FrankenJeeper

I live 5 minutes from Choccolocco Mountain. It's all around a great park, but piss poor maps and trail markings: if you're unsure of a trail or obstacle, walk it first. A buddy of mine would up going down a "green" trail that wound up being a "red" trail, one that required full cage and helmet and lockers, in a TJ with 2" lift and 33's. Once he got started, the trail was so steep down and off camber he had no choice but to continue down. It was a fun ride haha.
It's $20 per vehicle and $5 per passenger to get in last time I rode.
For the most part, 33's or 35's and good judgement, you can go almost anywhere in the park. Some obstacles are challenging, but not impossible.
There are a few dead end trails or bypasses between trails cut out and used by Southern Rock Racers and are intense. I steer clear of those.

Hit me up when you go, I'd love to go and ride.

Also several great places in Jacksonville to stop and eat. There's a new craft brewery on the town square that I've heard is good as well.

PM me if you'd like to meet up and ride when you're in town.

FrankenJeeper

Also, as far as scenery, check out Mt. Cheaha in Heflin along the way. Great place to camp, great restaurant there, several roads to ride and just cruise.

jfallon1

Alright cool. Choccollocco is the only one on the list I've wheeled. Went there in June whenever we went to the race in talledega. But yea. I know what you mean. I road half the park without a trail map cause there was none at the gate. It was until we stopped at the showers and bathrooms that we found maps. I found myself in a few bad spots. Rode for hours and had the whole park to myself. Whenever it looks like I'll have a set time, I'll holler at you and we'll get up and ride it.

Top Bottom