513 gears on a non Rubi

JohnnyX

So Im wondering if 513 gears will improve my crawl ratio in 4low?? I gotta 08 2 door non Rubicon so my trasfer case ratio is 272 I think. What would be some of the noticable performance off road?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So Im wondering if 513 gears will improve my crawl ratio in 4low?? I gotta 08 2 door non Rubicon so my trasfer case ratio is 272 I think. What would be some of the noticable performance off road?

It will crawl amazing! Have 5.13's in my 2011 2 door sport with 35's and I don't touch the gas half the day. The jeep wants to crawl over the rocks.

StrizzyChris

Abosolutely! Proper gears in your axles are the #1 performance add on that will improve any vehichle ESPECIALLY at low RPMs and low speeds. It will do much much much more than any tuner, turbo, or super charger ever will. The only thing that would help as much as gears is an all new engine.

trailless

Caught the Bug
It will crawl amazing! Have 5.13's in my 2011 2 door sport with 35's and I don't touch the gas half the day. The jeep wants to crawl over the rocks.

Abosolutely! Proper gears in your axles are the #1 performance add on that will improve any vehichle ESPECIALLY at low RPMs and low speeds. It will do much much much more than any tuner, turbo, or super charger ever will. The only thing that would help as much as gears is an all new engine.

Do you recommend running 5.13s on a stock D30? The OP stated that the jeep is not a rubicon. From everything I've read, the ring and pinion would be really small and would be the weakest link.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Are the rpm's still reasonable at hwy speeds with 35's?

Yea somewhat. I tend to not go over 70 anyway for mpg sake but cruising at 65 puts me right around 2400 rpm so I'm still in the "green" section of the tac

StrizzyChris

Do you recommend running 5.13s on a stock D30? The OP stated that the jeep is not a rubicon. From everything I've read, the ring and pinion would be really small and would be the weakest link.

You're absoluetly correct, and the biggest issue the OP has is his 3.8L V6 since he has am '08. There's no blanket answer to what will work for everyone. A D30 that will only see fields in the midwest vs a D30 against the rocks of Cali, AZ, NM will fair very differently. I personally wouldnt go over 4.88's with a D30 and deal with the power losses for what they are.

JohnnyX

Cool! That's the answers I wanted to hear can't wait till its ready now... Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KingCopperhead

Would the 3.6 wind up more at hwy speed?

Hey Panda.

I just went through this whole decision making process the past few days when choosing gears for my 3.6 manual Trans jk.

Keep in mind, this is all based on what I've read and how I came to decide on a gear ratio for my 3.6 6 spd jk.

There's definitely a difference in gearing needs between the 3.6 and 3.8

Read every thread I could find on wayalife and other media outlets. For a manual daily driver that sees a good bit of highway, 4.88's sound like the ticket if you run 35 to 37" tires and want good performance in rocks while still having decent gas mileage for daily use.

5.13's seem to be a bit better in the 3.6 auto's than the manuals, or if your rig doesn't see a whole lot of highway. OR if you're in a 3.8

A lot of it is very subjective and your driving habits and tire size would come into play.

I really tortured myself over this, but after talking to cozdude, noroad and Eddie I got enough real world information to land on a set of 4.88 gears. I'll be running them on 35's until my tires wear out and I can step up to 37's.

I'll let you know how it runs once everything is set up.

Last edited:

Panda

Hey Panda.

I just went through this whole decision making process the past few days when choosing gears for my 3.6 manual Trans jk.

Keep in mind, this is all based on what I've read and how I came to decide on a gear ratio for my 3.6 6 spd jk.

There's definitely a difference in gearing needs between the 3.6 and 3.8

Read every thread I could find on wayalife and other media outlets. For a manual daily driver that sees a good bit of highway, 4.88's sound like the ticket if you run 35 to 37" tires and want good performance in rocks while still having decent gas mileage for daily use.

5.13's seem to be a bit better in the 3.6 auto's than the manuals, or if your rig doesn't see a whole lot of highway. OR if you're in a 3.8

A lot of it is very subjective and your driving habits and tire size would come into play.

I really tortured myself over this, but after talking to cozdude, noroad and Eddie I got enough real world information to land on a set of 4.88 gears. I'll be running them on 35's until my tires wear out and I can step up to 37's.

I'll let you know how it runs once everything is set up.

Thank you for sharing your research :thumb:

Top Bottom