Poison Spyder cage install

mattfl

Just spoke with PS. I have the wrong year cage! Some how I was sent a 2007-2010 version. Holes are different! PS is stand up on customer service. They are swapping me for a new cage.

To Be Continued...

Their customer support really is great. when I ordered their sliders they sent me 2 driver side ones and had the correct ones out to me within a day plus gave me a huge discount on their side armor.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just spoke with PS. I have the wrong year cage! Some how I was sent a 2007-2010 version. Holes are different! PS is stand up on customer service. They are swapping me for a new cage.

To Be Continued...

You have got to be kidding me! So will the holes on the correct version match up with the template and bar you have already used (and the holes you have already drilled)? If not, you might want to see if they can send you the cage without holes. Then you could put the cage in, mark the holes, pull it out drill and tap holes.

Was that their error or yours? Man I would be pissed.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Wow that is some bullshit. Sorry but I would be flipping out. Was there anyway to tell before you started the install?

mrmike

Supposedly the holes in the jeep don't change. Just the ones in the plate.

I don't know how you can tell the difference between versions unless you had some more in depth knowledge.

mrmike

I'm really still considering switching to the Rock Hard. If anyone can give me the measurements like the picture below. I'm using the notch on the door jamb to hold the tape measure. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414814509.985164.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Since good ol iOS8 won't let me post more than one image I will do this in two posts.

Okay this is the best I can do, inebriated and with the doors still on:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414818803.912342.jpg

Yes that's clear RTV on the bolt heads, nice and messy.

pastorwug

Oh man, am I glad I bought the Rock Hard Sport Cage. :clap2:
Frank hasn't installed it yet for me but I'm sure it will be easier for him than that!

PS has screwed you up buddy, I'd cancel and call for a different cage.

mrmike

Here's the drilling template Rock Hard 4x4 provides.

View attachment 107471

Thanks! Let me check mine in comparison. For sure the holes in the template shows more spacing between the bottom holes. ps is only 3.5.

It maybe I can salvage the top two and only worry about the bottom. At this point I'm definitely considering just asking for a refund and going RH.

pastorwug

Good ol' Jerry McGeorge - well, well, - our resident ASE Master Mechanic.

I will say, the welds are not the best, and yes the High School students I used to teach welding to could have done better. :thumb:

Benito

Caught the Bug
The other issue is I am finding out that the lack of the cage tying into the windshield / factor a-pillar is that you end up with wind noise. The only thing left holding the windshield up are the two front pates. So If I stick with it I am going to need some plates fabbed up to tie it all together.

I was set on PS when it came time for me to cage up but after reading this and looking into it up I'm not so sure anymore. Has anyone else on the forum found a solution for this?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I was set on PS when it came time for me to cage up but after reading this and looking into it up I'm not so sure anymore. Has anyone else on the forum found a solution for this?

I believe former member Notajerryskid had to fabricate a piece to tie the windshield in. It's in his build thread the "Kraken."

mrmike

If you go PS and you tie into the windshield you will have an awesome cage. Floor mount and factory cage all in one.

Just know there is a cost in time to get there.

Benito

Caught the Bug
If you go PS and you tie into the windshield you will have an awesome cage. Floor mount and factory cage all in one.

Just know there is a cost in time to get there.

It looks like he pulled the old bracket off the stock cage and welded it to the PS cage. Easy enough I would say

mrmike

In talking to Northridge it sounds like their Colorado store has brackets made to tie into the windshield. Approx 70 bucks. Have to call them directly. That said they don't always require it.

Top Bottom